Nikola teardown/tire change

I can't be the first to be tackle cracking open the Nikola shell to remove the motor. I've undone all of the hex screws I can find on each side (11 large, 4 small on each side) but I'm getting binding around the top edge. I figure there's a clip or locking system of some sort for the top trim. Anyone have a hint for the final liberating step? 

BTW very impressed with the build quality and engineering on the Nikola. Definitely a new level for Gotway.

• Like 3

To all those who come after me: Gotway now appears to apply a structural layer of Gorilla Tape to the entire inner surface of the upper battery tray on the 1845wh, holding together the two halves of the shell. When removed, the shell easily separates.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, who_the said:

To all those who come after me: Gotway now appears to apply a structural layer of Gorilla Tape to the entire inner surface of the upper battery tray on the 1845wh, holding together the two halves of the shell. When removed, the shell easily separates.

:blink:

:facepalm:

Additional teardown notes:

• My pedal hangers are black, not silver
  • Additional space to accommodate the upper battery pack appears to have been cut out with a saw of some sort, with residual rough edges. Suggest filing down any rough edges to minimize risk of damaging packs

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, who_the said:

Additional space to accommodate the upper battery pack appears to have been cut out with a saw

What color is the inside, black or white? Gotway seems to love improvising as they go.

So what exactly happened that required you to rip open the shell? Details man, details :D

Does that Ecodrift video show the Gorilla tape? Otherwise a video from you would have been cool. I'm not sure I fully understand from your description.

Yeah, all the Plus's have black pedal hangers. What's odd is they didn't go with matching black pedals.

8 minutes ago, wheelr said:

What color is the inside, black or white? Gotway seems to love improvising as they go.

Does this answer your question?

IMG_0584

23 minutes ago, who_the said:

Additional teardown notes:

• My pedal hangers are black, not silver
  • Additional space to accommodate the upper battery pack appears to have been cut out with a saw of some sort, with residual rough edges. Suggest filing down any rough edges to minimize risk of damaging packs

Mother hubbard... 

I don't know whether to laugh out loud or puke...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Does this answer your question?

IMG_0584

Yours also looks like it has been cut to make way for the battery. I thought it could have been an improvisation as they transitioned to the black plastic. Oh well such is the GotWay lol

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So what exactly happened that required you to rip open the shell? Details man, details :D

Does that Ecodrift video show the Gorilla tape? Otherwise a video from you would have been cool. I'm not sure I fully understand from your description.

It's coming, trust me. :ph34r:

No, big delta from Ecodrift teardown, it's why I posted it, notable change. Would love to post a video but my kitchen isn't as photogenic as your workshop. Did snap a photo though:

20190801_192430.thumb.jpg.fb49b75681c6dc2cd74eb068063aceec.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, who_the said:

It's coming, trust me. :ph34r:

No, big delta from Ecodrift teardown, it's why I posted it, notable change. Would love to post a video but my kitchen isn't as photogenic as your workshop. Did snap a photo though:

20190801_192430.thumb.jpg.fb49b75681c6dc2cd74eb068063aceec.jpg

Oh, OK. I get it now. Yeah, all the Nikola's have that tape - my 84-volt Nikola has it too. Didn't think much about, but it makes sense that it would be in the way. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, all the Nikola's have that tape - my 84-volt Nikola has it too. 

Actually a rather daft use of materials. I've been using GT structurally on my MS* for years.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, who_the said:

Actually a rather daft use of materials. I've been using GT structurally on my MS* for years.

If it's daft why have you been using it for years  :confused1:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

If it's daft why have you been using it for years  :confused1:

He may have meant 'apt', but I don't think either description quite applies.  Since something similar is easily sourced and replaced i don't think it's in the top 10 ten list of concerns. I wonder if they intended it to be structural, or as extra insurance against water ingress. It might help redirect any moisture than managed to get through the casing due to any flaws in the case.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FreeRide said:

He may have meant 'apt', but I don't think either description quite applies.  Since something similar is easily sourced and replaced i don't think it's in the top 10 ten list of concerns. I wonder if they intended it to be structural, or as extra insurance against water ingress. It might help redirect any moisture than managed to get through the casing due to any flaws in the case.

When I saw it on mine I assumed it was for water protection because the control board was there. Any dripping water along that seam would directly hit the control board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Yes, that was my take on it when I saw it - extra water ingress protection from water entering from the top.

• Like 1

What's the minimum disassembly required to change a tire on the Nikola? Looks like at minimum one of the battery packs and LEDs from one half of the shell need to be disconnected. Did you need to disconnect and remove the motor or control board also? Seems like there is a glued on cap that would need to be removed in order to take the motor out, which might be really annoying to replace.

Looking at this for my next wheel but I'm worried about needing to rebuild the entire thing every time the tire needs replacing or patching.

53 minutes ago, lioku said:

What's the minimum disassembly required to change a tire on the Nikola? Looks like at minimum one of the battery packs and LEDs from one half of the shell need to be disconnected. Did you need to disconnect and remove the motor or control board also? Seems like there is a glued on cap that would need to be removed in order to take the motor out, which might be really annoying to replace.

Looking at this for my next wheel but I'm worried about needing to rebuild the entire thing every time the tire needs replacing or patching.

I have yet to replace a tire on the Nikola, but on all other Gotway wheels you access the motor for tire replacement on the side where there are no motor wires. You don't have to disconnect any wires. I think it's the same here.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, Marty Backe said:

When I saw it on mine I assumed it was for water protection because the control board was there.

Or just in case if the housing screws doesn't hold, or the QC guy put the tape there, because it's faster as to check all housing screws?:efee8319ab:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So what is the easiest way to do tire change on Nikola 84V ? Can it be done without disconnecting motor wires, I would love to be able to replace it the same way as the Msuper where no wires get disconnected at all. I think I've seen either disconnect motor wires and drop the motor without removing the shell, or splitting the shells ?

Edited by Adel
add more questions