High Speed EUC Riding

Benphysics

Good news!  I found the solution to your speed problem and does not even require a motor.  Therefore, EUCs and PEVs incur no blemish.

I am pretty sure this guy would not be overly impressed with our speed discussion.

I also think his safety video would be lacking.  At least he does have a helmet.  However, not even knee pads. 

Anything with wheels I guess can turn into this...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

15 and 25mph is a huge difference in stopping distance and needed stopping power.

Only my MSuper can go that fast. Even my eBikes are limited to 20 mph.

25 mph is probably four times the braking distance. I notice that even at 20 mph the wind noise is high enough to make hearing music quite difficult.

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Even more so when using a full face helmet.

Suppose you really wanted to hear your music over wind noise and traffic. Just how loud would your speaker have to be? Assuming you wore no helmet.

My guess is only one of those really big Bluetooth speakers would work. 

28 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Suppose you really wanted to hear your music over wind noise and traffic. Just how loud would your speaker have to be? Assuming you wore no helmet.

My guess is only one of those really big Bluetooth speakers would work. 

Yeah you’d need a lot of watts in your speaker or some high speaker efficiency. I’m often shocked at how loud my speakers are when I slow down to a crawl after having coasted at 30mph. 

Cars nowadays have automatic volume adjustment that turns the music up as you go faster and turn it down as you slow down because of wind noise.

Edited by Darrell Wesh

On 8/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, edwin_rm said:

Get the Nikola. While both have a comparable top speed in flat terrain, not so much in hilly terrain. The Nikola can go faster uphill than any other wheel, as of the day/time of this post. I don't know the terrain in your region, but here in California is just hills everywhere.

It's the same here; I live in a valley surrounded by mountains. Very seldom the road/track is on level grounds; or you do up or down along mild inclines, or you find yourself climbing a few thousand feet to go back down a few miles later. I vacation in California during winter; and it is pretty well the same kind of terrain. The biggest difference, here there are far less population.

2 hours ago, vint43 said:

Good news!  I found the solution to your speed problem and does not even require a motor.  Therefore, EUCs and PEVs incur no blemish.

I am pretty sure this guy would not be overly impressed with our speed discussion.

I also think his safety video would be lacking.  At least he does have a helmet.  However, not even knee pads. 

This is a thrill I have not experienced yet. Although I would do it with a padded leather suit and helmet. Mind you, doing this on a public road, not knowing what's coming the other way, I've done this on motorcycles during rallies. In my younger age that is. Although I indulge seeking limits, I'm done taking unnecessary chances.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:41 PM, chrisjunlee said:

How does this explain death wobbles though? To my understanding, it's a runaway process, which is why you have steering dampeners on sportbikes.

But yes, I would love to see the sport of high performance EUC, since that leads to innovations which trickle down to our consumer wheels.

inb4 @mrelwoodtears this idea apart just cause I'm the one suggesting it.

Death wobbles on a motorcycle is the consequence of front fork rake too steep. In order to make racing motorcycles more nimble for rapid directional transfer, the front forks can be lowered or raised to reach a neutral zone. this makes the front wheel very sensitive to motorcycle attitude (front to rear). This is the reason why a steering damper is necessary. Not only did I race motorcycles, I also taught other riders how to prepare their bikes for safety and performance. If you have only one wheel, it is susceptible to wobble by applying light pressure on it top side. Therefore, if you press just a few ounces more on one side than the other, it will tend to want to transfer that pressure 90 deg aft; which means that it will turn slightly from going straight. This will then make the wheel's top side go towards your other leg. This is why it wobbles from one leg to the other. Just remove your legs from touching the top of the wheel.

Edited by Benphysics

15 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

haha, I'm just teasing. He's one of many I really seem to rub the wrong way on this forum. He's a good man :)

Maybe this is not the place to tease someone others don't know.

Edited by Benphysics
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vint43 said:

Thanks for the video, by the way. I've seen it before; but quite an adrenaline rush nonetheless.

32 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

Thanks for the video, by the way. I've seen it before; but quite an adrenaline rush nonetheless.

That certainly wasn’t 70mph. 50mph MAX. Even cars wouldn’t be going down that road at 70mph

• Upvote 1

Since I was missed so dearly, here I am, to flamethrowerburn any and all theories of my randomly chosen blacklisted people to a pulp. And then I’ll burn the pulp as well, until all it's past energy has disappeared - not transformed, but disappeared - completely.

If you have only one wheel, it is susceptible to wobble by applying light pressure on it top side. Therefore, if you press just a few ounces more on one side than the other, it will tend to want to transfer that pressure 90 deg aft; which means that it will turn slightly from going straight. This will then make the wheel's top side go towards your other leg. This is why it wobbles from one leg to the other. Just remove your legs from touching the top of the wheel.

HA! That is utter and clear nons... No, wait, actually, that 90° is 100% true. That is indeed likely the main reason why squeezing the wheel supports wobbles.

In my understanding the only reason standing free of the shell doesn’t always stop or even prevent wobbles, is that one’s feet are getting tired either from being in a crouched position, having beginners’ tense  legs, or just from a long trip. For those situations, (besides carving,) one leg against the shell seems to stop the wobbles quite effectively. All resonances, wobbles included, dislike unsymmetrical disturbances.

When I speed up to ~50km/h on an isolated section, I crouch to decrease wind resistance, and lean my hands on my knee in order not to get my feet tired. One hand per one knee (= symmetrical) tends to promote wobbling, while both hands on only one knee stops them.

