Tricks to Learn

MetricUSA

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One legged rides/maneuvers- ​stand on one foot, you must lean the machine against that leg while maintaining counter pressure of the leg against the machine. Your leg will have 1/3 of your body weight against your leg (leverage factor), so best to have 'knee pads' on that location to protect your leg. Why to learn- man have feet for a reason, they are not to be in one location for a long period, hense foot craps! This no way to move your feet on unicycle on long runs, but to stop and get off and on....or....learn to ride with one leg....

One toe pivots- this is slow maneuver ONLY, put a one foot 90° outward on pedal and lean all the way down so your toe is on the ground, slowly lean forward or backward as you pivot on your toe. You can make 'dime' turns without ever getting off machine. Or if you are already stop, getting into this position for really quick spin-outs, to show off and get dizzy... This is easier for 'duellies' as we can ride very slow without the need to jump off, but mono wheels should able to do it. Do not do this while riding fast, slow down first, or you can injure something!

Walk the dog-​ you need strap for this (should be using strap all the time), my dog can stand still on its own, so it is a easy one for me to make it go forward or backward with no help... While off your vehicle, keep the strap taunt (mono wheels have to keep it taunt all the time obviously), to turn your dog while walking, the strap must be little more forward then center, lean the unit to the way you want to go and it should follow your lead easily...

Going backwards-​ sure this is an obviously 'easy' one, but it is not, you do not go backwards on a normal bike, it is not normal, so it takes more time to learn then going forward, and I mean having full control going backwards, then just doing a quick reverse...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hmm, I am thinking some simple achievements:)

• Walk the dog (+1 point, not sure why you would do that :), but I didn't get a strap with my generic *rap-wheel )
  • staying on the wheel for 3 seconds (+1 point)
  • Going forward (+1 point)
  • Being able to turn (+1 point)
  • Driving down a step slope (+1 point)
  • Unassisted mounting (+2 points)
  • Going down a curb (+2 points)
  • One long Journey (5km / 3mi +2points)
  • One toe pivot (+3 points)
  • Going up a curb (+3 points)
  • Riding two eWheels at once (+3 points)
  • Going backwards for a decent length (+5 points)
  • One legged riding (+5 points)
  • Going up a staircase (+5 points)
  • Doing some advanced multitasking while riding (+5 points) (Like playing an instrument or something like that)
  • Instant-turn, jump up and land on the pedals in other direction (+10 points)
  • Riding three eWheels at once (+10 points)

/Me, I have 14 points from above list, just managed to ride backwards yesterday :D

I know such a point system is completely childish, non the less, they points are free to take :P

@cg I think you shorted yourself on the riding backwards.  I would definitely give you the full +5 points for that! 

But I get also 10 points from your system.  I never walked the dog. 

Perhaps there could be points for riding long distances in a single ride?  I might get points for that.

Points for doing the sharp turn where you pivot your entire body quickly (while going slow) and change your direction on a 'dime'?

@cg I think you shorted yourself on the riding backwards.  I would definitely give you the full +5 points for that! 

I agree -- one-legged riding is not so hard I think ,but riding backwards is somehow super hard for me :huh:   to me the most difficult to do; curbs turned out to be easier too than I first anticipated; I am hesitant to do it too much though as it will put quite some strain on the wheel (when going down the curb).

I was able to ride one-legged on the Airwheel X8 for fairly short distances.  Maybe I should credit myself with points...(?)  I have not yet accomplished that on the Ninebot, as it seems to be a little bit harder due to the shape and form factor.  Awe, to heck with it.  I don't need no freaking points.  As @bleu9mm said, just riding for more than 3 seconds is a helluva trick.  And it is.

I was able to ride one-legged on the Airwheel X8 for fairly short distances.  Maybe I should credit myself with points...(?)  I have not yet accomplished that on the Ninebot, as it seems to be a little bit harder due to the shape and form factor.  Awe, to heck with it.  I don't need no freaking points.  As @bleu9mm said, just riding for more than 3 seconds is a helluva trick.  And it is.

