prasket

16x Issues Thread

My KS16X is feeling poorly.....again:facepalm:.

First time it was rain damage in power button area.

This time I rode it in sunshine like 5km to the mall to shop and as I picked up trolley handle to trolley it in the mall it stopped balancing...not really understanding why I  tried to turn it off. And well it came back to life. But showing signs or something was wrong. Despite both KS app and EUCW says all diagnosis are okey. 

New fault with my KS16X as I were to trolley it.

Leds looked like this. I reached out to my dealer. And got it uplifted to ship to him. Today he got back to me. 

Waiting for new pcb. 

Now looking at my KS16X and other 2st Bach models and added my KS18L 1st batch issues too I really would think a 2nd time before buying 1st batch KS and also new upcoming products from KS. 

Yes there you have @Marty Backe. I am not impressed by KS. But it still would not swing me to GW as I don't agree with the faster wheel race they have. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear abut that @Unventor, what a pain this wheel has proven to be...and what a shame to have to send in your wheel now that you just got your EUC BG!!! :eff0541f4a:

On 5/21/2020 at 2:49 PM, Unventor said:

I really would think a 2nd time before buying 1st batch KS and also new upcoming products from KS. 

I don't think I'd buy a 1st batch anything to be honest, but especially with wheels. Add the 16X was a bit of a special case with the rushed release... :facepalm:

I haven't had any issues with my 2nd batch 16X, but the build quality isn't on par with the 18XL---the difference in shell durability is clear at first glance. Between my shoulder injury and the coronavirus lockdown, I've put less than 500 km on it and there's already plenty of dust on the inside of the bottom part of the shell. Not very reassuring in terms of weather-proofing. I haven't ridden it in the rain, but have gone through a few puddles without issue. I've put dielectric spray on the charging port, USB ports and power button, and plan on opening it up and spraying electric connectors at some point too---especially the ones most susceptible to contact with water (on the bottom, and anything that might be affected by a leak from the trolley handle area). I'd recommend doing the same, especially given your experiences with this wheel... (I'm not saying this would have prevented your issues, just that seen your luck with the 16X, it's probably best to take as many extra precautions as possible)

The 18XL has given me zero problems except for the buggy lift sensor on the first batch, which has never worked and remains disabled to this day (have been too lazy to replace it). Overall, I consider myself lucky since I haven't had any board/MOSFET issues on any of my wheels. But the build quality is clearly superior to the 16X (until you open up the wheel :efee612b4b:). Yet it's still better (IMO) than GW build quality (from the same period: Nov.'18). 

In terms of KS products in general, I'd be hesitant to buy a first batch wheel (but that applies to any brand as far as I'm concerned), but hopefully quality has improved with the S18. Hopefully...

On 5/21/2020 at 2:49 PM, Unventor said:

But it still would not swing me to GW as I don't agree with the faster wheel race they have. 

I still don't fully understand your adamant anti-GW attitude. If you're not into fast riding, what does it matter what the company's approach to speed is? They cover a specific segment of the market, the fact their wheels will go faster than any other brand doesn't mean that you have to ride any faster. I'm sure an MSX would be a perfectly suitable replacement for an 18XL (excluding ride comfort, refinement and build quality), and at the speeds you ride, it would simply provide much more safety margin. I don't see the issue with fast wheels...it's like saying Ferraris are unsafe because they're fast: They're only unsafe if you drive them faster than you should. And in the case of EUCs, if you never exceed 50 km/h in the first place, the only difference is that on a GW you have more safety margin. Any other danger is user-attributable...no one is forcing riders to push the limits, I don't see this as something to be held against the manufacturer. 

And if anything is keeping me from buying a GW, it's build quality (excluding the Nikola, which seems to be in an entirely different league from the MSX line of wheels---or so I've heard).

If for whatever reason my 18XL failed me or I decided to sell it, I'd probably replace it with an MSP. And I say probably because I don't much care for the inward pedal angle and am not a fan of the build quality (especially the unprotected speakers and shell durability: I've seen footage of MSX crashes that destroyed the shell (the headlight area seems especially vulnerable) and were nowhere near as bad as some of the tumbles my 18XL has suffered, which resulted in nothing but scratches and dents, but have never required repairing). 

Knowing what speeds GW wheels would allow me to ride, it'd as easy as setting up the appropriate tiltback and/or speed alarms in EUC World so I always hear them through my BT headset and know when I've reached the speed I don't want to pass. Simple as that. 

Anyway, that was both off-topic and uncalled for. You're getting a V11 soon, that's what matters ;)

And about the 16X, do all the weather-proofing you can...its durability is (unfortunately) likely to depend on after-sales DIY...I feel for you...but give it a chance, despite manufacturing quality issues (which I'm in no way denying or excusing), it's such an awesome wheel to ride! :wub:

BTW, does anyone know what changes there have been in the last batch of 16X's? Based on Wrong Way's review, padding has been improved, but he didn't mention anything else.