Now, as for "inb4 ......" if he tears this idea apart, it's because he's to chicken shit to do it, so no one else should be better than him. If he can't do it, then evolution should stop at his limit. 

I do know a few people that are better than me. One is 11%, the other a whopping 14.5%. Man, he’s THE best dude!

As for evolution... It can’t be stopped, because it’s only a laughable theory from people who don’t thoroughly understand young earth creationism. And that the earth is flat.

PS. What do flat-earthers do when a tire goes flat?

They throw a party and hold up signs saying: ”WE TOLD YOU SO!”

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

That certainly wasn’t 70mph. 50mph MAX. Even cars wouldn’t be going down that road at 70mph

I guess you are not the racer kind; If this road was on a one way closed circuit, cars and motorcycles could do speeds well over 100mph  in such open turns; and the strait sections would even allow between 150 and 200mph. So you are way off  thinking that cars could not even do 70 mph on this stretch of road.

Edited by Benphysics
grammer

37 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

I guess you are not the racer kind; If this road was on a one way closed circuit, cars and motorcycles could do speeds well over 100mph  in such open turns; and the strait sections would even allow between 150 and 200mph. So you are way off  thinking that cars could not even do 70 mph on this stretch of road.

Bit fast for my skill level to be going 200mph on that road, but I know Isle of Man TT contestants would be zipping through that without breaking a sweat 🔥

@Darrell Weshhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

Edited by chrisjunlee

On 8/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, Unventor said:

I am not afraid of speed, but I respect it and what comes with it. 

I were trying to make a point that what you find fun can have huge impact on the community of EUC riders. But that I guess mean little to you. 

More countries and cities are banning EUC all over. They just need an excuse to do it. 

If you take it to a racetrack I am all in for as high speed you like.

In public traffic not so much. 

I guess I've never said where I do high speeds. So if you always ride among pedestrians, I understand your concern; even agree with you. On the other hand, since 90% or more of my riding is where no one is around, then higher speeds is what I'm looking for. Also, there is EUC challenges (competitions) that are being organized for those who want to test their skills. Cross country is one of disciplines; circuit racing is another, obstacles is yet another; EUC cross, And so on. This is what drives me. If you are comfortable where you are, I'm happy for you. My whole point of posting this thread is to find others like me who want to go further; much further. If you are not one of them, and too afraid of getting hurt to go any further, that's all right for you. You are simply not the type. I'm seeking those who, like me, want more and are ready to take the risks; calculated mind you. Together, we can discuss theories and evolve more rapidly and safer. This is what happens around race circuits. We discuss techniques, trials and errors, physics, and, the next time around the track we try what others have found. This allows to reach higher limits. This is how the world evolves. If you're not in the game, that's ok; just don't lecture what you don't know about.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Bit fast for my skill level to be going 200mph on that road, but I know Isle of Man TT contestants would be zipping through that without breaking a sweat 🔥

@Darrell Weshhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

Believe me, at times, especially when a small pebble in the ideal line must be avoided when too close to the edge, we do break a sweat.

16 hours ago, Benphysics said:

not knowing what's coming the other way

I think he does. I would not be surprised this is why he has a radio in his back pocket... He may have buddies down the road to warn him of upcoming traffic...I would.

Just now, pico said:

I think he does. I would not be surprised this is why he has a radio in his back pocket... He may have buddies down the road to warn him of upcoming traffic...I would.

I think that's the only logical solution; otherwise kind of suicidal.

8 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

I guess I've never said where I do high speeds. So if you always ride among pedestrians, I understand your concern; even agree with you. On the other hand, since 90% or more of my riding is where no one is around, then higher speeds is what I'm looking for. Also, there is EUC challenges (competitions) that are being organized for those who want to test their skills. Cross country is one of disciplines; circuit racing is another, obstacles is yet another; EUC cross, And so on. This is what drives me. If you are comfortable where you are, I'm happy for you. My whole point of posting this thread is to find others like me who want to go further; much further. If you are not one of them, and too afraid of getting hurt to go any further, that's all right for you. You are simply not the type. I'm seeking those who, like me, want more and are ready to take the risks; calculated mind you. Together, we can discuss theories and evolve more rapidly and safer. This is what happens around race circuits. We discuss techniques, trials and errors, physics, and, the next time around the track we try what others have found. This allows to reach higher limits. This is how the world evolves. If you're not in the game, that's ok; just don't lecture what you don't know about.

I have found my people :D.

When I ride among the general population, I keep it at a mellow 15 mph. 

When I ride hard, it's with my moto gear on sparse park roads or past midnight on the streets.

Oh I long to get together a small group to rent out a go-kart track for a day. I suggested that to my local group, and they scoffed: why would you waste money on a track when you can ride for free in the streets - they simply could not understand. 

1 hour ago, Benphysics said:

If you are comfortable where you are, I'm happy for you. My whole point of posting this thread is to find others like me who want to go further; much further. If you are not one of them, and too afraid of getting hurt to go any further, that's all right for you. You are simply not the type. I'm seeking those who, like me, want more and are ready to take the risks; calculated mind you.

Is this not the best post ever to tell us men to man up? Why, I even feel a sense of shame in trundling around at 15 mph. My ears would burn with shame being passed by a 70 year old.

There's something wonderful about an old man hell-bent on collecting both his Social Security checks AND broken bones.

Have you gotten a Monster yet? Those can go really fast.

• Like 1