Please help! Smoking EUC motherboard, possible to fix?

Tom

Double check the hall cable connector, that would be my current best guess. Actually I can only think of cable issues (maybe even power cables), because all the other things I could think of are very unlikely (what makes accel? => gyro/accel unit: well I have no experience but I've not even seen a singly mobile phone with strange behavior here; software: near to impossible; hall sensors (if connected properly) just tell the controller 'where' the wheel is and so it can decide which coils to power next to give then one or other direction, so there is no difference in rotation of one or the other direction; Motor driver: Same than hall sensors, it's just the order of states that changes, but the over all states are the same for both directions) so I can only imagine cables having more or less contact in one direction or the other, just give it a try.

15 hours ago, jayjay23 said:

Double check the hall cable connector, that would be my current best guess. Actually I can only think of cable issues (maybe even power cables), because all the other things I could think of are very unlikely (what makes accel? => gyro/accel unit: well I have no experience but I've not even seen a singly mobile phone with strange behavior here; software: near to impossible; hall sensors (if connected properly) just tell the controller 'where' the wheel is and so it can decide which coils to power next to give then one or other direction, so there is no difference in rotation of one or the other direction; Motor driver: Same than hall sensors, it's just the order of states that changes, but the over all states are the same for both directions) so I can only imagine cables having more or less contact in one direction or the other, just give it a try.

Thanks. I took the hall sensor cable out, and pushed the pins tightly together and reinstalled. This time, the EUC calibrated properly, now it is working :D only 2 issues remaining:

• There is still a jerking/jumping/vibrating effect when i roll the wheel by hand slowly (both directions), it's much less but it generally feels nowhere near as smooth as it did originally, could this be due to the calibration not being perfect? Maybe the controller needs to be mounted at a different angle or position in relation to the wheel?
  • The power button doesn't work sometimes, it won't turn off unless it disconnect the battery, it seems to be random!

2 hours ago, Tom said:
  • There is still a jerking/jumping/vibrating effect when i roll the wheel by hand slowly (both directions), it's much less but it generally feels nowhere near as smooth as it did originally, could this be due to the calibration not being perfect? Maybe the controller needs to be mounted at a different angle or position in relation to the wheel?
  • The power button doesn't work sometimes, it won't turn off unless it disconnect the battery, it seems to be random!

If you roll the wheel with the power off, is the roughness there? If so it must be the bearings. If not then it seems like a motor issue. 

On the power button, it wouldn't surprise me if the button itself is bad. You can get a replacement pretty cheap at places like AliExpress. Otherwise it's likely to be a problem in the control board since the power button isn't usually a battery disconnect on most EUCs.

Puhh, well I have some small issues on my whee too and really don't know were they come from, in your case if you feel that the jerkiness is depended on wheel tit or vibration amount I would check if the cables could be still a little loose. You can also check the Hall Sensor plus cable if it has the same voltage, I think your old board may have 4,3 volt, maybe the hall sensors don't like it if this would be 5V, but I really don't know.

Is your new board the same layout than your old one or a bit different?

The power button on my old board (which is the one you had also) connects the battery voltage to the power supply circuit, so it's not a virtual switch, it's a real power switch, but it doesn't switch the motor power, the MOSFETS are always connected as soon as a battery is connected, but the IC doesn't get power and doesn't tell anything to the MOSFETs.

So above statement should be right, this is a switch problem.

On 06/11/2015, 14:02:03, dmethvin said:

If you roll the wheel with the power off, is the roughness there? If so it must be the bearings. If not then it seems like a motor issue. 

On the power button, it wouldn't surprise me if the button itself is bad. You can get a replacement pretty cheap at places like AliExpress. Otherwise it's likely to be a problem in the control board since the power button isn't usually a battery disconnect on most EUCs.

I can't really feel any when rolling it by hand. I have noticed if I hold the case and let the wheel rotate, there is a noticeable 5-7mm side to side wobble on the wheel. I dont know if this is normal, I can't really feel it whilst riding.

On 06/11/2015, 18:44:35, jayjay23 said:

Puhh, well I have some small issues on my whee too and really don't know were they come from, in your case if you feel that the jerkiness is depended on wheel tit or vibration amount I would check if the cables could be still a little loose. You can also check the Hall Sensor plus cable if it has the same voltage, I think your old board may have 4,3 volt, maybe the hall sensors don't like it if this would be 5V, but I really don't know.

Is your new board the same layout than your old one or a bit different?

The power button on my old board (which is the one you had also) connects the battery voltage to the power supply circuit, so it's not a virtual switch, it's a real power switch, but it doesn't switch the motor power, the MOSFETS are always connected as soon as a battery is connected, but the IC doesn't get power and doesn't tell anything to the MOSFETs.

So above statement should be right, this is a switch problem.

The jerkiness only happens when rolling the wheel very slowly by hand, so it isn't really a problem in actual use - as I found out today with more riding. I would say the only remaining problem is the balance seems far too soft, it doesn't respond as quickly as my friends generic EUC. Still very rideable but it can feel unstable if I try leaning too quickly, I'm not sure I can do anything about this?

I'm pretty sure the power button is faulty, I've found that wiggling it a bit makes it work again (for now) I've ordered another.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The jerkiness only happens when rolling the wheel very slowly by hand

Is the pattern randomly or is it more like a constant but speed dependent rippling? If so it's maybe even the normal behavior of the controller/firmware for low speed. I mean some sort of rippling on low speed is the normal way the thing works and depending on how good the fine tuning of the controller is against the motor this may be more or less smooth. Regarding softness of the tilt response this is probably also dependent on the controllers algorithm, I can only compare my old original generic controller firmware which was the hardest I rode so far, against the MW 30BS controller which has 3 modes, and even the hardest mode is a little more soft than the generic and the soft modes, wow the feel horrible in my opinion, you have to lean so much if you are not used to it, you think you are falling over :-)

1 hour ago, jayjay23 said:

Is the pattern randomly or is it more like a constant but speed dependent rippling? If so it's maybe even the normal behavior of the controller/firmware for low speed. I mean some sort of rippling on low speed is the normal way the thing works and depending on how good the fine tuning of the controller is against the motor this may be more or less smooth. Regarding softness of the tilt response this is probably also dependent on the controllers algorithm, I can only compare my old original generic controller firmware which was the hardest I rode so far, against the MW 30BS controller which has 3 modes, and even the hardest mode is a little more soft than the generic and the soft modes, wow the feel horrible in my opinion, you have to lean so much if you are not used to it, you think you are falling over :-)

The pattern is constant, kind of a vibration, so yeah probably the controller is slightly misconfigured for my wheel at low speed. The soft feel is much harder to ride, I can do it fine now but my brother keeps falling off like a newbie - even though he rides the other one fine.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

I can't really feel any when rolling it by hand. I have noticed if I hold the case and let the wheel rotate, there is a noticeable 5-7mm side to side wobble on the wheel. I dont know if this is normal, I can't really feel it whilst riding.

If there there is no play in the wheel but the rim is warped, that could definitely cause vibration while riding it. If it's just the tire you could try dropping the pressure a bit and reseating the tire on the rim.

If there's actual play in the rim while it's turned off, that definitely sounds like the wheel is too loose on the hub. You don't want it to be so tight that the bearings bind up, and as you ride the wheel it will warm a bit so you have to leave some room for expansion. But I don't feel any wobble in the bearings on either of my wheels, even when they are cold.

Archived