My Nikola plus is here and it’s so smooth!!

Excellent write up.

Helped me to decide to probably go for the MSX next year and not the Nikola.

Why:

- Ground clearance (key offroad)

- softer pedals (i ride a tesla in HARD, so MSX is softer and Nikola more so, that would be like soft mode? On Tesla? Well, not for me)

- Shinyness / scratchability.

When i trained i protected my Tesla to "not hsving to uy spare parts after one week" :D but to me a wheel is like a motorbike. Its meant to be used and i dont mind a rugged finish as long as the internals and tyre are SAFE. To me the wheel is just an extension of my body = it has to work but doesnt have to look perfect...not looking perfect just makes it matche me and my body so much more, I'm 46 with some scratches but still functionally OK :P

- Weight / steering speed? I dont know how its compared to the MSX, but from what i have tested, the wider the tyre, the slower the turn speed / direction change speed. And the heavier, the more effort to jump & turn.

-  braking and accel? That csn be compensated by motor wattage, but how do you rate it vs msx, especially braking. Accel is pretty lousy on all wheels anyway (vs motorbikes) and its not critical in most cases (except when overtaking idiotic bicyclists maybe :) )

Edited by Boogieman
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Thanks for all the info., whats the Nikola top speed? faster than MSX or ?...

I haven’t tested that yet.  Other people who the no rider lift speed found their top speeds to be about the same.  A light skilled rider can hit 40 mph on the 100v version of both.  @Darrell Wesh hit 40 mph on the Nikola plus.

17 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Thanks for all the info., whats the Nikola top speed? faster than MSX or ?...

Depends on weight. At 190lbs with gear top speed is about 42mph

21 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Excellent write up.

Helped me to decide to probably go for the MSX next year and not the Nikola.

Why:

- Ground clearance (key offroad)

- softer pedals (i ride a tesla in HARD, so MSX is softer and Nikola more so, that would be like soft mode? On Tesla? Well, not for me)

- Shinyness / scratchability.

When i trained i protected my Tesla to "not hsving to uy spare parts after one week" :D but to me a wheel is like a motorbike. Its meant to be used and i dont mind a rugged finish as long as the internals and tyre are SAFE. To me the wheel is just an extension of my body = it has to work but doesnt have to look perfect...not looking perfect just makes it matche me and my body so much more, I'm 46 with some scratches but still functionally OK :P

- Weight / steering speed? I dont know how its compared to the MSX, but from what i have tested, the wider the tyre, the slower the turn speed / direction change speed. And the heavier, the more effort to jump & turn.

-  braking and accel? That csn be compensated by motor wattage, but how do you rate it vs msx, especially braking. Accel is pretty lousy on all wheels anyway (vs motorbikes) and its not critical in most cases (except when overtaking idiotic bicyclists maybe :) )

Buy my MSX !

On 8/8/2019 at 6:32 PM, photorph said:

Best riding wheel out of the 4 I’ve ridden!  (Inmotion v8, v10, MSX).  

How would you compare the Nikola vs the V10 ? 

- Pedal size

- Pedal height

- Weight

- Acceleration & braking

I'm also interested how the Nikola can be handled on stairs.  The handle bar seems quite broad, and seems to have a hole on the bottom of it.  Seems rather awkward to do stairs with this massive wheel...

4 hours ago, Kristof Willen said:

How would you compare the Nikola vs the V10 ? 

- Pedal size

- Pedal height

- Weight

- Acceleration & braking

I'm also interested how the Nikola can be handled on stairs.  The handle bar seems quite broad, and seems to have a hole on the bottom of it.  Seems rather awkward to do stairs with this massive wheel...

Some of your assumptions are on point.  The handle bar is useless and is very broad, I have large hands compared to the average guy and I cannot use the handle.  The only way to use the handle is to use two hands and put one hand in from each side.  The wheel is almost 60 lbs, the heaviest wheel I've ever had.  Lifting it is not fun at all, and I wouldn't want to carry it up and down stairs.  You are 100% correct that it will be awkward on stairs, it's just plain awkward to carry unless you are trolleying it around.  

The trolley handle is...better than the MSX for sure, but not as good as any kingsong or my inmotion v8.  It is almost the same as the v10, but maybe the v0 is a little bit better because the handle of trolley is designed for human hands.  On the nikola the handle for trolley is like a flat rectangle.  

