Jump to content
prasket

16x Issues Thread

Recommended Posts

On 4/8/2020 at 3:45 PM, Skecys said:

You have to take what you read here with a grain of salt. I would not take any wheel out in heavy rain. Some are better sealed then others (Inmotion) but every make has models that are susceptible to water ingress (dust is not that much of an issue). There are people on this forum that have gone for thousands of kms/miles without ever opening up their 16x's.

The control board in a 16x is located at the top of the case, above the wheel, just under the handle. Dust should not reach up that high in significant quantities under normal circumstances. On the other hand, forum member buell47 has a couple of well documented posts on how you can improve dust/water resistance on the 16x.

Under normal conditions you will have no problems with dust, stay away from rain though.

Video from experienced man i respect his opinions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Video from experienced man i respect his opinions!

 

Not sure what you mean? You can find reviews like this for pretty much any EUC. In my opinion quality control at KS is very bad yes. But they do help out if something is wrong (my motherboard was bad and they replaced it free of charge). Even though we pay a lot of money for these things they are still cheaply made.

Yes the 16x will get dust and sand inside the shell if you off-road a lot. What i meant was that for most of us there will not be enough going inside for it to become a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skecys said:

In my opinion quality control at KS is very bad yes.

Jason showed us inside King Song's new factory in good detail. KS does rigorous testing, and the quality matches what's inside my KS-14, which is to say well thought and very good.

Maybe you're confusing King Song with Gotway? --Fragile plastic, soldered by a guy with Parkinson's, hot-glued by an epileptic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Jason showed us inside King Song's new factory in good detail. KS does rigorous testing, and the quality matches what's inside my KS-14, which is to say well thought and very good.

Maybe you're confusing King Song with Gotway? --Fragile plastic, soldered by a guy with Parkinson's, hot-glued by an epileptic...

I'm glad you had a good experience. Sadly there are those of us who had to deal with poor QC, "we" should not exist ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys my 2th batch KS16X come ot of box with not working right brake led you think this is acceptable?

Is realy need hard diagnostic to just control one of brake led not work? 

QC pass 12 (stamp). 

This is reason why is important buy EUC on good place(vendor) not focus price only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Skecys said:

 

Not sure what you mean? You can find reviews like this for pretty much any EUC. In my opinion quality control at KS is very bad yes. But they do help out if something is wrong (my motherboard was bad and they replaced it free of charge). Even though we pay a lot of money for these things they are still cheaply made.

Yes the 16x will get dust and sand inside the shell if you off-road a lot. What i meant was that for most of us there will not be enough going inside for it to become a problem.

Hello. I have a different opinion from yours.:confused1:Q.C. of Kingsong is trustworthy.:efee47c9c8: Although I do not have KS-16X, I have KS-16S and KS-18XL and enjoy them until now. For the first time, internal dust absorption in prototype products has also been seen in forums. How about now? Did you check inside your KS-16X? Or is it just a conjecture? I'm curious about your personal experience. All current electric wheels have advantages and disadvantages. Complaints and complaints exist for everyone. However, I think we need to focus more on how the development and improvements of electric wheels change.:roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Skecys said:

 

Not sure what you mean? You can find reviews like this for pretty much any EUC. In my opinion quality control at KS is very bad yes. But they do help out if something is wrong (my motherboard was bad and they replaced it free of charge). Even though we pay a lot of money for these things they are still cheaply made.

Yes the 16x will get dust and sand inside the shell if you off-road a lot. What i meant was that for most of us there will not be enough going inside for it to become a problem.

Now that scares me. I havent understood everything he said though. Did that cut off happen with 1.05 firmware? Or recent ones? I have reached 50kph quite a few times now without any problem and was very satisfied at its stability but if that cut out can happen due to a poor controller or battery or something, I will seriously have to consider about riding this wheel.

Edited by DannyK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha this is typical of what happens when we call our experiences our opinions.

