EUC riding in Belgium

Paulc

Hi guys, 

Looking to holiday in Belgium soon and want to take our Euc to do a bit of sightseeing off the beaten track.  

Question is,  are we legal to use our Euc in Belgium? 

Any advice  really appreciated. 

https://mobilit.belgium.be/fr/nouvelles/nieuwsberichten/2019/code_de_la_route_des_modifications_en_faveur_des_cyclistes_des_engins

Google translate

Summary: authorized if by construction cannot go quicker than 25kmh and insured, act as a bicycle.

In reality: i guess if you don't go to quick, it is ok.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paulc said:

Hi guys, 

Looking to holiday in Belgium soon and want to take our Euc to do a bit of sightseeing off the beaten track.  

Question is,  are we legal to use our Euc in Belgium? 

Any advice  really appreciated. 

I live in Belgium.

In reality: do whatever you want to do :)  Just ride it slowly on sidewalks. Prefer riding it where cyclists ride. Nobody will care.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I live in Belgium.

In reality: do whatever you want to do :)  Just ride it slowly on sidewalks. Prefer riding it where cyclists ride. Nobody will care.

Great info. 

Are there any wilderness areas that you can ride in. Mountain bike routes, walking country routes etc.

Not looking to ride on roads or in cities etc.

Never been there myself.

You can also look for (check on Google Maps):

- Forêt de Soignes  (you can combine this with a visit to Brussels)

- Hallerbos

- Meerdaalbos

These are all around Brussels

- Hautes Fagnes

In the Ardennes.

if you want some more paved roads (especially in the French speaking part), check out the "ravels". These used to be train tracks that are converted to cycling roads. No cars allowed.

• 3 years later...

I moved to Belgium in winter, and it's finally time to get my EUC (and OneWheel) out of storage and start using it to commute.

From what I read online, in Belgium it's required to have insurance, but my (english) searches have been coming up with no results trying to find where from.

Can anyone help me find insurance I can buy?

Is there anything else I need to consider?

I'm pretty sure that 99% of riders ride it despite it not being legal. If you live in a place where police go after anything, as harmless as it may be, it's still tough to ride.

Ride respectfully and hope that they'll leave you alone.

• Upvote 1

You should have a minimum insurance for riding a (motorised) vehicle (burgerlijke aansprakelijkheid/responsabilité civil).  Most insurance companies can offer you one, but nowadays most family insurances cover electric unicycles as well.  Inform you (well) with your insurance broker. Take care that maximum legal speed is limited to 25 km/h; especially in cities you have to be careful.

• Like 1