Pedal size, not as big as v10 but it's big enough.  I think the pedals on the nikola plus are perfect.  Same with pedal height, it's not as high as the v10 or the msx, but good enough.  Weight is...heavy, no other way to put it.  It's 10 lbs heavier than my msx, scroll above and I have the exact weights.  

The v10 has a thinner tire and is just much thinner, it's easier to throw around.  The nikola is a beast on the other hand...but that also goes for range and peformance compared to the v10.  The v10 will get murdered by the nikola.  The comfort and ride quality is much better than the v10 because of the thicker tire, and because of more powerful motor.  The range on the nikola plus is a lot more.  Lastly, that annoying beep on the v10 at 25 mph is not there on the nikola...you won't hear any beeps up until 35 ish mph and that's as fast as I've gone.  

B59AFD86-18B4-49E5-90CD-BA2303297297.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, photorph said:

Lifting it is not fun at all, and I wouldn't want to carry it up and down stairs.  You are 100% correct that it will be awkward on stairs, it's just plain awkward to carry unless you are trolleying it around.  

Well, that's a bummer.  I commute by train and that's a lot of stairs to climb on a daily base.  I was already frowning on the advertised 23kg weight on all those Nikola+ wheels you see on Ali.  I guess that's the 1230Wh base model data the Ali vendors simply copy & paste.  

Sigh - I guess every 1800+Wh wheel weighs a ton.   Gosh, can someone teleport me into the future where our 50K Wh wheels weigh only a fraction of ours today ? 

One last question : does the Nikola have an anti spin button ? If that's not the case, it's over & out for the Nikola for me. 

5 hours ago, Kristof Willen said:

One last question : does the Nikola have an anti spin button ? If that's not the case, it's over & out for the Nikola for me. 

It does, when you lift it with two hands you use both hands to press the button.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, photorph said:

It does, when you lift it with two hands you use both hands to press the button.  

My understanding is that there is a button under either side of the wide handle, and either one triggers it. Both are under a plate of sorts that transfers the pressure to the buttons.

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-znakomstvo-10.jpg

Photo from EcoDrift

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

My understanding is that there is a button under either side of the wide handle, and either one triggers it. Both are under a plate of sorts that transfers the pressure to the buttons.

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-znakomstvo-10.jpg

Photo from EcoDrift

That guy is making a one handed lift look effortless , it’s a different story if you try to do it with one hand in the real world. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, photorph said:

That guy is making a one handed lift look effortless , it’s a different story if you try to do it with one hand in the real world. 

It’s more finger grip strength then any other EUC because you can’t completely wrap your hand around it. I find it practical and completely fine to pick up the Nikola. 

It feels lighter than the Z10 that’s for sure 😄

• Like 2

Thanks for the info!  Currently have a KS18L that I love but want to get something with more range.  

Not sure whether to go with the Nikola or the KS 16X

I am in Rochester Michigan, where are you located?  Haven't seen any other EUC's in my area.

Edited by Themarsman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Themarsman said:

Thanks for the info!  Currently have a KS18L that I love but want to get something with more range.  

Not sure whether to go with the Nikola or the KS 16S  

I am in Rochester Michigan, where are you located?  Haven't seen any other EUC's in my area.

You are?? I’m close to novi area.  I’ve met 3 other people who ride EUCs around us. I rode with 2 of them a few times.  Here is a video, I’m the one in red helmet.

if you are on facebook join EUC Detroit. If you are on Instagram you can find me @photorph85 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, photorph said:

You are?? I’m close to novi area.  I’ve met 3 other people who ride EUCs around us. I rode with 2 of them a few times.  Here is a video, I’m the one in red helmet.

if you are on facebook join EUC Detroit. If you are on Instagram you can find me @photorph85 

Great Video!  You guys are definitely more hard core than I am right now.  I just passed 100 miles on the KS 18L and have done some light off road stuff but not as technical as that.

I used to do a lot of work in Novi, it is only 45 minutes from my house so I will definitely meet up for some rides, just started here on the forum so I can't PM you yet.  Just found the group on FB and sent in a request.

• Like 1