Do you my experiences weigh as much as Denis? 
Or de we just want to highlight the negative ones? I know how convenient it is.

I have had zero cut offs. Not even close.
I ride it at max speed every single ride. I push the soft tilt-back a little bit to explore the limits. It will be a sad day when I find them.

I have a crack in the shell, a broken led and some cracked screw mounts from playing on skate parks.
It rolled 5 meters down a hill once. The pedal pins got a bit warped. I had to do some serious banging to get the pedals off.
I am not a stranger to banging though. You just have to keep at it and not worry about breaking anything.

If you guys are interested I could ask Simon for his services. We can make a "how much does it to take to make the 16X cut off" video.
He is 24, has a riding weight of 180 lbs (I am barely 150) and is fearless. Although he has learned respect from cutting off on his 18XL twice.
Once at 49,1 kmh and once at ~30 kmh.

I changed the CX tyre after 7000km.
I reverted to FW 1.05.
This way I figured I could let the 16X be good at what it is good at. Instead of tying its arms behind its back.

I put some tape and glue on it here and there. It's all good. I will get a cover from rollnz so I can beat it up twice as hard.

So I guess the issues I have had with this wheel is that it gets damaged when I drop it repeatedly.
Oh yeah and let's not forget the battery connector that fried at around 2000km.
Life happens.

Are we still having massive cut offs on this wheel?
I just treat it like a Ninebot One E+ with a higher speed and a bigger battery. It's perfect for that.

 

Did your battery connector on 16x fried after only 2000km?.. wow never thought that would happen with newest wheels like 16x or msx etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone tested the speed throttle percentage on the newest firmwares 1.08 or 2.02 on 16x? I have not yet had a chance to ride my wheel down the 50% but Id like to know if anyone tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DannyK said:

Now that scares me. I havent understood everything he said though. Did that cut off happen with 1.05 firmware? Or recent ones? I have reached 50kph quite a few times now without any problem and was very satisfied at its stability but if that cut out can happen due to a poor controller or battery or something, I will seriously have to consider about riding this wheel.

Sorry missed this one.
It can happen with just about any wheel. That's probably why people constantly tell me to wear a helmet.

I reach 50 kmh on every ride. My wife will usually reach around 45-47kmh. I don't let her go too fast on the 16X.
She is a dance teacher and needs her body to teach. I could get by with a keyboard and one working finger.

9400km on my MSX now.
7300km on the 16X.

Round and round they go. When they stop, nobody will ever know. :laughbounce2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha this is typical of what happens when we call our experiences our opinions.

Do you my experiences weigh as much as Denis? 
Or de we just want to highlight the negative ones? I know how convenient it is.

Great point!

Statistically one or some couple of good/great experiences count about nothing.

Negatives in relation to good ones could be some measure.

But normally problems are reported - riders without problems of their wheels just ride and enjoy it :thumbup:.

And having no problem (with the wheel) is no sufficient condition that nothing will come up in the future...

... and these were just some rational points...

The intense discussions come once emotions are involved.

If one had problems with his wheel for which he spend a bunch of money every post like "mine is fine - i like it" feels like a slap in the face...

Other way round the same - every problem reported, criticism or "personal opinion against" a wheel is felt by proud owner as attack on their decision to buy their beloved gadged.

Build quality and design of EUC's improves (?slowly but?) steadily, but discussions get more intense....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Great point!

Statistically one or some couple of good/great experiences count about nothing.

Negatives in relation to good ones could be some measure.

But normally problems are reported - riders without problems of their wheels just ride and enjoy it :thumbup:.

And having no problem (with the wheel) is no sufficient condition that nothing will come up in the future...

... and these were just some rational points...

The intense discussions come once emotions are involved.

If one had problems with his wheel for which he spend a bunch of money every post like "mine is fine - i like it" feels like a slap in the face...

Other way round the same - every problem reported, criticism or "personal opinion against" a wheel is felt by proud owner as attack on their decision to buy their beloved gadged.

