I'm tired of shaky footage

FlyboyEUC

I'm tired of shaky footage and am thinking about the GoPro Hero 7 Black and the Insta360 One X. I can get the GoPro for about $340 USD and the Insta360 for $400. I want to get input from those who have tried both which one do you prefer. I feel like I wouldn't use all the features of the 360 but it would sure be nice not to have to worry about where the camera is pointing. Which do people like watching more? Sometimes the massive fish eye of 360 videos gives me a headache and if I zoom into the picture enough to reduce the fisheye effect then I lose a lot of image quality. Right now I'm leaning towards the 360 just for its capabilities but I'm afraid that I might regret it when it comes to practicality, battery life, ease of use, memory card, post processing, etc. What has been everyone else's experience with these two cameras? Tagging @Marty Backe and @Jimmy Chang

Edited by Flyboy10

I love my Insta360, and tried the GoPro Hero 7 first. 

I wrecked a bit ago with it and just found out I can get the scratched lens replaced for $90 plus shipping to/from hong kong. 

We took it to Disney Land with us last Spring and had fun with it as well. :) 

Edited by prasket

1 minute ago, prasket said:

I wrecked a bit ago

That's another thing, I've crashed with my GoPro many times and the screen is still fine (Flat versus popping out I guess)

• Upvote 2

Yes, you do need to take it to the next level now (no shakes) :thumbup:. Do my videos have a big fisheye affect to you? I don't believe they do and that's because I use a 9-foot pole. The longer the pole the more normal the look. If you plan on limiting yourself to a shorter selfie stick than you'll have a lot more distortion in your video.

Producing videos from 360 does require different techniques and you better have a fast computer. Done well, there's a lot more post processing work involved with 360.

You have to religiously protect the lens otherwise it's going to be very expense to fix/replace. That's a downside for sure.

I record all my audio on a separate device and sync the audio in post. That's another time sink.

I use Adobe Premiere to create the videos. Not necessary, but it is necessary if you ever want to create 5.7k 360 videos. So that's a $$$ sink.

A GoPro 7 is great or my Sony X3000. They produce the best optical image that's also stabilized. But once I moved to 360 I just can't go back. I love the drone effect that you can get with the Insta 360 X.

All my opinion of course. Very subjective.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, you do need to take it to the next level now (no shakes) :thumbup:. Do my videos have a big fisheye affect to you? I don't believe they do and that's because I use a 9-foot pole. The longer the pole the more normal the look. If you plan on limiting yourself to a shorter selfie stick than you'll have a lot more distortion in your video.

Which selfie stick do you own Marty? I have the Insta360 carbon extended version (9 foot) and did not have too much difficulty navigating through the woods yesterday but the stick has a lot of give and bounces when I rode over branches and roots. 

I received another version today from China that appears to be more sturdy. I also added a counterweight to help better balance this ominous looking appendage.

People strolling in the woods were not happy when they saw me coming.

48465833751_bc6b318271_b.jpg

48465833791_38d3aee3bb_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I also added a counterweight to help better balance this ominous looking appendage.

I also have the same 360 selfie stick. What does your counterweight weigh, how did the balance feel ? Can you post the link. Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Which selfie stick do you own Marty? I have the Insta360 carbon extended version (9 foot) and did not have too much difficulty navigating through the woods yesterday but the stick has a lot of give and bounces when I rode over branches and roots. 

I received another version today from China that appears to be more sturdy. I also added a counterweight to help better balance this ominous looking appendage.

People strolling in the woods were not happy when they saw me coming.

Yeah, I have the 9-foot carbon fiber version. Sure, it bends a little but it's super lightweight and I don't think my videos suffer from the bending due to the Insta Stabilization.

• Like 1

@Flyboy10

You might change your mind on that Hero7 after seeing this video:

I'm tempted to get one after seeing this, or the Hero6 Black which the drone guys say work better with RealSteady Go.

But I also love my Insta360 OneX and DJI Osmo Pocket as well, and use their strengths in different scenarios.

Also, I love the result from my Moondog Labs anamorphic lens for my iPhone using Filmic Pro, but you need to get a gimbal to stabilize and need to tweak the settings in Filmic Pro for the best results, not exactly great for quick shooting.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

The Insta360 One X is awesome if:

- you don't want to miss the shot

- for shooting action selfies, close ups, or odd angles

but everything is fisheye looking

For non-shaky drone like videos,I totally agree with @houseofjobnothing beats a gimbal. Go out and buy a cheap $100 cell phone gimbal and you will be sold. You get a new camera everytime you upgrade your cellphone! Then, when you are sold on the tech, wait for the pocket osmo 2 whenever they come out with it. I love the size of the pocket osmo, but a few things really piss me off

They make you pay for accessories ie a go pro mount or 1/4 20 camera mount, a wifi adapter, a wheel just to pan up and down easily. and even if you pay for these adapters, they don't play nicely with each other. I'm sure the version 2 will come with everything built in.

image.thumb.png.a67cdeef2721857143ff723fbe5236fb.png

I originally had it set up like this, but realized I really didn't want to pull out my cell phone to see what it was aiming at everytime. In the end, a simple backpack mount is the best option, you can always see what it is shooting if you have to readjust and you can easily pull it off to hand shoot manually. 

image.thumb.png.6c307b5066b4500b38459920b535a6be.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave U said:

I also have the same 360 selfie stick. What does your counterweight weigh, how did the balance feel ? Can you post the link. Thanks

I just filmed a little experiment demonstrating the selfie stick counterbalance weight. The weights were purchased through Amazon. Total weight amount is 2.1 (+/-) pounds. I applied black pile Velcro over the weights to diminish the chrome’s glare.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017J3LDMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sAmsDbQ2ASRSG

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I just filmed a little experiment demonstrating the selfie stick counterbalance weight. The weights were purchased through Amazon. Total weight amount is 2.1 (+/-) pounds. I applied black pile Velcro over the weights to diminish the chrome’s glare.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017J3LDMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sAmsDbQ2ASRSG

Cool, I just ordered the weight. Thanks for the Link & Video. :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I have the 9-foot carbon fiber version. Sure, it bends a little but it's super lightweight and I don't think my videos suffer from the bending due to the Insta Stabilization.

