Skydio 2 ..... is coming

Bob Eisenman

21 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The new...smaller..and improved Skydio drone

I read about it on a drone forum.

https://dronedj.com/2019/08/05/skydio-2-video/

@Rehab1

@Marty Backe

"The makers of the amazing R1 drone are getting ready for the launch of their successor drone. Today, Skydioshared with us the first footage from the Skydio 2. We’re expecting this new drone to be smaller, lighter, less expensive, and better than the original Skydio R1."

https://sparkpilots.com/threads/the-world’s-first-glimpse-from-skydio-2-video.15223/

Sorry for the delay Bob! Yes I did hear the rumor which now seems to be legitimate. Such a big expense the first time around. Skydio will need to be far advanced from the current version before I decide to purchase their new model.  

If Skydio has added new and improved autonomous flight algorithms to their updated model as they have allude to then I’m sure they possess the knowledge to allow existing users to download a software update. Do I believe this will happen....NO!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Is this what SpeedyFeet is using?

I think (not 100%sure) he has a DJI spark unless he upgraded it. 

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

If Skydio has added new and improved autonomous flight algorithms to their updated model as they have allude to then I’m sure they possess the knowledge to allow existing users to download a software update. Do I believe this will happen....NO!

Could be they rely on different type of sensors and faster processing power. But will know if the future I guess. Right now they don't sell them in EY anyway... But it was on my interest list. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

Last time I saw it it was for sure not a DJI product.

Ohh sorry I meant DJI mavic air.... But I have not watched some of his later recordings. 

As for the Skydio, it cought my interest as I don't like the 360 cameras fisheye desorption and I can't see me using a long selphy pole either. 

44 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Is this what SpeedyFeet is using?

29 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Last time I saw it it was for sure not a DJI product.

30 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I think (not 100%sure) he has a DJI spark unless he upgraded it. 

I believe Ian has the Skydio. 

27 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Could be they rely on different type of sensors and faster processing power.

Your probably correct. Amazing how fast drones evolve.

Currently the US government is concerned about DJI’s massive drone presence in our country and how the public’s collective digital data is shared with China’s government.  

Skydio is built in the America so there just might be an avenue for them to gain both public and US governmental interest in this ever expanding market. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Skydio will need to be far advanced from the current version before I decide to purchase their new model.  

I can relate to that...

I bought a GoPro Fusion a few weeks ago....jumping at the reduced price. Now Fusion 2 with a kind of fast flow state processing is ready for market.

It can take a long time to stitch a bunch of 360's from front and back camera images and then overcapture a 2d movie with key frames with the current camera version.

https://gearmashers.com/gopro-fusion-2-rumors/

Despite the video processing delays I'll be sticking with GoPro Fusion (first version). I like the end result video it can produce.

4 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I can relate to that...

I bought a GoPro Fusion a few weeks ago....jumping at the reduced price. Now Fusion 2 with a kind of fast flow state processing is ready for market.

It can take a long time to stitch a bunch of 360's from front and back camera images and then overcapture a 2d movie with key frames with the current camera version.

https://gearmashers.com/gopro-fusion-2-rumors/

Despite the video processing delays I'll be sticking with GoPro Fusion (first version). I like the end result video it can produce.

Hmm! There's some "interesting" stuff in that article.

GoPro didn't bet on VR. In fact when we launched Fusion we said that VR hadn't come to fruition yet and OverCapture was more interesting to GoPro and its users.

Fusion wasn't a flop and it didn't eat in to our profits. The writer is confused.

The areas that were problematic were the drone  the media segments. Nearly all the layouts were associated with exiting those markets.

Edited by Jon Stern

11 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

when we launched Fusion we said that VR hadn't come to fruition yet

360 in VR (goggles) is fascinating. Example: sitting in the cockpit of the Blue Angels. YouTube , with metadata for 360 present in the video at upload, has brought the VR experience to 'Google cardboard' and 1080p smartphone users.

As an owner of a  360fly I dabbled in 360 but was unexpectedly plagued by viewer comments about the need for stabilization and it's non-true (bottom cutout) 360 format. While it shoots 4k my 1080p max phone screen can't really use the 360fly app correctly.  I thought of creating a gimbal from parts but decided not to. Possessing a YI gimbal, designed for YI action cameras I tried taping the 360fly to the variable static position gimbal. A review of my first take with the contraption mounted atop my EUC helmet showed that the cameras weight tipped the gimbal position over within seconds of use.

The GoPro Fusion at $299 was an easy to accept, ready to go solution.   While the app requires a higher resolution smart phone than I own , the desktop studio software, manual camera setting operation and provided stick allow me to create 1080p 360 or 1080p 2d overcapture video. Overcapture with the Desktop software is less dynamic than using 360 desktop (PowerDirector 16) video software.

My work flow is:

1- stitch the 360 video at 3k from front/back camera source (time consuming)

2- import the 360 Fusion video to PowerDirector as a 2d project and create (point of view) keyframes for over capture.

3- render out the keyframed 2d video at about 2048 wide (just guessing...I'm not at my laptop now) for YouTube uploads (about 1:1 or 1:2 in terms of processing time relative to the source video length)

Example

https://youtu.be/6ZPE6VZtF90

4- resize to 1080p for viewing on Android (my phone that can't playback 4k video).

My laptop which runs the GoPro Studio doesn't really handle 4k or 5k video well so 3k is a good compromise.

I like watching 360 in VR with 'Merge' VR goggles and 'Fulldive VR' Android app display (smartphone) as a unique viewing experience but it is secondary to making 2d overcapture video, perhaps because the additional step of resizing the 360 video to 1080p is time consuming.

I do like using the vr goggles approach for viewing 360 panorama stills. Head tracking sensors and the VR experience are unique and fun.

I'm still not up to the Occulus VR viewing experience.

My phone: Moto G6 Play

My laptop: Asus (at least 3 years old)

Edited by Bob Eisenman