San Fernando Valley

Jambo

Hey guys, 

There are a lot of meet-ups in LA but I’ve never been able to make it to one. A lot of them end up being quite far from me and it hasn’t worked out. 

Are there ever any meet-ups in the valley? I live in Sherman Oaks and I’m looking for some fun routes to ride. I’ve spent some time doing laps around Balboa lake which I like, but that’s about it. 

Would love some advice even if we can’t get a group together 

Thanks,

Jamie

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Hey guys, 

There are a lot of meet-ups in LA but I’ve never been able to make it to one. A lot of them end up being quite far from me and it hasn’t worked out. 

Are there ever any meet-ups in the valley? I live in Sherman Oaks and I’m looking for some fun routes to ride. I’ve spent some time doing laps around Balboa lake which I like, but that’s about it. 

Would love some advice even if we can’t get a group together 

Thanks,

Jamie

What advice are you seeking?

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What advice are you seeking?

Any good routes I should know about? Places I could explore to try and find new riding spots? I'm also british living in LA so I don't even know the geography that well.

Realise now my post wasn't very clear at all haha, that's what you get for posting at 3am

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Any good routes I should know about? Places I could explore to try and find new riding spots? I'm also british living in LA so I don't even know the geography that well.

Realise now my post wasn't very clear at all haha, that's what you get for posting at 3am

Ah, OK. Unfortunately I have rarely ridden up your way so I can't offer any suggestions. I have found on my riding spots with Google Maps/Earth. I know there is great riding in the mountains up your way, I just haven't explored any yet.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I think @Marty Backe knows a good route just near a prison in the mountains ,, well it kept us entertained 😁😁

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Westlake Village and there’s not too much to see in the valley. The bike paths around Lake Balboa are sort of crappy. I was thinking of going over by Griffith Park one day as they’ve got some cool bike paths by the river. Hit me up if interested 

What about the Orange Line? When I lived in the SFV, I would take it all the time. Smooth pavements, no cars, and you get to see most of the Valley from one end to the other. My advice...start with the Orange Line and get yourself familiar with the routes. If you set it up, they will come!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I’m considering buying an electric unicycle but I’ve never used one. I was wondering if I could meet up with someone in the valley who had one so I could possibly try one out. Trying to get an idea if I want to pull the trigger and get one. Thank you for your consideration 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brysoncarr said:

Hello!

I’m considering buying an electric unicycle but I’ve never used one. I was wondering if I could meet up with someone in the valley who had one so I could possibly try one out. Trying to get an idea if I want to pull the trigger and get one. Thank you for your consideration 

The difficulty with your proposal is that wheels can get damaged and/or scratched up while learning. So you have to find someone with a junker wheel who doesn't care if it gets banged up.

Also, there is a real danger that you will be totally turned off once you try it, because it'll seem very difficult if not impossible. When you've committed a bunch of $$$ there is a strong motivation to push yourself to learn how to ride the damn thing :D

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Also, there is a real danger that you will be totally turned off once you try it, because it'll seem very difficult if not impossible. When you've committed a bunch of $$$ there is a strong motivation to push yourself to learn how to ride the damn thing :D

@Brysoncarr That is a really good point. You might just give up or lose interest quickly unless you have a thousand dollar plus motivation not to.

But that would only apply if you get loaned a wheel and do everything alone. If you ride with someone with two wheels and you go on a hand-holding journey as soon as you can simply stand on the thing holding on to a wall/poll as support, you'll learn really quickly.

So: riding along with someone as your mobile support = good. But don't go in alone with reduced motivation or you might miss out on the best thing since sliced bread.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

@Brysoncarr  Welcome to the forum! I can meet with you in the San Fernando Valley and put you on a King Song KS-18XL, which is my personal favorite and among the best EUCs ever made. You can book a demonstration and training session with me from 3euc.com and we can spend as little as 15 minutes or as much time working on it as you like. Of course, the less time you spend, the less you will learn. There is only so much that can be learned from a short session, but it will at least give you a taste of what it's like. The reason I am not concerned about putting you on my EUC is because my training method doesn't put you or the wheel at risk.

• Like 1

@Jambo  I also seem to have a hard time ever making any group rides, but one of these days!

In the meanwhile, if you'd like to discover places to ride around the Los Angeles area, it's something I happen to know well. In fact, I do tours! You can arrange a tour with me on 3euc.com. It can be a tour that covers one area, something citywide, off-roading, or coastal. There is so much in the Los Angeles area to explore! Up to you what backdrop, depending on your skill level and what you'd like to see.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The difficulty with your proposal is that wheels can get damaged and/or scratched up while learning. So you have to find someone with a junker wheel who doesn't care if it gets banged up.

Thank you Marty!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Brysoncarr That is a really good point. You might just give up or lose interest quickly unless you have a thousand dollar plus motivation not to.

But that would only apply if you get loaned a wheel and do everything alone. If you ride with someone with two wheels and you go on a hand-holding journey as soon as you can simply stand on the thing holding on to a wall/poll as support, you'll learn really quickly.

So: riding along with someone as your mobile support = good. But don't go in alone with reduced motivation or you might miss out on the best thing since sliced bread.

Thank you!

7 hours ago, STEPHENLA said:

Im in the Sfvalley i can meet anytime asap Im shopping for my first ewheel id like to try out some top high end ewheels  and group ride too 

You can at least look at some performance wheels by visiting us this Saturday at Griffith Park. The ride is posted here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Jambo, we can start rides not just around Balboa Park.  We can take advantage of the long bike paths from Burbank all the way to Chatsworth area depending on your type of EUC.  We don't have to require riders to own hi mileage EUC like the other meet up groups. 

• Like 1