Build quality and design of EUC's improves (?slowly but?) steadily, but discussions get more intense....

Thank you! :cheers:

As quality improves so do our expectations.
And here we are, flying around on one wheel at crazy speeds with ridiculous range.
A precarious thing to say the least.

I totally agree! I personally get offended when I say that I have a problem and the other person answers that they don't have that problem.
I feel like I am not being understood or sympathised with. Because of that I am always careful when expressing myself towards others as I would not want them to feel the same.

In the end, all sides should be considered. So just as Denis says that he has had problems. I say that I haven't had any meaningful ones.
Nor have the two other 16X riders that I ride with.

I do feel more exposed on the 16X than I do when riding the MSX though. But that is coloured by all the reading I have done on these forums.
Monika does not feel the same way when riding it but I do make a point of "asking" her to ride carefully.
Which means not riding with reckless abandonment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skecys said:

Yes the 16x will get dust and sand inside the shell if you off-road a lot. What i meant was that for most of us there will not be enough going inside for it to become a problem.

Inspecting mine, there's already been dust ingress through the bottom of the side panels and I've only put a little over 200 km on it. I'm not too bothered about dust, but it definitely doesn't suggest particularly high weatherproofing standards...so I'm somewhat concerned about water.

I've ordered some dielectric spray for the power switch, USB and power ports and am pondering whether there might be anything I can do to reduce dust/water ingress along the bottom edge of the side panels. It doesn't look like there are any sensitive components there, but I still plan on spraying connectors to be on the safe side. I'm thinking maybe a thin strip of butyl rubber along the edges could be a possibility. On the other hand, should there be water ingress from anywhere else, that would prevent it from exiting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travsformation said:

Inspecting mine, there's already been dust ingress through the bottom of the side panels and I've only put a little over 200 km on it. I'm not too bothered about dust, but it definitely doesn't suggest particularly high weatherproofing standards...so I'm somewhat concerned about water.

I've ordered some dielectric spray for the power switch, USB and power ports and am pondering whether there might be anything I can do to reduce dust/water ingress along the bottom edge of the side panels. It doesn't look like there are any sensitive components there, but I still plan on spraying connectors to be on the safe side. I'm thinking maybe a thin strip of butyl rubber along the edges could be a possibility. On the other hand, should there be water ingress from anywhere else, that would prevent it from exiting...

I made you a music video and also included photos of the inside of my 16X just for this very occasion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I think that it can happen with any wheel just like anything can happen just about any time. Especially when human factor is involved.
Even software manufacturers and hardware manufacturers have these problems in the IT world. Despite the hive of knowledge available.

The thing that annoys me most in life is when things are not perfect.
I am trying to come to peace with it.
 


We would need every 16X owner to answer a poll:
Have you had a problem with your wheel?
And then choose from a list of problems.

I believe there is similar data from retailers regarding the amount of repairs that has been done.

 

 

You will probably get a better answer from the FW thread vs this issues thread unless someone has tried and experiences an "issue".
Which is pretty much proof of the whole working vs non working report system.

I have yet to see a "16X I have no issues thread".
There is usually either silence or complaints. :lol:

oh yeah this is the issues thread haha. Will try the other one out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been riding the 16x for almost 2weeks and 
almost 500km. 
It’s the newest batch, and is running on v1.08. CY tire.  
I’m 245pds and have had no issues riding a steady 40kh.

 

The issue I’ve run into:  the pedals tilting slightly back on startup. A few times now, after starting the unit up, I’ll ride a few hundred meters with the pedals slightly tilted backwards for some reason. I’ll restart, and it will be corrected, or it gets corrected by turning a few tight 90degree turns. This has happened half a dozen times and not sure of the cause, although it’s easily fixed.  
 

