KS-16x Tire Discussion

magicrobots

I have to admit that I became obsessed with H-5167 tires after I realized how much the tire thread pattern affects wheel dynamics.
(Some people are obsessed with CX321 tires too, so i totally get it) ;)

Please allow me to show off my collections of H-5167 tires :w00t2:
I plan to put the 14 inch tires on my KS14D/S and perhaps my next 14 inch wheel. But I have no idea why i got the 16x2.125 and 16x2.5...... for collections i guess :P

H5167.thumb.jpg.549b0708a59a746a07c5b504c4dd24d1.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hibiki Mr.H said:

I have to admit that I became obsessed with H-5167 tires after I realized how much the tire thread pattern affects wheel dynamics.

hmmm, if I now look at the profile of my original CX321 and the CST C-1488, I would say that the CX321 should be better for off-road (I mean real off-road) because it has the coarsest profile. The CST doesn't have as deep grooves on the sides as the CX321.
In your photos it looks as if the CYT H-5167 has an even narrower profile than the other two.
What do you mean visually? Would you praise the tyre for off-road as well?

43 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Would you praise the tyre for off-road as well?

It's a light grass, firm ground off road tire at best , as with all these type of tires

IMPO

Cant find a decent knobbly ,Shinko do a 12-3.00 but fear it will be much to big not just the sides 

Bought à Shinko SR 520 which was a 250-12 but will not fit as to hard and knobs are spred I feel to far

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

hmmm, if I now look at the profile of my original CX321 and the CST C-1488, I would say that the CX321 should be better for off-road (I mean real off-road) because it has the coarsest profile. The CST doesn't have as deep grooves on the sides as the CX321.
In your photos it looks as if the CYT H-5167 has an even narrower profile than the other two.
What do you mean visually? Would you praise the tyre for off-road as well?

The CX is more stable at higher speeds then the CST also. At least it is for me and it’s significant. 

The feedbackfrom other regions is that they prefer the Chaoyangs over the Dalishen. "

Chaoyangs, Dalishen , cyt, cvt, cst, cv, cx, h167, cx321, c1488, h5167, 

The second batch currently in stock at eWheels comes with a.       Chaoyangs    tire I think . All these tires ?

I can't figure out what does what?

Chaoyangs       tire ?

Edited by Cracka

7 hours ago, Hibiki Mr.H said:

ChaoYang CYT H-5146 (pre-production tire)

Dalishen CX-321 (1st batch tire)

ChaoYang CYT H-5167 (2nd batch tire)

Some people also changed their 1st batch tires to:

@RoadRunner @ir_fuel
CST C-1488 (Nikola's tire)
@eddiemoy
CYT H-5102 (Same pattern as MSX and 18XL)

correct me if i'm wrong :P

I'm not sure what CYT tire I have, but to me it feels just like the pre-production that I loved.  I didn't love the CST tire.  I just got some more CYT tires and will be swapping out the CST on my Nik+ to it when I have some time.  itching to do it, but need to find time to swap it out, maybe tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

was looking for some big letters, you are right, it is there.  in tiny letters, H-5102,

Actually, I seem to recall replying with the model on a photo of yours earlier as well. Same pattern as the original on 18XL and MSX. Otherwise a good tire, but sucks on wet mud and other wet offroad conditions.

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Otherwise a good tire, but sucks on wet mud and other wet offroad conditions.

Do you know how is the H-5167 for wet and offroad conditions compared to the CST-C1488? 

10 hours ago, buell47 said:

Do you know how is the H-5167 for wet and offroad conditions compared to the CST-C1488? 

Not really, just a few guesses. The H-5167 has a lot of small elements in the tread pattern, and ChaoYang tires are generally made from a soft compound. These could translate to a great wet grip. The C-1488 on the other hand does have ample space between it’s side knobs, so it could have it’s advantages on actual mud.

I’m sure that either one would be a better choice for wet and/or offroad than any other factory installed EUC tire. But neither of them is an actual offroad tire, and while there are a lot of tires available for actual offroading, they have their downsides on pavement. The H-5167 and C-1488 are still road tires, although clearly made with unpaved roads in mind.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

and while there are a lot of tires available for actual offroading

Do you know which ones are better suited for offroad, but also run acceptable onroad and have no gyro feeling? 

6 hours ago, buell47 said:

Do you know which ones are better suited for offroad, but also run acceptable onroad and have no gyro feeling? 

The ChaoYang H-666 I currently have on my MSX does classify. It still has a center ridge so 50km/h on pavement shows zero issues, but the grip and stability are clearly better in dirt, gravel, and wet mud than on any other non-knobby tire that I’ve tried. It is available in 18x3.00, 18x2.50, and 16x3.00, amongst others.

A few months ago I wrote first impressions and a 200km review on the tire somewhere around here.

55 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Riding an euc in wet mud is just asking for trouble imo, no matter what tire you use.

Sure. But there is a big difference wether a muddy section you have no choice but to go through, can or can’t be carefully cleared by riding

And since wet mud is the worst grip one can run to in the summer, it makes sense as a benchmark to compare various tires with. The best tire in wet mud will very likely also be the best one for all wet offroad conditions like grass, roots, cliffs, moss, dirt paths, etc.

Also, when one knows how non-existent the grip on wet mud is, riding over one without issues with a knobby has a lovely magically surreal and invincible feeling to it! Which is why I’m receiving a knobby for the MSX on monday... 😃

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

When swapping tires, do we have to swap the inner tube as well?  I just put the H-5167 on to replace the tire that came with the 1st batch, but kept the original inner tube since the new tube's nozzle was facing outward.  Didn't want to worry about that hitting the side of the wheel.

FYI,

I have been testing back and forth between my two KS16X:
1st batch, firmware 1.01, Anti Puncture CYT H-5167

2nd batch, firmware 1.06, Regular CYT H-5167(stock tire)

I also tried different tire pressures.

Now, I can confirm that the stock H-5167 (Regular) has "tiny" bit of gyro effect while the Anti Puncture H-5167 has absolutely zero gyro effect.

Actually the "tiny" bit of gyro effect is not too bad at all, it feels what 3 inch wide tire should be like (ie. MSX stock tire) but still much more nimble.

I can live with either one being my only wheel. :wub:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stephen said:

I love the stock tyre i really don't know why everyone hates it , 

Ha ha that's because you ride Z10.  I had chance to ride both tires.  I do prefer the one on this batch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hibiki Mr.H said:

FYI,

I have been testing back and forth between my two KS16X:
1st batch, firmware 1.01, Anti Puncture CYT H-5167

2nd batch, firmware 1.06, Regular CYT H-5167(stock tire)

I also tried different tire pressures.

Now, I can confirm that the stock H-5167 (Regular) has "tiny" bit of gyro effect while the Anti Puncture H-5167 has absolutely zero gyro effect.

Actually the "tiny" bit of gyro effect is not too bad at all, it feels what 3 inch wide tire should be like (ie. MSX stock tire) but still much more nimble.

I can live with either one being my only wheel. :wub:

Now I'm confused :confused1:

There exist 2 different CYT H-5167 tires? One with Anti Puncture and one without  Anti Puncture? 

Or just a big typo and you talking about CX321 and CYT H-5167? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen said:

I love the stock tyre i really don't know why everyone hates it , 

You mean the CX?

12 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Now I'm confused :confused1:

There exist 2 different CYT H-5167 tires? One with Anti Puncture and one without  Anti Puncture? 

Or just a big typo and you talking about CX321 and CYT H-5167? 

I was thinking the same thing. Lol