Jump to content
Lillian

EUC Rejected At The Gym

Recommended Posts

I was excited about the new Equinox gym near my home. I even ran into one of my favorite celebs on the way out. Then the love fest ended when told that I wouldn't be able to bring my EUC. They said that if it can't fit into a locker, I can't bring it. 

At my local grocery store, people come from the back to ask questions and inquire about getting wheels for themselves. They let me place my wheels in the store's office or shop with it. 

Back to the almost $400/month gym..."There are no plans in the future to change this," I was told by Mr. Snobby. 

At the Equinox on Columbus and 67th, a man rides his EUC into the club, down the hall and into the locker room. No one says a word. 

So my excitement for that location has been deflated. Maybe this is where having bought the Pint comes in. I'll see if that fits into a locker. Grrr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

400.00/month for a gym?? are you leasing it? for that price you should be able to take whatever you like... isnt there some sort of bike lockup there that you could put it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$400 / month :lol:

You have the entire place for yourself + a highly qualified personal trainer when you go?

My gym subscription costs $25 / month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

$400 / month :lol:

You have the entire place for yourself + a highly qualified personal trainer when you go?

My gym subscription costs $25 / month

mine is 19.99/mo  ..  400 is absurd..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find another gym. I'm sure a more "down to earth" place would reflect more equality in their attitude.  Just my 2cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting... I go to the 43rd st Equinox and have asked them to keep it behind the counter. Officially the response is no, but it really seems to depend on who is checking people in. So far I've been lucky. I do try to walk in without helmet/pads so I look like a normal person. Would love to wheel in like Columbus Circle dude. I did my nails the other day and they kept it somewhere behind a counter. 

Is the diameter of the V10 too large to fit in the locker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or go to a gym with camera surveillance and no staff. If nobody's on site nobody can complain :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

$400 / month :lol:

You have the entire place for yourself + a highly qualified personal trainer when you go?

My gym subscription costs $25 / month

It's probably worth it for society as a whole for the majority of people, if they could consistently work out for long hours.

As an example, a fat woman in my old office missed a step on stairs, and ended up with a $35,000 medical bill for a hip fracture that was mostly paid by insurance. 

And it's the same story with perhaps the majority of fat people I know; being fat makes you reluctant to exercise, and then lack of exercise makes you fatter (I should know, I go up and down 40 pounds several times in the past couple of years).

Because 80 to 95% of people who have a gym membership don't go to their gym, it follows almost no one should actually have a gym membership.

What's the answer? I don't know. I have bicycles that work fantastic...until it rains or snows, and then I'm in worse shape. Also, drivers hate bicyclists.

Maybe hire a cook for that $400? I think this is what most people will end up doing, because eating out is really bad for you and grocery shopping requires two to three hours. I think most people see the light, and simply online grocery shop, spending that time instead to cook.

(As an aside, 18 of the last 30 The Atlantic articles are about how evil Trump is. Having to wade through all the propaganda in order to find non-Trump news is a chore.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

It's probably worth it for society as a whole for the majority of people, if they could consistently work out for long hours.

As an example, a fat woman in my old office missed a step on stairs, and ended up with a $35,000 medical bill for a hip fracture that was mostly paid by insurance. 

And it's the same story with perhaps the majority of fat people I know; being fat makes you reluctant to exercise, and then lack of exercise makes you fatter (I should know, I go up and down 40 pounds several times in the past couple of years).

Because 80 to 95% of people who have a gym membership don't go to their gym, it follows almost no one should actually have a gym membership.

What's the answer? I don't know. I have bicycles that work fantastic...until it rains or snows, and then I'm in worse shape. Also, drivers hate bicyclists.

Maybe hire a cook for that $400? I think this is what most people will end up doing, because eating out is really bad for you and grocery shopping requires two to three hours. I think most people see the light, and simply online grocery shop, spending that time instead to cook.

(As an aside, 18 of the last 30 The Atlantic articles are about how evil Trump is. Having to wade through all the propaganda in order to find non-Trump news is a chore.)

Both eating healthy and the gym work well for me. There's one in my building for free, one across the street from my job, one next door and this new location of my existing one that I mentioned. 

I only mentioned the price because given that, one would think they'd aim to accommodate rather than straight out reject the wheel vs. the friendly folks at the grocery store who welcome it. But it seems that in mentioning the price, I have diminished the original point. Trust me, I am not happy about the price either. It didn't begin that way and keeps increasing. But I like my gym and can afford it so it's my choice. And again, at one location, they DO accept the EUC. All good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rywokast said:

400.00/month for a gym?? are you leasing it? for that price you should be able to take whatever you like... isnt there some sort of bike lockup there that you could put it?

My point exactly.

It's not $400 yet, but close enough and it keeps increasing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tscottn said:

mine is 19.99/mo  ..  400 is absurd..  

It's kind of 'country club' like. I'm able to save in other ways like using their nice hair products and saving on salon visits, for example. A lot comes with the almost $400 price. I don't like that price and didn't join at it. But I didn't expect them to straight up reject any accommodation for the wheel given the membership fees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coffee guy said:

Find another gym. I'm sure a more "down to earth" place would reflect more equality in their attitude.  Just my 2cents

Yep. Hence the nice folks at the grocery store who love all of the toys I wheel in. But I like my gym. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diana Chiu said:

Interesting... I go to the 43rd st Equinox and have asked them to keep it behind the counter. Officially the response is no, but it really seems to depend on who is checking people in. So far I've been lucky. I do try to walk in without helmet/pads so I look like a normal person. Would love to wheel in like Columbus Circle dude. I did my nails the other day and they kept it somewhere behind a counter. 