That has been my only issue. I’ve thought about trying 1.05 firmware for fun, but I’m scared of losing what I have. I don’t want to ruin a good thing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Roe said:

I’ve thought about trying 1.05 firmware for fun, but I’m scared of losing what I have. I don’t want to ruin a good thing.   

Stay on 1.08 is more benefical for you newest mainboard version. You have beter range on 1.07/8  FW. how you say not fix what not broken.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was checking to see if my battery issue had resolved where i'd charge and by the time I wake up in morning it would say between 98-99% with the light green on the charger. when I unplugged however I noticed a red led stayed on and a white one was blinking inside the case. so i picked it up off the mount and the headlight flickered. seemed to happen whenever the cutt-off switch was triggered. I powered on checked in app to see battery % (99%) then powered off. When i powered off the led's turned off.  

Any ideas what the leds mean.  I was kinda paranoid on my last ride as the battery seemed to drop way faster than normal. like 5-8 percent after like 5 miles. 

Is this a firmware issue creating what looks like a vampire drain similar to the z10?

In this photo you can see the red led that stays on and the light part in the middle is what looked like a white led blinking. 

 

20200503_081114.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Brandin J. Mercer said:

So I was checking to see if my battery issue had resolved where i'd charge and by the time I wake up in morning it would say between 98-99% with the light green on the charger. when I unplugged however I noticed a red led stayed on and a white one was blinking inside the case. so i picked it up off the mount and the headlight flickered. seemed to happen whenever the cutt-off switch was triggered. I powered on checked in app to see battery % (99%) then powered off. When i powered off the led's turned off.  

Any ideas what the leds mean.  I was kinda paranoid on my last ride as the battery seemed to drop way faster than normal. like 5-8 percent after like 5 miles. 

Is this a firmware issue creating what looks like a vampire drain similar to the z10?

In this photo you can see the red led that stays on and the light part in the middle is what looked like a white led blinking. 

 

20200503_081114.jpg

The red light while/after charging is normal as far as I know. I am on my second motherboard and both had/have the issue. Simply turn the unit on and off again after charging. 5% drop for 5-8 miles seems totally fine too, low even. You are saying you could go a ±100 miles on a charge :D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, Mike Roe said:

Been riding the 16x for almost 2weeks and 
almost 500km. 
It’s the newest batch, and is running on v1.08. CY tire.  
I’m 245pds and have had no issues riding a steady 40kh.

 

The issue I’ve run into:  the pedals tilting slightly back on startup. A few times now, after starting the unit up, I’ll ride a few hundred meters with the pedals slightly tilted backwards for some reason. I’ll restart, and it will be corrected, or it gets corrected by turning a few tight 90degree turns. This has happened half a dozen times and not sure of the cause, although it’s easily fixed.  
 

That has been my only issue. I’ve thought about trying 1.05 firmware for fun, but I’m scared of losing what I have. I don’t want to ruin a good thing.   

Mine did the same, only that the dipping went both ways - front and back, like it was "hunting" for calibration 0. Calibrated it a couple of times, but the issue seems gone only after I've done the bluetooth patch and recalibrated... I'm still performing checkups to see if it's gone, but only on short trips since weather/work has been awfully alternating and preventing me to do a proper ride. My dearest suggestion - patch the wheel. I'm also with a brand new control board, CY tire and 1.08 firmw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi guys, i have 16x since february, i have done 2700km on it without any cut-offs, i am quite heavy (100kg geared) and ride up to 45kmh.

I honesty think that this wheel is pleasant to ride but has some issues which really annoy me :

1. Wheel is not dust proof at all, it has many open holes, even front light was dimmed by dust lol, to clean it up i had to dismount almost entire wheel

https://i.imgur.com/sagJtHu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6dSWaWY.jpg

BahMUYw.jpg

2. Pedals dipping for few minutes after first power on - i think it happen when the engine and battery is cold, when i power it on immediately after charging the issue dont occur

3. Loosy trolley handle makes bad noise when i break, this noise sounds like some kind of problem with engine but is actually not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...