Edited by travsformation

4 minutes ago, travsformation said:

BTW, does anyone know what changes there have been in the last batch of 16X's? Based on Wrong Way's review, padding has been improved, but he didn't mention anything else.

Is teoreticaly V4 ("4th batch") is added little bit weatherproofing. Some pads inside to fill bigest gap. And mainboard v1.5 is stock now. And bigger center pads. And diferent tire compare to Batch 1 or 2.  Here is dissasembly pictures is 16XS 16X is same https://ecodrift.ru/2019/12/17/razbiraemsya-v-moshhnosti-dvigatelej-na-primere-kingsong-ks-16x-16xs/

8 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

Is teoreticaly V4 ("4th batch") is added little bit weatherproofing. Some pads inside to fill bigest gap. And mainboard v1.5 is stock now. And bigger center pads. And diferent tire compare to Batch 1 or 2.  Here is dissasembly pictures is 16XS 16X is same https://ecodrift.ru/2019/12/17/razbiraemsya-v-moshhnosti-dvigatelej-na-primere-kingsong-ks-16x-16xs/

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

This time I rode it in sunshine like 5km to the mall to shop and as I picked up trolley handle to trolley it in the mall it stopped balancing...not really understanding why I  tried to turn it off. And well it came back to life. But showing signs or something was wrong. Despite both KS app and EUCW says all diagnosis are okey. 

Leds looked like this. I reached out to my dealer. And got it uplifted to ship to him. Today he got back to me. 

Waiting for new pcb. 

Now looking at my KS16X and other 2st Bach models and added my KS18L 1st batch issues too I really would think a 2nd time before buying 1st batch KS and also new upcoming products from KS. 

Yes there you have @Marty Backe. I am not impressed by KS. But it still would not swing me to GW as I don't agree with the faster wheel race they have. 

But Gotway is slowing down. The MSP is  barely faster than KingSong now. Maybe a Gotway is still in your future ;)

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

Waiting for new pcb. 

how do you know which batch of 16x you have?

and did KS show how they fixed the water or dust issues?

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

This time I rode it in sunshine like 5km to the mall to shop and as I picked up trolley handle to trolley it in the mall it stopped balancing

Was the behaviour repeatable? It sounds like the lift switch engaged.

...not really understanding why I  tried to turn it off. And well it came back to life. But showing signs or something was wrong.

What kind of signs?

Despite both KS app and EUCW says all diagnosis are okey. 

Looks like a broken LED strip like mine?

Waiting for new pcb. 

What will the new pcb fix? Do you mean the main control board?

I still don't understand what happened. 

55 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Was the behaviour repeatable? It sounds like the lift switch engaged.

What kind of signs?

Looks like a broken LED strip like mine?

What will the new pcb fix? Do you mean the main control board?

I still don't understand what happened. 

It cut out when releasing the trolley handle. After that the leds as in the picture were in error mode. No battery status or party leds off and only green status in one site. The other is fixed led random rainbow mode. 

I am a little unsure if my dealer ment powerbutton pcb or the control board. 

New parts coming next week (hopefully).

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Unventor said:

It cut out when releasing the trolley handle. After that the leds as in the picture were in error mode. No battery status or party leds off and only green status in one site. The other is fixed led random rainbow mode. 

I am a little unsure if my dealer ment powerbutton pcb or the control board. 

New parts coming next week (hopefully).

Sounds exactly like my issue.  5 days of shipping time and 2 new control boards later (ewheels warranty @Jason McNeil‘s fast service as always) I was back up and running.  I’ve stayed on 1.05 since being back up and running  with zero issues.  Control board removal took me 45 mins first time and 10mins the second  

good luck with fix  

Edited by Chili D

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, buell47 said:

I'd like to see that on a video of you raping your 16X so brutally to be ready in 10 minutes.

Especially the foreplay and afterplay with the pads. :roflmao: 

Now I have not opened my KS16X myself yet. But I  gather with right prey tool it should be fairly straight forward. 

Once I peel of pads on other wheels I use a carpet dual side tape instead of normal pads dials side tape. This carpet dual side tape is old like 20 years or so but still good as new. It doesn't tear not leave residue behind. It speeds up when needed to remove  pads next time. Once you have opened a wheel I  general it goes much faster next time. Also if you swap to hex screws they are in general faster to work with imo.

But this time I let my dealer work on my wheels as a warranty service.

A sidenot: I found that the EUC bodyguard does have a hard time staying in place due to the case shape. I don't think this is something that can be fixed in design of the EUC bodyguard. However I use a pie e cut at the size of my index finger of that same carpet tape. Easy and cheap and it works. 

I think the carpet tape is this one (same brand atleast):

Tesa dual universal/carpet tape 50mmx5m

Edited by Unventor