Is the diameter of the V10 too large to fit in the locker?

You're right. It likely does depend on who is at the front desk. That's a good idea to walk in without the safety gear. 

I'm not sure about the V10's diameter, but I think it may be too wide front-to-back. I just decided to not go to that gym except on weekends when I can take the bus or walk in the daytime.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone considered using a bike lock to lock their wheel to a bike stand ?  Was thinking about the person who posted about their gym. If there was a bike lock up area maybe it would be safe there.  I plan on using mine to get to the gym too (once I learn to ride!!).  My gym lockers are quite big and the guys at my gym will probably be cool with it anyway.  My guess.  If not I'll just have to find a lock up area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lillian said:

You're right. It likely does depend on who is at the front desk. That's a good idea to walk in without the safety gear. 

I'm not sure about the V10's diameter, but I think it may be too wide front-to-back. I just decided to not go to that gym except on weekends when I can take the bus or walk in the daytime.  

 

Here's a thought.  Does the gym have anywhere you can loop a chain though ?  If so get a bicycle chain and padlock and take it into the changing room and lock it up.  Go without the helmet etc on display (stuff in backpack).  Just lock it in the changing rooms and do your workouts etc.  Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  These are just thoughts for you and I don't understand your situation so take them for what they are !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lillian said:

It's kind of 'country club' like. I'm able to save in other ways like using their nice hair products and saving on salon visits, for example. A lot comes with the almost $400 price. I don't like that price and didn't join at it. But I didn't expect them to straight up reject any accommodation for the wheel given the membership fees. 

You have to remember something.. Usually when a club or something of this nature costs a lot of money, it comes with More restrictions ( not less) than a gym, club, country club, etc that would cost less money.  Think of it like  HOA, The more the HOA cost the more restrictions that are placed on the homes and the people who live there..  Honestly, you would have a much easier time bringing  your wheel to a low budget salon or gym or whatever.. low cost = nobody really gives a shit...= less restrictions usually..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, Lillian said:

I was excited about the new Equinox gym near my home. I even ran into one of my favorite celebs on the way out. Then the love fest ended when told that I wouldn't be able to bring my EUC. They said that if it can't fit into a locker, I can't bring it.

A well-run gym is not to be sneezed at.  But gyms have a terrible time with property.  Remembering, behind the desk, whose wheel is whose (yours being only the first) would soon strain the staff.  Furthermore, they may be momentarily distracted by questions, dog poop, or fire alarms.  Before you know it, your wheel would vanish.  If size is all, would an i5 fit?  Or, could you write a letter urging larger lockers, especially if this gym does not already distinguish itself from the competition in that regard.  By the way, do you suppose the gym would find a way to store a wheel if a celeb wanted to sail in on one?  So maybe the winning strategy would be to convince whoever does the voice of Big Bird to ride a unicycle to your gym and have a word with the management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I happen to own a Muay Thai gym here in Jakarta, Indonesia. We always accommodate our customers belongings and guard them with all our hearts, from their baby strollers, bikes, helmets, dogs and even their husbands/boyfriends! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, z3n said:

I happen to own a Muay Thai gym here in Jakarta, Indonesia. We always accommodate our customers belongings and guard them with all our hearts, from their baby strollers, bikes, helmets, dogs and even their husbands/boyfriends! :rolleyes:

That's how it should be IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

A well-run gym is not to be sneezed at.  But gyms have a terrible time with property.  Remembering, behind the desk, whose wheel is whose (yours being only the first) would soon strain the staff.  Furthermore, they may be momentarily distracted by questions, dog poop, or fire alarms.  Before you know it, your wheel would vanish.  If size is all, would an i5 fit?  Or, could you write a letter urging larger lockers, especially if this gym does not already distinguish itself from the competition in that regard.  By the way, do you suppose the gym would find a way to store a wheel if a celeb wanted to sail in on one?  So maybe the winning strategy would be to convince whoever does the voice of Big Bird to ride a unicycle to your gym and have a word with the management.

Points well-taken. This gym however has an entire valet service with space and shelves. It's immaculate.

The part that turned me off was the individual who went out of his way to say they'd not only not accommodate but also there are no plans to ever do so, so basically 'fuh-get-about-it'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

have a word with the management.

Is Lilian's real name Karen? :D 

b34.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, Lillian said:

I was excited about the new Equinox gym near my home. I even ran into one of my favorite celebs on the way out. Then the love fest ended when told that I wouldn't be able to bring my EUC. They said that if it can't fit into a locker, I can't bring it. 

At my local grocery store, people come from the back to ask questions and inquire about getting wheels for themselves. They let me place my wheels in the store's office or shop with it. 

Back to the almost $400/month gym..."There are no plans in the future to change this," I was told by Mr. Snobby. 

At the Equinox on Columbus and 67th, a man rides his EUC into the club, down the hall and into the locker room. No one says a word. 

So my excitement for that location has been deflated. Maybe this is where having bought the Pint comes in. I'll see if that fits into a locker. Grrr.

They store my EUC or electric scooter (whenever I bring either) behind the counter. They are generally nice about it to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Is Lilian's real name Karen? :D 

b34.png

 

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...