You do an excellent job on filming and editing Marty! It takes a ton of time and dedication to produce quality videos. I seem to lack those attributes anymore. 

22 minutes ago, Dave U said:

Cool, I just ordered the weight. Thanks for the Link & Video. :thumbup:

Thanks Dave! I would love to see the end result in action. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You do an excellent job on filming and editing Marty! It takes a ton of time and dedication to produce quality videos. I seem to lack those attributes anymore. 

Thanks Dave! I would love to see the end result in action. 

You need to retire to free up some time :)

Time is getting shorter and shorter and as the days dwindle there will be less time for physical activities. So now is the time to maximize the joys of retirement. Don't let this magical time slip through your fingers.

I give you this advice for free. Probably what it's worth :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have the insta 360 selfies stick and a telsin 9 foot selfie stick the insta is kinda short sometimes  i just put the non extendid telsin onto the insta360 stick to make it bigger it does a good job.

I've also done in the other way around to make my telsin even bigger 😁😁

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Flyboy10

You might change your mind on that Hero7 after seeing this video:

I'm tempted to get one after seeing this, or the Hero6 Black which the drone guys say work better with RealSteady Go.

But I also love my Insta360 OneX and DJI Osmo Pocket as well, and use their strengths in different scenarios.

Also, I love the result from my Moondog Labs anamorphic lens for my iPhone using Filmic Pro, but you need to get a gimbal to stabilize and need to tweak the settings in Filmic Pro for the best results, not exactly great for quick shooting.

The Osmo Pocket isn't that well put together (like how you can open the side door without pushing the button in). They kind of cheat to make their stabilization look so good by cropping a lot more (so there's more margin for the stabilization). You can achieve the better results by zooming the GoPro a little (which gives it more margin to play with) and still capture a wider field of view.

The Osmo's claimed 1080p240 isn't supported by the sensor. It's really 720p scaled up (so it loses a lot of resolution).

There's a lot of other stuff like that below the surface.

Full disclosure: I work for GoPro, but don't take my word for it. Check out some of the more sober Osmo reviews that look beyond the specs and the appeal of something new.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

The Osmo Pocket isn't that well put together (like how you can open the side door without pushing the button in). They kind of cheat to make their stabilization look so good by cropping a lot more (so there's more margin for the stabilization). You can achieve the better results by zooming the GoPro a little (which gives it more margin to play with) and still capture a wider field of view.

The Osmo's claimed 1080p240 isn't supported by the sensor. It's really 720p scaled up (so it loses a lot of resolution).

There's a lot of other stuff like that below the surface.

Full disclosure: I work for GoPro, but don't take my word for it. Check out some of the more sober Osmo reviews that look beyond the specs and the appeal of something new.

Woah. EUC extreme GoPro promo videos in the future? :lol:

New GoPro Fusion 360 camera coming?

http://360rumors.com/next-fusion-release/

You probably are well aware, but please, for the next version Fusion: get the mobile workflow on point, better stitching without requiring a super-expensive graphics card for decent render time, and please no double microSD cards (was really annoying on the Fusion). 

I loved the result from my Fusion, but the workflow and the amount of time you had to spend to get video out of the thing was prohibitive (yes, yes, "beta" first release, I know, I know).

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

New GoPro Fusion 360 camera coming?

http://360rumors.com/next-fusion-release/

The workflow needs to be at least as good as Insta360's otherwise it'll be a fail, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

You probably are well aware, but please, for the next version Fusion: get the mobile workflow on point, better stitching without requiring a super-expensive graphics card for decent render time, and please no double microSD cards (was really annoying on the Fusion). 

I loved the result from my Fusion, but the workflow and the amount of time you had to spend to get video out of the thing was prohibitive (yes, yes, "beta" first release, I know, I know).

The weight has to be cut as well, it may not feel that heavy when holding in hand, but putting it on the other end of a 9-foot selfie stick is another story.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You need to retire to free up some time :)

Time is getting shorter and shorter and as the days dwindle there will be less time for physical activities. So now is the time to maximize the joys of retirement. Don't let this magical time slip through your fingers.

I give you this advice for free. Probably what it's worth :lol:

I have the means but not the will. Too many employees that depend on me and parents that beg me to not entertain the idea. 

• Like 1

For my YT videos I use the GoPro Hero 7. The results are pretty smooth and it's a durable camera. I've taken multiple falls with it, mostly from riding trails on my Onewheel. I've taken it underwater and it is still holding up. I've just had to replace the lens cover which got scratched on my latest ride on my EUC. It cost less than $20. I also like that I can vlog with my gopro. I got a mic attachment and it does a good job. It's small and discrete so even when I get stopped on for riding my device, i can keep it rolling and capture the whole thing including decent audio.

I thought about a 360 camera but the extra time needed to process the footage was not worth it to me and it didn't seem as durable. The current 360 cams have pretty crappy mics too. I have no real world experience with them though, just what I've found during my research.

• Like 2