High Speed EUC Riding

Benphysics

1 hour ago, Benphysics said:

If you are afraid of speed, I respect you; but dont lecture me for what I like.

I am not afraid of speed, but I respect it and what comes with it. 

I were trying to make a point that what you find fun can have huge impact on the community of EUC riders. But that I guess mean little to you. 

More countries and cities are banning EUC all over. They just need an excuse to do it. 

If you take it to a racetrack I am all in for as high speed you like.

In public traffic not so much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

How does this explain death wobbles though? To my understanding, it's a runaway process, which is why you have steering dampeners on sportbikes.

But yes, I would love to see the sport of high performance EUC, since that leads to innovations which trickle down to our consumer wheels.

inb4 @mrelwoodtears this idea apart just cause I'm the one suggesting it.

Stability at high speed depends on good road surfaces, Motorcycle at high way speed still gets death wobbles, I have gotten it on my MP3 even though it had 2 front wheels and is suppose to be wobble proof. All it takes is a wavy surface at just the right frequency and amplitude and any wheel will wobble.

I am personally skeptical of wheels reaching that much greater speed beyond 40-50 mph, not that its possible, but given how small the EUC market is, I suspect that all components are adopted from other use and if there is a motor readily available that does not significantly add to the size/cost/ weight of the EUC, We would have seen some attempt at getting it in a wheel. 

How does this explain death wobbles though? To my understanding, it's a runaway process, which is why you have steering dampeners on sportbikes.

But yes, I would love to see the sport of high performance EUC, since that leads to innovations which trickle down to our consumer wheels.

Forced seated riding at 100kmh. 

But really... I wonder how long it would take for them to start using clipless pedals, kneepads and pucks for extreme leaning.
It would definitely lead to innovations in riding technique as well.

inb4 @mrelwoodtears this idea apart just cause I'm the one suggesting it.

:efee612b4b:

• Like 1

I have my tilt back set to 18 MPH. 

On the few occasions I get a tilt back during one of my rides (rarely happens), I feel like an EUC rock star and bad ass.

... I guess I don’t have much to offer this thread.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

Stability at high speed depends on good road surfaces, Motorcycle at high way speed still gets death wobbles, I have gotten it on my MP3 even though it had 2 front wheels and is suppose to be wobble proof. All it takes is a wavy surface at just the right frequency and amplitude and any wheel will wobble.

Keith Code in Twist of the Wrist goes into a lot of detail of why death wobbles occur, and figuring out why death wobbles occur goes a long way to not getting into them in the first place.

Sadly, I think @Hsiangis correct in that there's a hard upper limit to the speed which EUC can achieve. Sport motorcycles have absolutely massive front forks (50mm+!) along with frames that look like pup tents, and hydraulic steering dampers. In comparison, EUCs just have loose human legs; letting the wheel flop between your legs is basically a random chance, dependant on if the wobble is synchronous or not. 

To recommend that one hold the wheel loosely is to go against a hundred years of cycle technology, which has advanced extremely rigid forks. The idea of putting flexible ball joints in the front wheels of motorcycles seem ludicrous, yet that's what the "legs wide apart not touching the wheel" advocates suggest.

You can scientifically demonstrate that perfectly balanced wheels will increase their wobble half the time; simply roll one down the hill and observe if their wobble increases. No rider on the wheel at all is surely the most extreme case of least rider input.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Benphysics said:

First, I'm not stupid.

I'm new around here as well, but I don't think English is Upventor's native language, so at times his word choice can seem pretty curt. 

20 hours ago, Unventor said:

Reading your post both makes me sad and angry. first off you are the type of rider that risk EUC riding getting banned for all of us, imho it is the stupidest thing to do.

The way I hear it in my head is: "Your post concerns me, since this mentality is what can ban and ruin EUCs for all of us, which IMHO is short sighted."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I've said prior that the Nikola+ is, in my 3 year, 18 wheel, all brands buying history, the best wheel I have ever purchased to date.

Wow, it's #1 for you now?

I'm in favor of the 378V Nikola Plus XR

6 hours ago, Jerome said:

(or spandex if the spirit moves you)

Image result for spandex unicycle

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

There is immense satisfaction to be had to be able to blow through traffic at even a modest 20-30mph, and be able to roll right up to your destination and trolley your wheel in with you while everyone else is stuck looking for parking and while the bicyclists are wasting precious minutes looping their cables and U locks around and through poles and gates. 

There is immense satisfaction in traveling at 30mph like a car on the road and seeing a friend on the sidewalk and easily making a U turn and being able to ride up on the sidewalk at 5mph as if you too were a pedestrian. 

There is immense satisfaction in being able to go off road to take that shortcut you wished your car could go through. 