This fits perfectly with what I was just calculating. The part about riding for more than 3 seconds, that is.  Last night was my 11th day of practice and I went the furthest I have gone without stopping (putting my feet down).  I went 0.85 miles. Unfortunately it wasn't a planned stop but I did head for the grass and kind of just plopped down.  Later I had a 0.35 miles ride around the block and had a planned stop.

Congrats !!!!! I'm still at 25 metes !!!

:)

Bleu9mm

Then you are probably close.  Only the last 4 days have I been able to go more than 100 ft (30 meters).  Usually because I would veer to the left right away or go straight and then veer to the left and I would need to stop as to not hit a curb.  I needed a bigger parking lot.  But then I learned to get my left turns corrected.

Riding 2 wheels at once.  I have seen videos. 

Step 1: Buy a second wheel.

Step 2: Decide which wheel to sacrifice when dismounting.  :)

Ofcourse, and there is also the trick that I have seen the in some videos where they do not stand on the platforms, but stand on top of the eWheel instead, that seems very daunting,

But I get also 10 points from your system.  I never walked the dog. 

Perhaps there could be points for riding long distances in a single ride?  I might get points for that.

Points for doing the sharp turn where you pivot your entire body quickly (while going slow) and change your direction on a 'dime'?

Never walked the dog either :), you get good points from your harmonica trick :D, I (not an authority at all by the way) rated it +5 since it requires you to learn something else than just wheeling.

The 'doing the sharp turn where you pivot your entire body quickly', do you mean that you jump up and land on the pedals in reverse direction, or is that a 10points?

Being able to stay on the wheel for more than 3 seconds !!!! That's hell of a trick !!!!!

:):):)

Bleu9mm

+1 point :P

Regarding the one-legged riding, for me it is impossible, I have a feeling that either the wheel or my leg is going to split in two if I add that amount of pressure.

• Walk the dog (+1 point, not sure why you would do that :), but I didn't get a strap with my generic *rap-wheel )
  • Doing some advanced multitasking while riding (+5 points) (Like playing an instrument or something like that)

/Me, I have 14 points from above list, just managed to ride backwards yesterday :D

I know such a point system is completely childish, non the less, they points are free to take :P

I was thinking earlier about "phases of learning" thread where I list all the basic phases like you have listed and then people would give estimates how much time it took to get there.

It would be Hitchhikers-Guide-to-Galaxy-kind of advice 'Don't panic, you will get there' for people just starting to learn the impossible.

I was thinking earlier about "phases of learning" thread where I list all the basic phases like you have listed and then people would give estimates how much time it took to get there.

It would be Hitchhikers-Guide-to-Galaxy-kind of advice 'Don't panic, you will get there' for people just starting to learn the impossible.

It was something like that I was thinking of, but also for inspiration.

Maybe the title should be skills rather than tricks?

Tricks sounds too much like flash showing off to me. :)

I agree, in my mind I was thinking about a 'Skillz' thread :), but I searched first and found this very close.

• 4 months later...

I have a done a new trick, not listed here.  A 180.  

- Ride in one direction

- Slow Down to almost a stop

- Jump up slightly to reduce friction on the wheel

- Flip your whole body and the wheel around 180 degrees

- Ride away in the exact opposite direction you were first headed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20.3.2015 at 5:27 PM, MetricUSA said:

Going backwards- sure this is an obviously 'easy' one, but it is not, you do not go backwards on a normal bike, it is not normal, so it takes more time to learn then going forward, and I mean having full control going backwards, then just doing a quick reverse...

I have to learn this one. Sometimes leaves or small branches get stuck to my wheel and I have to stop and manually roll back a bit. If I learn to ride backwards for meter or two, I could get my wheel clean while riding.

On 8/9/2015 at 11:13 PM, cg said:

...awakening the inner child in me:

I would give an extra point for each skill if one can do them (a) with eyes not fixing the ground ahead (1 added point), with hands touching (in front of the body, 1 added point), with hands touching behind the body (1 added point).

For going up curbs it could be one point for each cm, regardless of the used technique :-)

Archived