16x Issues Thread

eucinsea

1 hour ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Doesn't the 16x go into Bluetooth Speaker Mode when on charge? I wonder if that keeps the 16x powered on minimally because of that.

It is simply "on". You can connect to it with EUC world or the Kingsong app while it is charging, to check the % for example. I will test next time I charge but I expect that if you have music mode enabled that that also works when it is charging :D

When people say it is not waterproof/resistant, will the controller get dirty and possibly ruined by the dust too? 

9 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

When people say it is not waterproof/resistant, will the controller get dirty and possibly ruined by the dust too? 

You have to take what you read here with a grain of salt. I would not take any wheel out in heavy rain. Some are better sealed then others (Inmotion) but every make has models that are susceptible to water ingress (dust is not that much of an issue). There are people on this forum that have gone for thousands of kms/miles without ever opening up their 16x's.

The control board in a 16x is located at the top of the case, above the wheel, just under the handle. Dust should not reach up that high in significant quantities under normal circumstances. On the other hand, forum member buell47 has a couple of well documented posts on how you can improve dust/water resistance on the 16x.

Under normal conditions you will have no problems with dust, stay away from rain though.

Edited by Skecys
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Issue: Top section of Trolley Rail not locking

I’ve had to recently replace my trolley rails after a crash and noticed that recently they haven’t been locking properly.  Last night I wasn’t able to fully close the trolley handle and be able to lift it up in the closed position.    It seems that both metal pieces locking the top rail (as pictured here:  https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0e5VaUrzGJyWby) are stuck in the “non-locking” position.  I think what may have happened was that some dirt may have gotten into the open / close mechanism and gummed it up.  Anyone encounter this issue?  I think I’m going to take the rails off and try to clean the inside with compressed air or a water jet. 

John

Edited by Johnw
Grammar

so I just want one clarification. Does KS 16x show better or less water resistance compared to MSX v1 structurally? Ive been riding my msx in many rains and never had an issue so far. Have rarely rode in heavy rains but since there are times I cant avoid sudden squalls, I wish ks 16x could be at least just as much resistant as my msx.. Anyone tried opening up both wheels to assume the capabilities in water resistance?

Edited by DannyK

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

The short answer here is: some 1st and maybe 2nd batches had weatherproof issues. A low number of units had water comming into either power button or lift sensor system. (I had power button issue). Since then KS change the mold of rubber part in front the power button and added/upgraded some weather and dust resistance on the wheel. But KS never gave a certified IP rating on the wheel. 

What about water in the wheel well? I assumed that might actually be the source of highest water penetration. I worried about it just yesterday,  actually. 

Does anyone know how well this aspect is on the KS-16X? 

Edited by JustChris
Copied text twice

1 minute ago, JustChris said:

What about water in the wheel well? I assumed that might actually be the source of highest water penetration. I worried about it just yesterday,  actually. 

Since I never open my KS16X as I didn't want KS to turn down the water damage as my fault. But I am under the impression that the water might have been forced entry ag the very front on the inside and due to speed and bind it pushed up on the inside rubber panel. It caused water to short circuit the power button. Due to it had electricity access it speeded the corrosion.

20191019_143238_resize_79.thumb.jpg.91fe48474a56e40cb69f768efb12db75.jpg20191019_143119_resize_83.thumb.jpg.9ad10d55fe1c2ff79911e356af9c88f3.jpg20191021_115150_resize_90.thumb.jpg.5bb94a476e1591e99bff3709ae3dfe2e.jpg

Now I can't share more details as I don't have them. And I doubt KS will explain or answer any questions regarding this. 

But since I use my wheel for commuting and KS didn't make any effort to improve weatherproofing, that is part reason why S18 hold no interest to me. An open wheel like that just spells trouble I think.

I could be wrong. But I am not impressed by how KS responded to the investigation of my water damaged KS16X. 