There is an even immensererer satisfaction doing all that at 25,054 mph, whizzing past the ISS.

11 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

There is an even immensererer satisfaction doing all that at 25,054 mph, whizzing past the ISS.

There is an even immensierererer satisfaction when you show to the world the scars on your hands, knees and elbows! Pure joy!

10 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Today's model EUCs brake fine IMHO, it's just technique.

Do not straightline brake if you want to shorten your braking distance. Always initiate the brake with front swinging leg sway (like natural rolling resistance/slowdown of a car no longer applying gas; wheel moves ahead of your torso, your butt cocking significantly behind the wheel); then pump alternating left-right on your pedals, force focused through the heels and transmitted through alternating straightened legs (I'll even be heels on the back edges of the pedals most times, with that toe pivoted up in the air); and combine the pumps with S-curves, to elongate stopping distance (the road footprint of EUCs are so small (even for the Monster) that not S-curve braking just makes no sense IMHO).

If you can get the hang of this, even "weak"-er braking EUCs, like the Z10, will brake just fine IMHO.

I wonder about physics here. Letting it go in front make total sense. Yet afterwards pumping (and soft mode) make the physics at best vague. Also I vaguely remember there are some human powered vehicles that get forward speed by carving...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LucasD said:

I wonder about physics here. Letting it go in front make total sense. Yet afterwards pumping (and soft mode) make the physics at best vague. Also I vaguely remember there are some human powered vehicles that get forward speed by carving...

Let me play you the song of my people.

11 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Come on man, if you’re using an EUC for the joy of speeding then you’re using the wrong PEV.

Yes, the Gotways go relatively fast, but trying to siphon joy out of an electric unicycle through going fast is missing the point. Freedom. And going faster is not freedom. 

There is immense satisfaction to be had to be able to blow through traffic at even a modest 20-30mph, and be able to roll right up to your destination and trolley your wheel in with you while everyone else is stuck looking for parking and while the bicyclists are wasting precious minutes looping their cables and U locks around and through poles and gates. 

There is immense satisfaction in traveling at 30mph like a car on the road and seeing a friend on the sidewalk and easily making a U turn and being able to ride up on the sidewalk at 5mph as if you too were a pedestrian. 

There is immense satisfaction in being able to go off road to take that shortcut you wished your car could go through. 

I honestly feel bad for you if you call your XL “boring” just because it’s not fast enough. You should really take the time to explore the intricacies and benefits of riding an EUC. 

Great post, you should copyright it! There is nothing an E-wheel advertiser could say that is more accurate or compelling. :cheers:

Edited by Jerome
  • Upvote 2

I see one other issue, and the OP should know this considering his vast experience on two wheels. Straight line speed as a kick gets boring very fast. No matter what your top speed will be (ok, I'm not saying you should stick to 10mph, but at 25 we are already getting in quite windy territory :D ), once you do this on a regular basis it will be perceived as "normal" and you no longer care. What's next? The quest for a 50mph euc, and then 60mph, and then .... ? It's like buying cars or motorcycles based on hp. Give it 1 month and you'll be used to that hp. If that's your kick, get into drag racing. Combine this with the fact that every extra mph increases the risks of serious injury, and not in a linear way, and you know where this is heading.

It's also quite ironic that someone who spent his live racing on a track now all of the sudden seeks his joy in straight line speeding. I am spending my life on the track and straight line speeding is the last thing I am looking for. If anything my track toys have had less and less hp :lol:

If you want "kicks", take your KS18XL and go do some mountainbike trails and let us know when you will be hitting 25mph on those :D There are thrills to be found, especially downhill.

I stopped riding on paved roads unless it's to get somewhere/shopping. Off road is a lot more challenging.

Or if you want cheap straight line kicks, ride an mten3 on tiltback :p 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That's what you say.

I want to see a test: a bicycle ridden at 25mph and a euc. Both slam the brakes. Who will stop first?

The real question is how far will the bicyclist fly over the handlebars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That's what you say.

I want to see a test: a bicycle ridden at 25mph and a euc. Both slam the brakes. Who will stop first?

I didn't do this test at 25 mph but at 15, with a 14, 16, 18, and my two disc brake electric bicycles.

I was surprised, shocked even, that all EUC braked about the same. I'm swear they sure don't feel like they do, because the 14 inchers feel substantially shorter...they have instant on power.

The bicycles are far easier to brake, and it's very repeatable, but the EUC while they brake within the same distance, are accompanied by a great deal of arm waving (and fear).

The expected outcome differs so greatly from the observed outcome, that I'd like to see others replicate the test, but from the 15 mph all vehicles are very close to each other in braking distance.

From 25 mph, I'd think the bicycle has an advantage due to control, that is, it's stable under braking while the EUCs are not very stable.