Kingsong 16X review/wheelog/journal 🐸

chrisjunlee

On 9/17/2019 at 7:24 PM, MickeyMicklos said:

Figured I'd share this video as it comes up a lot now witht he 18Xl and 16s being so similar in specs:

What a cool looking video! ... but with very little actual content. No mention on how the riding behaviour differs. Main point was that one should own both. Not very helpful.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

What a cool looking video! ... but with very little actual content. No mention on how the riding behaviour differs. Main point was that one should own both. Not very helpful.

Agreed, That video came out the day before I was getting to test ride both a 16X and an 18XL and I hoped it would give me some additional insights in advance, but it didn't! That said, in many ways, there really wasn't much between them, so in some ways his recommendation isn't inaccurate. I swapped between them for half a day, and yes they absolutely have their differences but for me it came down to nuances, not massive night and day differences. I may try and make a post on my experience in a few days, but aside from all the 1st batch/FW complaints that have dominated the 16X thread, anyone that has given any constructive comparisons between the two has probably already covered anything I could.

(Edit, I picked the 16X)

Edited by Mishkin
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

As I was riding the 16X all day, I kept on thinking "this is definitely not a 30 mph wheel". 

For those new to the 16X, this is the one message I want to drive home: The Kingsong 16X is a 25 mph wheel. And that's for me, a lightweight rider. 

100% agree on this. If you want to go +25 a lot, do not buy a KS16X. You are running it "out of specs" and will get in trouble at some point in time. It has no problem going 28 but (for me) the sweet spot sits at 25. Speed demons should still go to Gotway (and better know what they are doing and gear up :D, because falling will hurt at those speeds)

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 8:02 PM, mrelwood said:

Looking back, I do think I could have added more info. I felt I covered tons of info on the ride feel of the 16x, so in my brain it felt redundant to trhash that. But not everyone may have seen my videos ont hat wheel. If it helps anyone here:

The 18XL  rides like a typical 2.5" tire, but it makes you work to hit 50kph. It feels extremely stable at that speed, like a tank. You do have to ride the tiltback a bit, but you get used to it. The 18XL has that amazing range, but the turning takes a lot more effrot than the 16" wheel, which is to be expedited if you have been aorund EUCs for a while. The torque just isn't there, but again you feel really stable. Stopping takes just as much effort so be aware of that when riding aorund people and objects.

For the 16x, the tire makes it ride completely different. It has a lot of that z10 feel where it tries to push you back up when you're ina  turn. However turning feels amazing and makes you want to  carve like crazy. It's also extremely easy to get up to speed, you dont have to work for anything. The draw back to this is you won't hit 50 kph if you gun it off the line. It's doing the physics and knows that you'd blow through 50kph at full tilt so it stops you at 45kph with tiltback. Stopping is super easy if you follow my steps for stopping in my other video about being a better rider. You just have to conquer the wobble situation. LINK: 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-M

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, MickeyMicklos said:

<thinly veiled self promotion LINK>

12 hours ago, Cutiyo said:

<self promoting youtube link from a completely new member >

@MickeyMicklos @Cutiyo Please don't self promote in this thread - start your own. 

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Upgraded to v1.07 and I regret it. Frustrated enough to make an immediate knee jerk post.

Took the wheel out for a spirited 20  mile ride - left with 55% battery spirited.

What's different?

• performance: nothing. I accelerated hard and I feel no difference.
  • overleaning issue: still exists
  • tiltback settings: no change from my perspective since I ride through the beeps (I have 1200 miles at this point and know the wheel well)

So you've missed the best part of the ride ,, the first half of the battery,,

You say "what's different " "nothing" so it wasn't that bad of an upgrade so why so mad? The 1.07 is a better ride in my opinion

8 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

What's the one thing that's changed which makes me regret upgrading? Kingsong has added a non-stop alarm beep if you charge over 5A.

And the only thing you regret why you upgraded is the charge beeps ,, I'll check this for you as i fast charge but i can't check yet as my battery is full ready for tomorrow's ride 👍😁

19 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm used to remarkably baffling stuff coming out of Gotway, but what is happening with Kingsong now?

Are you sure it's a 5A limit? Not maybe because of two different chargers (fast + normal) or something else? Maybe 5A per port as a max? (grasping for straws here...)

Well, thanks for your continuing updates! Looking forward to the next infuriating-hilarious head-scratcher coming from our beloved manufacturers:efee612b4b:

I'm using two e-wheels fast chargers (each adjustable from 1-5A). I played around with the dials.

Let (α, β) be the current from chargers α and β | α ∈ [1, 5], β ∈ [1, 5]. Total current Σ = α + β

• (5, 5): alarm
  • (5, 1): alarm
  • (1, 5): alarm
  • (2, 2): no alarm
  • (3, 2): no alarm
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day ? - Tues, 10/6/2019 ==

Upgraded to v1.07 and I regret it. Frustrated enough to make an immediate knee jerk post.

Kingsong has added a non-stop alarm beep if you charge over 5A

9 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Are you sure it's a 5A limit? Not maybe because of two different chargers (fast + normal) or something else? Maybe 5A per port as a max?

What's the matter with you guys, you should check out this forum more often. :efee612b4b:

The error was discussed already days ago (by me). Nothing new. :efef2e0fff:

First post on site 2 and here my the last post about this issue:

Charging wir the original King Song 2.5A fast charger and my other fast charger with 4A at the same time make no difference. So at 6.5A the Alarm is all the time. So it doesn't matter if you charge with one or two chargers, as soon as a total of more than 5.01A is applied, the alarm starts. 

Edited by buell47
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

I ride a lot and for those rare sunny days like today, I ride hard and top off every 20 miles, charging at 10A. That was a saving grace feature for this underwhelming wheel.

@tinawong, about a year ago you confirmed that KS-18L and XL can be charged with 10 amps of charging current. What is the max charging current in case of KS-16X?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Night ? - Tues, 10/6/2019 ==

It finally happened - I crashed at speed. 

Too tired to write everything out, but I'll make this clear: this crash affirms everything I've warned about before.

• the 16X is a 25 mph wheel - anything beyond that, you are on thin ice, a tilt away from overleaning
  • the Kingsong dip is not a feature as the fanboys insist - if you don't proactively recover the dip, you will overlean
  • ankle flicks do indeed simulate what happens with COM bodyshift lean, with the benefit of having instant recovery (there are people that believe different motions = different effects, thus dismissing my ankle flick pedal dip demonstration)

Injury wise, I'm ok. I just wish I had my motorcycle gloves on instead of wrist guards. My backpack and my new Dainese jacket are thrashed.

I don't want to get into details, but I'll say this: this accident wouldn't have happened on the Nikola - period.

Video is uploading overnight.

Well first off I’m really glad you’re OK. I cannot imagine dumping it at 25 mph. I ran mine down to 25% last night and was able to do 27 mph without any problems. I just took it really slow getting there. I’ll buy your 16X from you so long as it’s not really damaged. $300.

Have you considered offering your consulting services to Kingsing? It appears you know much more about their wheel than they do.

• Like 3