Tricks to Learn

MetricUSA

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Philfree said:

Specialy for SlowMo ;) :

180 one leg : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3J6hKXF0eouLTJsR3ZGeTFxbkE/view?usp=sharing

this is my personal "graal" and i have again many hours of practice before reaching it ...

Woow! Fantastic Phil! I know your secret. You have a magnet on your feet right? :P But seriously, this level of expertise are only matched by a chosen few. Truly remarkable.

17 minutes ago, Philfree said:

The rider is damien Gaumet one member of the french's forum :

No comment just amazing...

This performance is just astonishing to me. I used to think so far that the most advanced tricks uploaded in YouTube are from Chinese guys, but now I see it like to compare sport cars with...space ship.

Damien looks kind of professional to me, like circus artist.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10 August 2015 at 10:35 AM, MarkoMarjamaa said:

I was thinking earlier about "phases of learning" thread where I list all the basic phases like you have listed and then people would give estimates how much time it took to get there.

It would be Hitchhikers-Guide-to-Galaxy-kind of advice 'Don't panic, you will get there' for people just starting to learn the impossible.

First of all, tremendous thanks to everyone writing on these forums! This was an invaluable resource when trying to decide which wheel to get, and in getting through the early learning phase.

We got our Ninebot One C+ for Christmas and have been really happy! We’ve often bought a new board game for Christmas, but this time went for the self-balancing unicycle. It has been great fun to learn a new skill together with the family and some friends. Luckily the laws in Finland were upgraded to account for “electrical walking assistance devices” at the beginning of 2016 so it is now legal to use also in public areas.

Here are some stats, I kept track of the following learning mile stones inspired by the quoted MarkoMarjamaa post:

A - first 20 meters without support (I guess this is close to the "3 s ride" item in the list)
B - first successful unassisted mount followed by a ride and a controlled dismount

Adult 45 years: A=40 min, B=80 min - still enthusiastic after several hours on the wheel

Adult 45 years: A=80 min, B=not yet after 80 min - interest starting to wane, but says it is still fun to learn

Total of five teens, ranging from 14 to 20 years old and from couch potato to highly active athlete: A=3 to 5 min, B=15 to 20 min - all still enthusiastic

Two ten year olds: A=10 to 15 min

It seems teens learn at least three times faster. The ~3 min was scored by a girl who also rides a traditional unicycle. Though the adult writing this likes to point out that the adults were handicapped somewhat by being the first to try. :) It took a while to perfect the teaching methodology, and the last to try definitely benefited from the better approach. We found the fastest way to learn was by holding your hands on the shoulders of two friends walking/jogging on both sides, see pic, and trying to get to a fast speed as soon as possible. After the first couple of minutes, one shoulder suffices, but two is better. Three people also provide an optimal learn/rest ratio.

The minutes above are minutes actually spent standing on pedals (or trying to), i.e. in the pic below the middle person is accumulating minutes.

I can't wait for the winter to end so I can start riding outside!

2015-12-29_11am.JPG

Just yesterday I learned to do 180 turns and eager to show you guys with none edited video.

It appeared that knowing that recording makes the moves more difficult :)

Hey @Tyred, you wanted to see some developments?

@DS I'm so jealous. Ever since I've seen those vids (including yours) of people riding in small spaces and idling about, I wanted to be able to do so as well.
Around the 15th of January I've started practising indoors to be able to do so as well. Gaining a lot more control, being able to do turns better already, but I'm not really idling yet. But I have a lot of patience and I'm noticing progression, which I like. Will post a vid once I got there, once I've mastered your skills. ;)

17 minutes ago, Tyred said:

@DS I'm so jealous. Ever since I've seen those vids (including yours) of people riding in small spaces and idling about, I wanted to be able to do so as well.
Around the 15th of January I've started practising indoors to be able to do so as well. Gaining a lot more control, being able to do turns better already, but I'm not really idling yet. But I have a lot of patience and I'm noticing progression, which I like. Will post a vid once I got there, once I've mastered your skills. ;)

Well, I just use the bad road conditions outside to practice more inside.

I saw a clip, I believe was Ninebot training that teach you to do 180 but with the jump. I don't like to jump here in the room and preferred this way, only turn, but first mastered 90 degrees and going backward from a stop.

Idling...I started with as much as possible longer distance and slowly but surely shortening it. Currently, could stay almost at one spot with little shakings 30by30cm around.

One general advice for tight spaces: Try to not lean your body, stay upright and turn the wheel horizontally.

Patience is good to have, keep practicing and the results will come inevitably :)

@DS Thanks a lot for your tips, will definitely keep them in mind. I've mastered 90 degrees turns already, struggling with the backwards part though.
And I know this is a key element to being able to idle. I have indeed noticed that keeping body straight is important, but can't manage to go backwards yet. 
I assume this will have to come first, before I'm able to comfortably idle around.

By the way, I really like the moment before you make the turn. You seem to be able to stand still for 1-2 seconds.

@Tyred You are welcome :)

For the backward...I had some difficulties but read  a tip from a forum member when learning to ride backward to do only this up to the battery exhaustion. This tip worked as a charm for me. This movement is a complete new set of skills for your body, so better until got confident do not confuse it with the straight move.

You've may notice on my video from yesterday that my 180 turns are only clockwise (around the right shoulder) because I couldn't do the opposite. Well, today managed to do also the 180 counterclockwise turn which obviously is not the body naturally preferred...but I insisted.

36 minutes ago, Tyred said:

You seem to be able to stand still for 1-2 seconds

Yes...but I want more :lol:

And one strange space effect - at the beginning of possession my EUC, my room seemed to me impossible for riding. Now looks to me as of plenty of space for learning tricks, so relativity everywhere.

1 minute ago, DS said:

.I had some difficulties but read  a tip from a forum member when learning to ride backward to do only this up to the battery exhaustion.

Do you mean that you shouldn't do anything else but try to ride backwards until the battery's run out? Don't really get what you're saying. You need to go forward before being able to switch to backward, right?

Archived