Hey everyone!

While we are sitting around waiting for all of you to order your EUC Bodyguards, we often talk about other things that we might be able to contibute to the community. And today we had what might be a good idea...

Two of the problems with protective gear are;

• The effort it takes to fit ,and
  • Keeping it in the right position.

But thinking back to my (rebel) motorcycle days I had an idea... What about a pair of chaps (over pants) that are as simple to fit as fastening a belt and zipping down the legs. With a bit of protection added to the knees (padding on the insdie and a hard shell on the outside), this could be a really easy way to protect knees and shins and pants too. 

When I used to ride a motorcycle to work, getting there and simply removing my chaps (with my business pants underneath) make it very quick to "blend into the environment".

So the question for you all... Would there be interest in something like this if we were to put in some development effort?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So the question for you all... Would there be interest in something like this if we were to put in some development effort?

7 seconds.

That is the time is takes to put on an Aerostitch suit. Since no one here except me has and uses an Aerostitch suit which is demonstrably better than any other option, it follows EUC riders aren't interested in true protection but rather stylish protection.

Spine protection, knees and elbow padding, shoulders, optional hip padding, abrasion resistance up to maybe 100 mph, functions as a raincoat, what more do you want?

Now the Aerostitch comes in one and two piece versions, as well as a lighter cheaper version, and of course there's far cheaper knockoffs. However, as @Rehab1will attest, while protection costs a lot, it's much cheaper than doctors and surgeons and physical therapists, by several orders of magnitude.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Wouldn't it be a better idea (and maybe easier) to design EUC bodyguards for some more different models? E.g. Gotway MSX since that is used a lot by off-road riders?

Already working on it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Yellowman said:

Cool, I like this suit! Do you know if the joints pads are good enough (compared to the standalone knees and elbows pads)?

They are large soft dual density foam, covering a lot of area. Really large.

Personally, I find suit armor to always be better at staying place compared to stand alone, because suit has a bigger contact surface over straps.

Having three Aerostitch suits over the years, I think looking at your weight and sizing down slightly works well, because you want that relatively tight fit.

For the same price or even lower, there's always Vanson leathers which include hip armor.

https://vansonleathers.com/off-the-rack-motorcycle-leather-racing-suits-and-automotive-racing-suits/19-hybrid-one-piece-motorcycle-racing-suit-black-and-white-firenze-leather-with-ce-approved-armor-DRAG.html#/size-42/material_color-black_white_firenze_leather

No leather chaps pls :D, but something similar. I would like to see some quick fastening kneepads / Leg protection, maybe with magnets not velcro.

I have richa titan motorcycle hoodie.  Sometimes I might skip kneepads and just go with fullface helmet and a hoodie. My kneepads requires to remove shoes to put on and my beer belly fights back.

Edited by lirva

2 hours ago, lirva said:

I have richa titan motorcycle hoodie.  Sometimes I might skip kneepads and just go with fullface helmet and a hoodie. My kneepads requires to remove shoes to put on and my beer belly fights back.

The problem (that I have) with motorcycle protective gear is that it is designed to be ridden at higher speeds, which means that (particularly in summer) it can get very hot wearing them at 35 km/h.

From that I started thinking about what can be done specifically for us (especially as I have a designer hobbit in my sweat-shop)!

• Like 2

Whilst the Aerostich does look good, It's still a full oversuit and I do wonder how hot it would get in blazing summer.

The best option I have found by far is a 661/Nukeproof (they are both very similar) armour jacket with soft D3O pads which takes seconds to put on and is unbelievably breathable, comfortable and lightweight. Covers shoulders, elbow, spine and chest. Admitted, this only deals with the top half so...

For the knees/shins I use slide-on Nukeproof D3O pads which again take seconds. For colder days a simple jacket can go over the top.

I accept that some people prefer to put protection over their clothing so this isn't ideal for all. Plus of course this solution doesn't deal with coccyx/hip protection.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Why is this thread dead? I think PEV-specific protective gear is going to be a huge market in the future, and quick/easy on/off is going to be a huge factor. Talking about commuters here, not just riding for fun (where it doesn't really matter how long it takes to gear up).

I am looking at motorcycle jeans with removable knee pads, but I have two worries:

1. They will be too hot to wear a whole day, even with knee pads removed

2. The knee pads are not good enough for the kind of fall an EUC rider might have.

So yeah, I think it would be awesome if someone designed leg protection that is easy to get on and off. But it absolutely must look good too, or (as pointed out already) people won't wear it, especially in the city.

I think a PEV jacket would also be good. Styled like classic motorcycle jackets, with good protection but with the weight/heat retention of normal "fashion" jackets. 

I say PEV rather than EUC because I think scooter, skateboard and Onewheel people probably have similar requirements, except in terms of helmets and wrist protection (to a certain extent).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The thread that won’t die!

My idea: An arming doublet!

An arming doublet or gambeson was the padded garment worn under medieval plate armour that the armour plates would be attached to.

The modern day equivalent would be a jacket or even full suit featuring Velcro patches where one might want armour. Velcro backed polymer armour plates can then be attached to the jacket/suit as needed.

You could have a cooler suit for summer with lots of mesh and airflow and a warmer water resistant suit for winter and interchange the plates between them.

Have a look at some of the other sports like mountain biking for padded bike shorts and helmets and Motor cross for lightweight summer protection with mesh jackets that have back,shoulder,chest and elbow protection built in.Leatt have easy snap on knee shin guards,.The more u ride in different conditions the more different types and levels of armour u need.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 10:52 PM, Daley1 said:

Have a look at some of the other sports like mountain biking for padded bike shorts and helmets and Motor cross for lightweight summer protection with mesh jackets that have back,shoulder,chest and elbow protection built in.Leatt have easy snap on knee shin guards,.The more u ride in different conditions the more different types and levels of armour u need.

Exactly. And as you point out, there are currently plenty of options for sport riding, off-road etc but very few options for casual city commuting or short errands.

I want to go from my office to a cafe, I'm not going to don a whole bunch of motocross gear and I would be reluctant to go out with no gear.

So it's back to the skate helmet. Then do I bother with the wrist guards? And once I've gone to the trouble to put those on, I guess knee pads are a good idea. And while we're at it, since it's already taken me a while to get dressed, I might as well get the elbow pads out as well. ATGATT, after all. In which case, why am I bothering with the skate helmet when I have a perfectly good full-face? So now I'm fully geared up for a three-block ride to the cafe, and it's taken half my lunch break to get ready. And I look like a Power Ranger.

Compare that with jacket, (gloves), helmet, pants. Done. Especially if I'm already wearing the right pants. I think lower half is definitely the biggest challenge to develop something quick, not too bulky and yet protective enough. I wish somebody would though!

• Like 2