Lessons from my first full speed faceplant

glorat

20 minutes ago, glorat said:

I got lucky today. I've been commuting on my EUC for nearly a year. Before today, the worst was getting bumped off the EUC but landing on my feet with no issue for myself. Today I was cruising at top speed of 20kph on my Inmotion V5D, watching a blaring ambulance in the opposite direction pass by, meaning my attention missed the huge bump in the path. As I was launched off, I luckily managed two steps on my legs but the high speed meant I couldn't keep forward balance so I was into a faceplant. But saved by having wrist guards, which took the brunt of the fall and then took most of the sliding damage I slid forward. I escaped with minor cuts and bruises on my elbow and torso from the slide.

I got away with it because I stuck to these principles I believed in before and believe in even more now

• Do not ride faster than you can run. I can run at 20kph. This minimizes injuries to what happens if you trip over running
  • If you had to pick ONE piece of equipment to use, ALWAYS wear wrist guards
  • No matter how experienced you are, you never be complacent

Stay safe everyone! I learned a painful lesson today.

Glad you’re OK.  I for one don’t have time to get injured so I wear full safety gear. Some people probably think I look ridiculous but I couldn’t care less.  Obviously a helmet is a no brainer but other types of protection to keep you from getting road rash is extremely helpful. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, glorat said:

I got lucky today. I've been commuting on my EUC for nearly a year. Before today, the worst was getting bumped off the EUC but landing on my feet with no issue for myself. Today I was cruising at top speed of 20kph on my Inmotion V5D, watching a blaring ambulance in the opposite direction pass by, meaning my attention missed the huge bump in the path. As I was launched off, I luckily managed two steps on my legs but the high speed meant I couldn't keep forward balance so I was into a faceplant. But saved by having wrist guards, which took the brunt of the fall and then took most of the sliding damage I slid forward. I escaped with minor cuts and bruises on my elbow and torso from the slide.

I got away with it because I stuck to these principles I believed in before and believe in even more now

• Do not ride faster than you can run. I can run at 20kph. This minimizes injuries to what happens if you trip over running
  • If you had to pick ONE piece of equipment to use, ALWAYS wear wrist guards
  • No matter how experienced you are, you never be complacent

Stay safe everyone! I learned a painful lesson today.

that sucks, glad you made it out mostly unscathed.. though i would say 99% of the people riding are doing so faster than they can run.. isnt much point otherwise id just get a kick scooter for 50 bucks then xD wrist guards are always the best idea though right before knee pads from what ive seen.. i dont see much of a point in a helmet if you have those two and are going under 40 kmph i cant imagine many scenarios where you would hit your head but better safe than sorry. btw what damage did your V5D sustain?

For those wanting to go faster than running speed (>20kph), well I'd love to do that one day actually. But when that day comes, you can sure I'd be fully kitted in body armor and head/chin protection! Under running speed, I feel okay only having wrist guards, even after this accident.

When I got up, I found my V5D wedged into the metal barrier between the bicycle lane and the car lanes. The only new damage is a sizeable dent into the pedal (probably that hit the barrier first). It looked okay, so I got up and went back riding as if nothing happening. (A few hours on without adrenaline, those bruises are pretty achey...). I'm assuming nothing else bad has happened but I don't know how to do more than a cursory check on the EUC anyway.

27 minutes ago, glorat said:

For those wanting to go faster than running speed (>20kph), well I'd love to do that one day actually. But when that day comes, you can sure I'd be fully kitted in body armor and head/chin protection! Under running speed, I feel okay only having wrist guards, even after this accident.

First off I do hope you out of pain soon, and ok. But as your title for this thread indicate it is imhp important to reflect on an accident. And thanks for sharing.

To your list of things I like to say I learned this the hard way too, always be aware with speed comes added risk, and that increases must more that the speed you add, it is not lineiar.

You can do with many thing in pain, but the head have a special status, despite what some think, it is hard to do without. So a helmet might not be a bad choice.

Sidenote: I used to ride around up to 40ish kmh. I don't anymore after my dislocated shoulder accident ( despite wearing body/shoulder protection 3D0). these days I cruise at 30ish kmh to max 35kmh. Now 5 months after I still have some limitations with my shoulder. maybe in 3-5 months more it will be back to 99%. But it could have been so much worse.

Edited by Unventor

glad all is well. 

you are right about the wrist guards, i had my first fall on pavement last week and landed palms flat out, luckily no elbow scrapes just. if i had been wearing gloves it'd been better; fingers were bleeding.

have fun and be safe

One of my first crashes was on a VF5, and in retrospect I didn't actually crash but prematurely jumped off the wheel for no apparent reason except that I got spooked that I was leaned too far forward. I wasn't actually so, and the incline of a bottom part of a hill fooled me.

Jumping off and landing peeled back the sole of my shoe like a banana peel, and the wheel went on and on, dead straight like an arrow, cresting the hill and continuing beyond sight until it hit some bushes beyond.

To my viewpoint, the wheel disappeared, for all appearances as if by magic.

If it makes you feel better, over the past three days I've seen just a pile of eScooter crashes, several minor ones and a few major ones, so I think EUC riders are a pretty skillful bunch, because you need pretty good control to get going, but an eScooter requires no skill whatsoever to build enough speed to crash.

47 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Another thing that can make 20+ rides safer is to not ride a V5 :D

O: i love the V5 so ridiculously nimble, light and fun to ride, never let me down.. but then again i weigh as much as a small child so yes, unless you also do the V5 is not extremely safe to ride haha

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Another thing that can make 20+ rides safer is to not ride a V5 :D

The most important safety feature of the V5 is that its top speed is 20kph!

Seriously though, that's one of the reasons I bought it. I can run 20kph and I didn't want to be tempted by a wheel that could go faster than that. I know I wouldn't be able to resist 

7 hours ago, glorat said:

The most important safety feature of the V5 is that its top speed is 20kph!

Seriously though, that's one of the reasons I bought it. I can run 20kph and I didn't want to be tempted by a wheel that could go faster than that. I know I wouldn't be able to resist 

should have got the v5f/+ 25 km/h :P

If you wanna go fast(er) wear full gear and ride the wheel that has enough extra so you dont reach the cut off. MSX riding closer to a year 45-50km/h no cutoff. Msuper V3 cut off at 48km/h hitting major hole and lower battery (full gear), lesson learned to pay a lot more attention to rode.

Learn limitation of your wheen and dont go over that and you (should) be ok...