Atlanta E-Scooter Usage/Rental Nighttime Ban

gon2fast

10 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I read that in my newsfeed!

It bans all PEV until bicycle/scooter infrastructure is built (if no infrastructure is even started, that is effectively a permanent ban). If you click around on this link you'll see quite a number of eScooter deaths.

Interestingly, eScooters are banned from riding on the sidewalk. After riding eScooters quite a lot this past week, I'd have to say the sidewalk is the only semi-safe place for them, because being hit by a driver is infinitely worse than knocking over a pedestrian. Despite having a higher average higher speed, eScooters have poor and dangerous maneuverable compared to, well, anything else except skateboards.

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

After riding eScooters quite a lot this past week, I'd have to say the sidewalk is the only semi-safe place for them, because being hit by a driver is infinitely worse than knocking over a pedestrian.

Tell that to the pedestrians that get run into by reckless escooter riders. There have been some people seriously injured, and I am not talking about the person on the scooter.

Where I live we can ride all that stuff on the sidewalk, but we are not allowed to go faster than 4mph.

Edited by ir_fuel

21 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

that to the pedestrians that get run into by reckless escooter riders.

I understand that, I'm saying that from the scooter riders point of view, it's better to be on the sidewalk and injure someone over being killed. The problem being, of course, that the infrastructure isn't there for scooters and bicyclists.

Atlanta leads in eScooter fatalities!

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/8/9/20797437/atlanta-e-scooter-deaths-dc-los-angeles-san-diego

All killed by drivers.

Also from the article, 

Having the context that 115 people died in one year of car crashes in Fulton County and 95 in DeKalb puts things in perspective,” she said