WheelLog Android App - With Garmin ConnectIQ Support

14 minutes ago, AllSySt3msG0 said:

submitted PRs to both @JumpMaster and @palachzzz but it seems like I'm late to the party as both have low recent activity and from the forum I'm not sure who is maintaining the Play Store entry right now.

@JumpMaster was afair the "founder" and already "left" the forum and the project.

@palachzzz took it over and is by now the ?inactive? Play Store maintainer.

@Seba is actually developing wheellog - his version are available at his website.

• Upvote 1

That was exactly my thought, I am one of the original backers of the pebble watch but I stopped using it a while back when they completely dropped the support for it (I know there is now a thing called rebble?). When I started riding EUC on a regular basis I was surprised to see how many people still purchased pebble watches solely for use with WheelLog and I figured I'd implement support for the watch that I wear on a daily basis. On that note, it looks like the Vivoactive and Forerunner series are popular so I'll look at implementing and testing the application for those ones too and I should have another version of the watch app this weekend.

Edit: I was missing two words for some reason.

Edited by AllSySt3msG0
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, AllSySt3msG0 said:

Hey guys!

I've been working on introducing support for Garmin ConnectIQ devices on WheelLog for Android for the last couple days and I'm looking for people who would like to test / try it out.

The fork with the changes is available here: https://github.com/marccardinal/WheelLogAndroid/tree/garmin-connect-iq
I have a watch app available at: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/07a231a9-3f2f-4762-b0bb-b8a0b5594f40 with the code here: https://github.com/marccardinal/WheelLog-Garmin-ConnectIQ.

I submitted PRs to both @JumpMaster and @palachzzz but it seems like I'm late to the party as both have low recent activity and from the forum I'm not sure who is maintaining the Play Store entry right now.

The watch application has been tested on the Fenix 3 HR but I also have support for Fenix 5 series and I can adapt the layout to other watches upon request... they have so many models and variants that I didn't see the point in making it work for all of them without demand.

Let me know what you think!

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190801074407.png

Screenshot_20190801-075052_WheelLog.jpg

Hello,

That's wonderfull! 

For 4 years, I have been using a Garmin Fenix (3 and then 5X) for all my wheel rides.

I've been waiting for years for the application you made.

Unfortunately I use Darknessbot since I have an iPhone.

Is there any chance that you would discuss with the Darknessbot developer to bring this development to an iPhone compatible app?

Congratulations again, that's great!

• Like 1

Hello again,

On the Android front I opened another PR this time with Seba to get the conversation started, currently at 3 on different forks...

Regarding IOS @OliG the project is closed source so I can't just submit a code addition to it but I'll get in touch with the maintainer to see if I can help, based on what I found the support for ConnectIQ devices shouldn't be too difficult to add on IOS and the same watch faces as for Android would work. It is basically a matter of adding the SDK provided by Garmin and using it the correct way to send messages to the watch in the right (simple) format.

I'll let you know how it goes!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AllSySt3msG0 said:

Hello again,

On the Android front I opened another PR this time with Seba to get the conversation started, currently at 3 on different forks...

Regarding IOS @OliG the project is closed source so I can't just submit a code addition to it but I'll get in touch with the maintainer to see if I can help, based on what I found the support for ConnectIQ devices shouldn't be too difficult to add on IOS and the same watch faces as for Android would work. It is basically a matter of adding the SDK provided by Garmin and using it the correct way to send messages to the watch in the right (simple) format.

Many thanks. 

If it was possible it would be a veeeery good improvement for my wheel trip. 

Keep me posted 👍🏻

4 hours ago, AllSySt3msG0 said:

Hello again,

I don't think he is very open to collaboration and wants to do the project himself.

Hello

Yes I'd like to participate also your projet in bêta test. I'd like to download a specific apk to parraining my watch but I didn't foud the good link. 

The following additional info has been provided: 
Device Name: Fenix 5x plus
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.0

Android 9 on Huawei mate 20 Pro. 

Thank very much. 

@Nicolas Kerspern I added a release on the project page here: https://github.com/marccardinal/WheelLogAndroid/releases, let me know how it goes! You should follow the thread here in case one of the main devs decide to pick it up, I'm not a big fan of fragmenting the ecosystem more than it already is but at least we might get so iron out some of the kinks :)

Edited by AllSySt3msG0
  • Like 3

Hi,

Please make it compatible with Garmin VivoActive HR (rectanglar one) - I may test it if you need!

I hope we could see the riding time too (time since you turn on the wheel)!

Thanks a lot

• Like 1

@Pedro Capitão As a quick fix I checked to see if the watch app would run as-is in the VivoActive HR simulator and it looks like it bleeds off the side. I'll have to rework the bar graphs to fit the square / rectangle size watches but it should be possible, I'll let you know when it is ready :)

vivoactive-hr.png

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 9:36 PM, AllSySt3msG0 said:

Hello again,

image.png.3fc34aa15c348ade8a494feedd90449b.png

Actually, it doesn't work with an exclamation point ...

See you later !

Nicolas

@ir_fuel I am currently working on the watch app support for VivoActive 3, VivoActive HR and Forerunner, I'll reach out when it is ready!

@Nicolas Kerspern thanks for reaching out, I will double check the compatibility for the watch that you mentioned in your PM and will get back to you with a solution :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@AllSySt3msG0, great job! thank you for your effort.

On 8/1/2019 at 3:21 PM, Chriull said:

@palachzzz took it over and is by now the ?inactive? Play Store maintainer.

Guys, just to let you know - I have a little free time for now, so I don't check this forum often. But I still able to update Google Play version if needed. 
I'll add @AllSySt3msG0's commits soon (It is under test right now). 
So feel free to send pull requests, or contact me via email if needed. 

Edited by palachzzz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far @palachzzz, it is much appreciated and it certainly helps to avoid yet another fork of wheellog :)

I created a Trello board to put some order in my todo list, feel free to comment on tasks or contribute to it: https://trello.com/b/vhZBxL05/wheellog-garmin-connectiq.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2019 at 1:02 AM, AllSySt3msG0 said:

@Pedro Capitão As a quick fix I checked to see if the watch app would run as-is in the VivoActive HR simulator and it looks like it bleeds off the side. I'll have to rework the bar graphs to fit the square / rectangle size watches but it should be possible, I'll let you know when it is ready :)

vivoactive-hr.png

Hi,

I already tested... I could install on my VivoactiveHR but I cant get any data from the wheel. My wheel is KingSong Ks16s. It's supposed to connect directly to the wheel by bluethooth or we have to connect by the garmin app or wheellog?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hansolo said:

You must use WheelLog on your phone.

Wheel ----> WheelLog (phone)---->WheelLog on watch

Hi,

still not working for me and I connected the sequence you said... I am using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, KingSong Ks16s with 1.08 firmware and Garmin VivoactiveHr...

WheelLog (phone) - I tried with and without the smartwatch button  in the app (to send data to watch?!?!)

WheelLog (wheel) - Test data and test http it is static - can't do anything...

@AllSySt3msG0 was very kind making App to Garmin "squared" watch "VivoactiveHR" - Thanks both of you!