Tricks to Learn

MetricUSA

Is it turning in the circle on the side of the battery? Or is it the same on both side?

When i did it with my mcm2s it was ok because it was a 340wh with just one battery on one side.

With the Inmotion i feel it more difficult because the battery is just in the center above the wheel, so the wheel always want to go foward....

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hirsute said:

Is it turning in the circle on the side of the battery? Or is it the same on both side?

When i did it with my mcm2s it was ok because it was a 340wh with just one battery on one side.

With the Inmotion i feel it more difficult because the battery is just in the center above the wheel, so the wheel always want to go forward....

On the Ninebot One E+ the centre of gravity is shifted to the battery side so it will predictably turn to this side at lower speeds.

If the centre of gravity of the wheel is dead centre, then it would logically be much more difficult to make it turn predictably.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

On the Ninebot One E+ the centre of gravity is shifted to the battery side so it will predictably turn to this side at lower speeds.

If the centre of gravity of the wheel is dead centre, then it would logically be much more difficult to make it turn predictably.

It's exactly what happen for me with the inmotion. It goes better foward...

On 8/19/2016 at 11:06 PM, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

Penny (EUC) Spinning Trick

Below are some notes describing a coin-like spin trick on an electric unicycle. This is when you dismount the wheel in such a way to make it spin like a coin, before remounting as it begins to slow down. I first noticed that the wheel will spin like this when practicing 360 shove-its. You are basically making the wheel spin like a coin. This trick looks awesome (and the physics involved are quite interesting) but is really difficult to judge the remount.

This trick requires a very flat, hard and smooth surface - any other surface will make it very difficult to get the wheel to spin well, or make it spin erratically. Tyre pressure will also have an effect on the ease at which the wheel will spin.

You should consider protection for your EUC, as it will get scraped and bumped trying this. Attempting to remount a wheel which is still spinning requires ankle and shin protection!

You will be using quite a few muscle groups when getting the wheel spin (and the forces required is considerable) so a warm up/stretch is definately reccommended. I have pulled muscles in my upper leg trying this!

There should be a gap between the side of the wheel and your inside legs when performing this trick - move your feet towards the outside of the foot plates. To make the wheel spin like a coin, you need to make a powerful but very smooth and even "swipe" motion as you dismount.

You'll notice that the wheel spins not only on its axis but also "wanders" - this is apparently down to precession.

Once the wheel begins to slow down (as energy is lost through friction with the surface and air resistance), the trick is to remount just before the wheel starts behaving erratically, but without getting wacked by the pedals. This bit is really tricky to judge.

I'll post a video at a later date - I need to start thinking about putting some new footage together for this competition :)

Nice job man, I love how you keep hopping while you follow it in anticipation of the re-mount. ;) What's that, like 50 rotations? Lol. For me, I like having it straight up below me, keeping it smooth and mellow so it's much easier to control, especially if your setting up for a combo or doing it on something. I've been doing it for almost 2 months now and it was easiest on my King Song, my Freeman is even more top heavy so it is harder to do more than a couple spins at a time. The smaller the wheel the faster it spins and the faster it spins the more upright it spins....but the faster it spins the harder it is to catch it for the re-mount. Give and take. I know that from doing 360 shove it's on my old 9bot compared to my old Airwheel, then my 14b and now my Freeman A4. All very different! So depending on what your riding, make the adjustments and have at it everyone! B)       

• 3 months later...

High Jump

This trick involves you jumping over a bar or rail, whilst the wheel goes underneath, before remounting - very much like the 1970s era skateboarding discipline (Google: Bryan Beardsley for some inspiration). The minimum height you can jump is obviously the height of the wheel. I'll include the trick in my next video. 

This is probably not something to try on a Monster :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...

Piggy-in-the-middle penny spin boomerangs

The piggy-in-the-middle penny spin boomerang requires the wheel to complete at least one full orbit around the rider before the rider remounts. This is a variation of the penny spin but in this instance you have to deliberately make the wheel spin on an elliptical orbit. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use any slight camber on your practice surface and have a slightly uneven feet distribution on the pedals.

You'll want to get really good at remounting the spinning wheel as it can be spinning quite fast during this trick. With practice, it is possible to get really good at remounting the spinning wheel. If you get a good initial spin then the trick should work!

I am not sure if you can do this trick on a wheel where the weight is distributed easily. On the Ninebot One (where the weight is unevenly distributed, due to the battery being on one side) it works really well with a counter clockwise spin, with the wheel passing behind the rider in the first instance.

Potential Variations

• Counter-clockwise
  • Clockwise
  • Multiple orbits

Examples

I have posted a video in the "Video Thread" - http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1019-the-video-thread/?do=findComment&comment=87027

If anyone is interested in learning Penny Spins I posted some notes on the basic "Penny Spin" in this post: 

• 4 months later...

Overlean Stall-Rolls

This trick requires a round EUC! The trick involves getting the whole unit to roll over itself as you step off and then step back on again once the machine has completed a full rotation. It's really difficult to get it to pull it off (sometimes the balance stops working, and sometimes it doesn't) and has to be done at very slow speed. I'll try to make a film of this when I have some time.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, maxkan said:

Bump. I learned how to ride backwards, also trying to do 1-leg ride. Not sure what to learn next. I would use a learning program :)

See for example

Ride into an office building, and while doing pendulums insert key into door, push through door, close door.

This is quite hard for me; over the past few months of practicing this several times per day I've only managed this a few times (the pendulum arc is by neccessity very small as the wheel must not hit the door).

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Ride into an office building, and while doing pendulums insert key into door, push through door, close door.

This is quite hard for me; over the past few months of practicing this several times per day I've only managed this a few times (the pendulum arc is by neccessity very small as the wheel must not hit the door).

Good one. Unfortunately there is a security in the building where I work. In the best case I'd be able to outrun them to the elevator door and that's about it :)

On 8/30/2018 at 3:01 AM, maxkan said:

@Jonathan Tolhurst HI. Nice tricks. Are you still active? Its been 1 year... Any new tricks to share with the community? :)

I wish, I rarely get a chance to go for a ride nowadays! I spend what would have been my "practice time" riding scooters and climbing trees with my toddler. I wouldn't change it for the world though. He's just a little bit too young to learn to ride the wheel yet :)

• 1 month later...

Today I tried the standing on top of the EUC, which is just scary and hard as hell. It looks easy but the "joint" between your feet and the top of the wheel is like nothing I've experienced. Did a few seconds each time.

Archived