magicrobots

KS-16x Tire Discussion

6 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

After some riding I think I can say this tyre is perfectly safe for the 16x with minimal to zero modifications. At most, a 3mm acrylic shim between the pedal hangers and shell is all you need if the tyre clearance seems too close for comfort.

The novelty of it is enough to tide me over the s18 for now especially amidst the whole geolocking scandal.

Short term review:

Better grip offroad (duh)

Way more confidence going down stairs

Seems safe at lower psi, almost a suspension-like feel compared to e-bike tyres at 20psi.

Way easier to roll up curbs, will try going up small stairs next.

More stable at high speeds

Also strangely, more carve-y. Going down way low is effortless now. Totally unexpected result here.

More leaves and pebbles get stuck in the shell too. Might be a hazard to look out for if a rock somehow manages to lodge the wheel shut - let's just see how it goes.

Links:

https://m.tb.cn/h.VukQh89?sm=0fed0c

https://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/detail.htm?id=563424729241&toSite=main

perhaps aliexpress sellers here in the forum might want to consider selling it for our western friends soon. 👀😁

Woah, nice review. Thank you! :-)

What is that shim that you are talking about? Is my first time doing this kind of things to an EUC.

3 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Did you know approximately when you bought it or if you have the serial or batch number? Mine was a september batch i think. Can't be sure.

I bought it about 2 weeks ago from ewheels.  Darknessbot says it was built 17.06.2020. 

7 hours ago, stephen said:

Did this for straight on our did you have to cut nobs off?

How did you order it's all in Chinese 😁

I'm using cssbuy for this item. There's also superbuy. Keep in mind that shipping can be up to 30-80€ (at least for EU).

Edited by Llorx

7 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I bought it about 2 weeks ago from ewheels.  Darknessbot says it was built 17.06.2020. 

Hmm, so even new models have the issue. I'm pretty convinced the rim itself is offset right now. 

7 hours ago, Llorx said:

Woah, nice review. Thank you! :-)

What is that shim that you are talking about? Is my first time doing this kind of things to an EUC.

That's just a lazy half assed review. I'll try to share more after more extensive testing :)

I just traced the pedal hanger slot on the inside of the shell and cut out another copy on a 3mm acrylic sheet. Kinda hard to explain. Now i kinda wish I took pics 😅

7 hours ago, Llorx said:What is that shim that you are talking about? Is my first time doing this kind of things to an EUC.

20200812_100642.jpg.70269246ffd40c02abeaceacb81b3000.jpg

Basically just cut this shape out and place it between the pedal hanger and shell. 

However, that's not really centering of wheel/motor but pushing apart of housing which might result tension cracks. :efefb6a84e:

2 minutes ago, buell47 said:

However, that's not really centering of wheel/motor but pushing apart of housing which might result tension cracks. :efefb6a84e:

True, i bet there's a limit to how much you can shim it till it's dangerous. However the shell isn't manufactured to exact tolerances, and 3mm probably won't matter that much. It's not like I had to pry the shell to get the shim in, it slid in just fine. Notice how the shell always closes in a little when you screw the hangers back on, i'm just taking up some of that extra slack.

Guess we'll just have to give it some time to find out. If you don't hear any bad news from me by the time your tire arrives, it's probably safe 😉