Tricks to Learn

MetricUSA

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

360 Shove-it

So, this one here is a big one for me, I have been trying it for the last couple days and I finally figured out the science (more or less)...quicker the spin the less you have to jump, you do not need to be completely above the wheel and breathing instead of holding your breathe helps allot. ;) I do believe more yoga is in order.

Btw. This is the last post riding the Airwheel with the modded pedals and the dying motor (barely stays upright). My new KS-14B coming tomorrow.....that thing (not me of course) is gonna take a serious pounding!! Lol. I am gonna make up a new trick tomorrow to christen the new ride. ;) Thanx @Rehab1 @Jason McNeil 

Biggup to everybody for showing love. I will figure out the instructions for y'all when I get a chance.

@Sidestreet Reny all of the following members that kindly contributed to your new KS 14b are looking forward to seeing what trick you will perform first on your new wheel.  

Sitting here waiting as I write. I forgot I promised that trick, lol I am racking my brain thinking of something new to try. ;) oooooh something just came to mind. Be back in a bit with some new shit.

14 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

is gonna take a serious pounding!!

There's a roll of padding in the box if  you wanted to protect the Wheel. 

For tricks, you probably want to use the battery pack that comes with the Wheel, it's has the Samsung 25R battery cells, these are much more power than the other pack you also ordered. 

That's a trip @Jason McNeil that the 174wh is stronger than the smaller one. Also I have a sleeve made out of neoprene (it is a tummy thing for weight loss I guess) works killer while learning new tricks. I don't think I'm gonna crack it open that's for sure judging by the strength tests you showed us. :) The lenses for the light are what I expect to damage easy.

Alright everybody she has arrived! The Fedex Guy left it at my door without a courtesy knock at all, I don't even know how long it was out there...and I have crackheads in my near vicinity. Lucky I checked outside :( It is in now my possession :) and ready to roll...I think. ??

@Jason McNeil the battery has no juice at all and when it is plugged in there is no light on the charger and there is no green light on the charger when it's not plugged in as well. I tried another equal charger that had a green light and when I plugged it in there was no light at all as well. I pulled the spare battery out of the box and to my surprise the spare had juice...but no light on the charger when plugged either. Que paso? What to do?

23 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Alright everybody she has arrived! The Fedex Guy left it at my door without a courtesy knock at all, I don't even know how long it was out there...and I have crackheads in my near vicinity. Lucky I checked outside :( It is in now my possession :) and ready to roll...I think. ??

@Jason McNeil the battery has no juice at all and when it is plugged in there is no light on the charger and there is no green light on the charger when it's not plugged in as well. I tried another equal charger that had a green light and when I plugged it in there was no light at all as well. I pulled the spare battery out of the box and to my surprise the spare had juice...but no light on the charger when plugged either. Que paso? What to do?

Ahh - pleasures of delivery services :wacko:

Could be loose contact on the charging socket in the wheel. By visual inspection do you see any loose wire / connection? Do you have digital voltmeter / multimeter to measure the voltages on the battery and so on? Maybe some bump during delivery make something loose in the wheel :( 

Nah @HEC it isn't a loose connection. Neither battery registers on any charger, once they are plugged in the light goes off on the charger and the KS charger has no light at all. I have left it plugged into the KS charger for an hour and it is still empty. Turns on and runs I rode it around the house a bit. I will call @Jason McNeil and let him know.

Ok, that's damn unusual! Remy showed me the video & he's right, both the charger & battery that came with the Wheel are not working—he's got a backup of both, thank goodness.

I've never seen a defective charger or 14B battery pack, the odds of both being bad together are beyond belief. Obviously I'm getting it sorted, oh the joys of being a Wheeler-dealer!!! 

20 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

the odds of both being bad together are beyond belief

Not necessarily. One of the faults may be caused by the other. For example if there is a short-circuit in the battery it might blow a fuse in the charger - or destroy it if there is no fuse. Just like a bottle being empty at the same time as the cork has fallen out is not very unbelievable (dependent events).:) If you had two bottles, and the cork has fallen out of one of them at the same time as the other one is empty, that would have been "beyond belief" (independent events).:o

Penny (EUC) Spinning Trick

Below are some notes describing a coin-like spin trick on an electric unicycle. This is when you dismount the wheel in such a way to make it spin like a coin, before remounting as it begins to slow down. I first noticed that the wheel will spin like this when practicing 360 shove-its. You are basically making the wheel spin like a coin. This trick looks awesome (and the physics involved are quite interesting) but is really difficult to judge the remount.

This trick requires a very flat, hard and smooth surface - any other surface will make it very difficult to get the wheel to spin well, or make it spin erratically. Tyre pressure will also have an effect on the ease at which the wheel will spin.

You should consider protection for your EUC, as it will get scraped and bumped trying this. Attempting to remount a wheel which is still spinning requires ankle and shin protection!

You will be using quite a few muscle groups when getting the wheel spin (and the forces required is considerable) so a warm up/stretch is definately reccommended. I have pulled muscles in my upper leg trying this!

There should be a gap between the side of the wheel and your inside legs when performing this trick - move your feet towards the outside of the foot plates. To make the wheel spin like a coin, you need to make a powerful but very smooth and even "swipe" motion as you dismount.

You'll notice that the wheel spins not only on its axis but also "wanders" - this is apparently down to precession.

Once the wheel begins to slow down (as energy is lost through friction with the surface and air resistance), the trick is to remount just before the wheel starts behaving erratically, but without getting wacked by the pedals. This bit is really tricky to judge.

I'll post a video at a later date - I need to start thinking about putting some new footage together for this competition :)

@Jonathan Tolhurst sounds like an awesome trick involving a great deal of practice, bumps and bruises to both you and your NB. You should represent NB in Europe and get spare parts for free as I am sure you change parts often. 

Are there any universities in the UK that have motion gait labs with EMG? Measureing device

We have used this system to evaluate patients with musculoskeletal issues to determine their gait patterns and what muscles are firing at different percentages of their gait cycle. Some universities have motion lab grad students that are always looking for challenges. You and @Hirsutemight check with universities in your country and ask if they are interested in setting up a motion lab session as you perform tricks. It would certainly add a new element to the EUC sport. 

image.jpeg

image.png

• 3 months later...

Returning Boomerang Step-off, Step-on Trick

***You should ensure that you already have good EUC balance and control before attempting this type of trick.***

Before learning this trick you should master the simple Step-off, Step-back-on Trick and it's variations.

This trick needs a large flat surface - an empty basketball court is perfect.

Use of appropriate safety gear is recommended and you may also want to consider protection for your EUC, as it will most likely get scraped a few times during the learning process. 

Start by going slowly and practice dismounting the wheel so that it's continuing path is a uniform curve - this requires less speed than if you want the wheel to just run in a straight line. If the surface is flat and uniform it should be possible to make the wheel return to it's launch spot (or very close to) where you will need to jump back on to the approaching wheel. There are various options for getting back on the wheel - you can stop the wheel dead or keep rolling backwards. Alternatively you can turn around letting the wheel come through your legs before jumping back on.

Archived