Now does it mean other will have same issues. I  don't think new batches have same issue. They said they improved things but now how.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JustChris said:

I have done a crazy amount of riding on wet surfaces on my 16X. Rain, slush, snow, puddles, etc. No problems whatsoever.
The only thing I have watched out for is heavy rain.

My wheel was opened after 2000km and there was barely any dust and no sign of water or humidity.

Some riders who have ridden in the rain (like Unventor) have had water ingress via the power switch / front panel so a EUC shower cap would be advisable.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 6:11 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

I have done a crazy amount of riding on wet surfaces on my 16X. Rain, slush, snow, puddles, etc. No problems whatsoever.
The only thing I have watched out for is heavy rain.

My wheel was opened after 2000km and there was barely any dust and no sign of water or humidity.

Some riders who have ridden in the rain (like Unventor) have had water ingress via the power switch / front panel so a EUC shower cap would be advisable.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Ive been enjoying alot of your videos on youtube which also led me to choose this wheel..🤣 I think Im liking it quite a lot compared to my msx.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Thanks Danny! I'm back on the 16X now. Using FW 1.05 and the Chao Yang tire. It makes for a totally different wheel.
I do have an extra CX tyre with only 50km on it. Monika tried the Chao Yang today and loved it.
My only remaining annoyance is a slight bump in the tyre where the valve is (I think) so I will do some careful reseating.
Still stable as hell at 50kmh though. Nothing to see here.

As you might know I have the same wheels you do, MSX and 16X. Same but different at different things.
A CX tyre would definitely turn your world upside down haha.

Mike have you tested how the Chao Yang tire works on wet surfaces?

When I did a rain ride test on last Monday I had a huge scare. 

On a sharp 90 degree turn on to a cycle lade in a roundabout d at 15-20kmh, the KS16X slides like 30cm sideways under me. But I managed somehow to stay on the wheel. In like 1km later at another roundabout same thing happened again but since I were going slower it was just about 20cm side slide. I managed to save this too. 

But I totally lost confidence in the 1st batch stock store. It isn't showing much wear yet. I have only clocked about 950km on it. 

Now the purpose of the ride were to get some food for the cat but also to test a prototype rainguard. 

Home again

More pictures here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMR4EnC

It isn't 100% perfect but it helps. So does the EUC bodyguard too. I have given feedback to roll.nz on the prototype test cover. But I guess they are still busy as I have not heard anything from them. I think I might have a solution to it, but I need to go back home to Denmark to get what I need.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Unventor said:

On a sharp 90 degree turn on to a cycle lade in a roundabout d at 15-20kmh, the KS16X slides like 30cm sideways under me. But I managed somehow to stay on the wheel. In like 1km later at another roundabout same thing happened again but since I were going slower it was just about 20cm side slide. I managed to save this too. 

But I totally lost confidence in the 1st batch stock store. It isn't showing much wear yet. I have only clocked about 950km on it. 

Now the purpose of the ride were to get some food for the cat but also to test a prototype rainguard. 

Home again

More pictures here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMR4EnC

It isn't 100% perfect but it helps. So does the EUC bodyguard too. I have given feedback to roll.nz on the prototype test cover. But I guess they are still busy as I have not heard anything from them. I think I might have a solution to it, but I need to go back home to Denmark to get what I need.

I love the design of the rune on your bodyguard. :efeeec645d:
So the cover is the orange "shower cap"? Looks like a standard EUC shower cap. Some of the riders here got basic black ones for free when they ordered their wheels from Ali.

I have never ever been close to sliding on the CX and done a tooooon of riding on wet surfaces. I do turn a bit strangely though compared to other riders.
I have yet to try the Chao Yang on a wet surface.

Nice saves! Man that must have been something to see. :laughbounce2:

My CX wore down to the threads after 7000km so you have a way to go. The Chao Yang and FW 1.05 make a nice combo.
The worst part of changing the tyre was removing the pedals. I had banged them up pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Which Chao Yang model was that? And to make sure, the tire wasn’t new, but you had ridden almost a thousand km on it?

