Buy a KS18L

Sansedo

I was wondering, does it make sense to get a KS18L as your first wheel?

I want this particular wheel for various reasons.  But have doubts, having no experience riding anything except a bike, and weighing  a frugal 110lb. I’d really appreciate an opinion. Is it plausible for someone like me to pull such a trick? (I see the wheel even in my dreams! 🙃).

Absolutely. I know petite women who ride the Gotway MSX which is bigger and heavier than the L.

I say go with your dreams :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Absolutely. I know petite women who ride the Gotway MSX which is bigger and heavier than the L.

I say go with your dreams :D

Thank you! The answer was fast! I’ll take it as an auspicious sign and get me a wheel FAST also! 🖖

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Standard advice (if you have the money): get an 18XL instead (same but bigger battery). Unless the 18L is at the top of what you want as weight, or if you absolutely hate the idea of long rides.

Yeah, but she's 110-pounds. Maybe our advice doesn't still apply? Unless @Angelina Mashitlova likes very long rides.

• Upvote 1

Isn’t the range of the 18L fairly close to that of the 16S? That could be a lighter option if you might be carrying it up stairs.

Otherwise the extended battery of the XL: if you know the type of ranges you’ll need maybe it isn’t necessary, but once you have good wheel the long road trip is a nice option.

Anyhow, they are all great fun :)

• Upvote 1

Aesthetically (means beauty makes you feel good), a big round wheel on a skinny person looks best, it looks so right, so simple, especially from the sides. Especially if the person stands tall (yeah, not recommended), the whole look is of beauty and functionality.

Is there any more simple look? A person standing on axis of single wheel, it's motorized transportation distilled to its minimal essentials.

So, again, thin person on big round wheel; is there a better look?

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject! 🖖

There is this thing too: I’ve heard from one rider that there is just one advantage to the 18L: the thickness of the plastic of its bodywork in comparison to the significantly thinner 18XL.

If that’s the case, it would be an important feature for a newbie, because I’m sure, the wheel would be sprinting away from under my feet into lots of hard surfaces at the beginning. Ha-ha!!

Edited by Angelina Mashitlova
  • Like 1

If you know how to ride --I say go for it. Yes, the KS 18l is a heavy wheel but  it is very stable and if you ride where the roads look like they've been hit by meteor showers, this wheel will be what you need.  Now if you are like me, and use it to commute 18l is heavy to carry up and down a flight of stairs, 18xl is heavier keep that in mind.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Angelina Mashitlova said:

There is this thing too: I’ve heard from one rider that there is just one advantage to the 18L: the thickness of the plastic of its bodywork in comparison to the significantly thinner 18XL.

If that’s the case, it would be an important feature for a newbie, because I’m sure, the wheel would be sprinting away from under my feet into lots of hard surfaces at the beginning. Ha-ha!!

When you are learning is is highly recommended to all lots of padding to all the hard bits that will hit the ground. That's what I did for the first month or so.

I've dropped my XL many times in the mountains, etc., and the shell hasn't cracked. I really wouldn't let that be the deciding factor for you. Go with the wheel that best meets your requirements. If all your rides will be under 50km than the L will be fine for you and your weight. But if longer rides are in your future, go with the XL.

We all generally recommend buying the wheel with the biggest battery unless weight or cost is an issue.

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, Angelina Mashitlova said:

The outer shells on the 18XL and 18L are the same, with one exceptiom... As there are additional batteries in the 18XL, some "ribbing" has been removed. However, this was only there to ensure the 18L shell pressed tightly against the batteries. That space is now filled with battery cells instead, so the variation is negated.

Full disclosure: The following statement is referring to a product that I am associated with - actually my business sells them. But this is not a shameless promotion, just a response to a request for information (moderators, please be kind)...

As a newbie (or even as an experienced rider) there is also the option to protect your wheel with an EUC Bodyguard from Roll.nz...This is a protective cover designed to protect you wheel whether at all times, without compromising on the distinctive looks of the 18L/XL. Now also available with a personalised look, making your wheel match your style even more!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here on the forum, or email us using the contact form on our website.

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You’re going to have trouble lifting up a wheel that weighs half your body weight. Even with a trolley you will have periods you have to lift the wheel.

I say get a smaller wheel like a kingsong 16s. You’re so light you’ll still get an enormous amount of range much more then advertised, and have the body weight leverage necessary to move such a small wheel instead of fighting a larger 18”.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

You’re going to have trouble lifting up a wheel that weighs half your body weight. Even with a trolley you will have periods you have to lift the wheel.

I say get a smaller wheel like a kingsong 16s. You’re so light you’ll still get an enormous amount of range much more then advertised, and have the body weight leverage necessary to move such a small wheel instead of fighting a larger 18”.

The 16S is so slow though. And I know women who ride the MSX and they manage.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The 16S is so slow though. And I know women who ride the MSX and they manage.

Hmm she did say it would be her first wheel! 

I remember getting speed wobbles at a whopping 15mph on my INMOTION v5 😄

• Like 1

I thought about a 16s for a short while. But … the long winters and icy roads make me want a more powerful and stable wheel. When I learn how to ride, I want to be on it all year. Every year. 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1