Kingsong KS18XL warning alarms.

Gasmantle

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a KS18XL as an upgrade from my V5F shortly but a number of youtube reviews I've watched has the reviewers complaining about the irritating alarms / warnings. I assumed they could be silenced from the app in the way my V5F can but the vast number of complaints seems to imply they can't.

Can anyone please clarify can the wheel have all it's warnings silenced? I can live with a low battery warning occasionally but I really don't want warnings about speed, lean angles, bluetooth connection etc.

Cheers :)

• Upvote 1

With Kingsong app on Android you can disable all speed warnings (maybe except the final 50 km/h one?)

I only managed to silence "Bluetooth is connected" by decreasing volume via the app, but that disables the speakers completely.

Edited by Tadas
  • Like 1

Thanks, even if I can turn the volume so low that I can hardly hear it would be ok :)

I did download the Kingsong app to see what can be done but until I register it with a wheel (which I haven't yet got) I can't see what the app allows.

Edited by Gasmantle

All alarms but the last one can be turned off. KingSong doesn't want you to die so it will politely remind you to slow down with beeps. At 31mph the beeps are faint but audible. The voice warnings can be turned off. As a guy who likes speed, I rarely hear the beeps because 30 mph is really fast.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I rarely connect to Bluetooth mostly because of that loud voice over you mentioned. I'd be happy to answer any other questions and or provide you with videos if you have further questions.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

I rarely connect to Bluetooth mostly because of that loud voice over you mentioned. I'd be happy to answer any other questions and or provide you with videos if you have further questions.

Thanks, I'm fairly new to this game and when I bought my V5F a few months ago it kept giving me warnings of be 'be careful' when I was learning to ride and falling off quite a bit, once I realised I could turn off the sound it was far better.

I'm someone who isn't interested in having music playing from the wheel when I ride and I'm not to bothered about fancy LED lights either so I'm kinda after a wheel with decent performance that I can ride quietly :)

What is your general opinion of the wheel? I'm 60yrs old so not really after supersonic speeds but the 15mph of my V5F is starting to become a nuisance now that I can ride confidently and the short range is very limiting.

the KS 18XL has a loud high pitched whine at medium to high speed, like pretty loud. its the worst and most complained about feature. that being said I have never ridden a more comfortable wheel, with the exception of the gotway monster. But if you get the XL pedals then it has a slight advantage. I'd suggest the Gotway monster. It is all about comfort with no bells or whistles. No speakers, minimal lighting, and a seat which is nice if you are not too heavy. Any 18" plus wheel will be a pleasure to ride. Note that these wheels are big, heavy and have slow reaction times at first. 

10 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

I'd suggest the Gotway monster. It is all about comfort with no bells or whistles. No speakers, minimal lighting, and a seat which is nice if you are not too heavy. Any 18" plus wheel will be a pleasure to ride. Note that these wheels are big, heavy and have slow reaction times at first. 

Thanks I did consider the monster but it's too big for what I want, the 18XL seems to fit in with what I need in terms of speed and range yet not being huge.

2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

I really got to get a 18XL

You won't be disappointed. Make sure you get the extra large pedals. They are worth it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/7/2019 at 3:14 PM, Flyboy10 said:

All alarms but the last one can be turned off. KingSong doesn't want you to die so it will politely remind you to slow down with beeps. At 31mph the beeps are faint but audible. The voice warnings can be turned off. As a guy who likes speed, I rarely hear the beeps because 30 mph is really fast.

this is 100 percent correct.  I have all disabled too except the 31mph beep and its faint and i dont really even hear it.  Its more about the slight tilt back for me..  Disable that BT crap too.  No one wants to hear my loud music while im cruising down the street,.  Its all about being silent and stealthy.. Not loud and obnoxious..  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Got to get some decent armour next

Bare minimum is wrist guards and full face helmet. I highly recommend elbow pads and knee pads. If you go above 40 kmh then I suggest a motorcycle jacket.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Bare minimum is wrist guards and full face helmet. I highly recommend elbow pads and knee pads. If you go above 40 kmh then I suggest a motorcycle jacket.

Thanks, I have elbow, wrist and knee pads but once I have a faster wheel I'd like a helmet and some sort of protective jacket.

I rather like the look of this kind of thing :-

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/clothing-safety-protection/products/flex-force-pro-top-full-armour

Does look nice @Gasmantle but I prefer hard plastic exteriors that allow for sliding. I'm sure others agree with me that fabric armor might do more harm because it is like velcro when it hits the ground. That being said, buy what you will wear. Hopefully you'll never need to put it to the test.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:10 AM, Gasmantle said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a KS18XL as an upgrade from my V5F shortly but a number of youtube reviews I've watched has the reviewers complaining about the irritating alarms / warnings. I assumed they could be silenced from the app in the way my V5F can but the vast number of complaints seems to imply they can't.

Can anyone please clarify can the wheel have all it's warnings silenced? I can live with a low battery warning occasionally but I really don't want warnings about speed, lean angles, bluetooth connection etc.

Cheers :)

Yes you will suffer the beeps when you reach max speed. You can disable music bluetooth, but everytime you start your wheel, it will tell you that bluetooth is off. You can disable the voice telling you to slow down, but you cannot disable the top speed beeps nor the tiltback. Mind you, you do want to keep the top speed beeps so you can avoid tiltback. Although it's a nice wheel, 50kmh turns out to be too slow for me; I'd like 50mph. So, if you are interested, my 18XL has about 250 miles, and I will take a $500. loss on it. It never fell, yet it is very well protected with foam all over. There should not be any scratches anywhere. I've never charged it past 90% and always at 1 amp for maximum battery life. I do not intend to unwrap it until it is sold; because the buyer may want to keep it protected until he/she feels comfortable enough.

You can call me: Ben at 1- 250-495-6959 (pacific time) USA/Canada

Edited by Benphysics
  • Like 1