10 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Which Chao Yang model was that? And to make sure, the tire wasn’t new, but you had ridden almost a thousand km on it?

I am now on the Chao Yang H-5167 after riding 7000km on the CX-321.
Unventor is still on the stock CX-321.

• Like 3

Just now, Mike Sacristan said:

I love the design of the rune on your bodyguard. :efeeec645d:
So the cover is the orange "shower cap"? Looks like a standard EUC shower cap. Some of the riders here got basic black ones for free when they ordered their wheels from Ali.

I have never ever been close to sliding on the CX and done a tooooon of riding on wet surfaces. I do turn a bit strangely though compared to other riders.
I have yet to try the Chao Yang on a wet surface.

Nice saves! Man that must have been something to see. :laughbounce2:

My CX wore down to the threads after 7000km so you have a way to go. The Chao Yang and FW 1.05 make a nice combo.
The worst part of changing the tyre was removing the pedals. I had banged them up pretty good.

Thanks. It is actually 2 old viking/celtic symbols.  It was a design I have worked a bit back and forth with Chrissi from roll.nz. We have tested doing a branding with the cutting laser they use for cut the fabric, but it was too hard to control so we had to scrap that idea. My original idea was their olive green (instead of red) with a copper colour stitching, but it turned out they had deday in getting enough material to make it so I rerollerd back to the red/gold version. But it turned out very nicely. 

It help in directing water away from the power button area, but the rainguard is an extra layer to strengthen this. Unfortunately rubbing as you ride again the rain guard makes the water go though the nylon fabric. 

You can read more about those here: https://sonsofvikings.com/blogs/history/viking-symbols-and-meanings (note there are others slightly different interpenetration but it is in the same line).

Ægishjálmr (Helm of Awe) is one of them.

Vegvisir (Viking Compass) is the other one. 

I think it is because to turn sharp I use a combination of braking and then accelerating, and this put too much strain on the contact surface with the torque the KS16X can make. 

Or it could be my gain of 3 kg in weight due to the covid-19 :rolleyes:

AS for the rainguard, i plan to see if I can get hold of this Nano coating, the company do all kinds of Nano sealing to repeal dirt water or paint on walls (to avoid graffiti)

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnanocover.dk%2Fshop%2Fnanocover-kunststof-forsegling-saet%2F

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Thanks Danny! I'm back on the 16X now. Using FW 1.05 and the Chao Yang tire. It makes for a totally different wheel.
I do have an extra CX tyre with only 50km on it. Monika tried the Chao Yang today and loved it.
My only remaining annoyance is a slight bump in the tyre where the valve is (I think) so I will do some careful reseating.
Still stable as hell at 50kmh though. Nothing to see here.

As you might know I have the same wheels you do, MSX and 16X. Same but different at different things.
A CX tyre would definitely turn your world upside down haha.

Oh there seems to be quite a few tires like that.. My dealer had to send back one or two wheels becos of that. I doubt if KS is doing any final inspection before shipping the wheels out. The assembly stage seems to be done quite carelessly. Ive witnessed quite a few wheels with little flaws like that including my previous one purchased directly from china which had CST tire that interfered with the case.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoadRunner said:

Now the tyre sits properly without any lateral or radial runout.  

KS-16-X-mods-024.jpg

How did you seal the extra space between rim hole and the valve to avoid dirt and pepples entering under the tire?

4 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

That’s going to be a pain in the ass to get off if you have to change the tube when having a flat i think.

(do not add adhesive enhancer)

E6000 is not hard to remove. Clean the surfaces and apply E6000, wait for it to cure overnight. If you want to peel it off later it requires a reasonable amount of force, but comes off cleanly and as a single piece.

There is no need to pretend to be Gotway's Glue Gun Guy--just seal the void slightly and a little past the void for waterproofing and you're good--you do not need to act like an epileptic having a seizure.

• Like 1