Additional Fees on AliExpress - Custom Charges / Release Fees

RoCan

Hi all :D

After reading through some old posts it seems to be pretty random as to the amount of additional fees incurred when ordering a wheel from AliExpress. Some get through customs without a charge, others not so lucky. One interesting article states the “release fees” are random to cover the loss in profits higher up the chain as well as covering free shipping. :confused1:

I’m interested to hear what people have had to pay in the UK from China to try and budget for this when considering buying a wheel. The “duties calculator” online produces a figure that makes it pointless IMO. If people have paid less, if at all, it may be worth the risk.

I think an average figure with a range could be quite useful for future purchasers like myself. If enough agree, we could get a spreadsheet together for all countries.

I’m not sure if there are enough buyers on this forum to get this data but I thought it worth asking.

:efee612b4b:

I have read quite a few posts on this forum and other forums as well and those who have had to pay taxes and customs are outliers.
Have you read the thread regarding AliExpress shipping method? It is rather long but worth a read.

As the systems used get smarter, more and more parcels will get the correct amount of duties and taxes applied (which I agree with BTW). Here in New Zealand they are just enforcing duties and taxes (GST for us) on all items worth NZ$60 or more...

For the average buyer, buying this way may still be worthwile for items that you can't get locally, or can't get locally yet. But other than getting something different or sooner, it makes sense to buy locally if possible - after sales support alone makes so much sense (particularly for ridiculous things like EUC).

4 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I have read quite a few posts on this forum and other forums as well and those who have had to pay taxes and customs are outliers.
Have you read the thread regarding AliExpress shipping method? It is rather long but worth a read.

Yes it’s very long but informative. It just left me none the wiser as to how much, if anything, I would have to pay on top.

4 hours ago, HippoPig said:

I didn’t pay anything (yet).

they ship from China into the EU - and then no fees are due between EU countries.

Did you get the slow shipment or the 15 day UPS? 

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

As the systems used get smarter, more and more parcels will get the correct amount of duties and taxes applied (which I agree with BTW). Here in New Zealand they are just enforcing duties and taxes (GST for us) on all items worth NZ$60 or more...

For the average buyer, buying this way may still be worthwile for items that you can't get locally, or can't get locally yet. But other than getting something different or sooner, it makes sense to buy locally if possible - after sales support alone makes so much sense (particularly for ridiculous things like EUC).

If I could afford it, I’d buy from Speedyfeet with their excellent aftercare. EUC’s are just massively overpriced IMO so I need to consider the alternatives... or sell something... anyone in the market for a soul? ;)

3 hours ago, RoCan said:

Yes it’s very long but informative. It just left me none the wiser as to how much, if anything, I would have to pay on top.

Did you get the slow shipment or the 15 day UPS? 

I got UPS but they’re both the same (asked mr Chen [seller] he said use UPS).

UPS was only Germany to U.K. (2 days)

China to Germany was like 42 days or so- zero tracking details.

Edited by HippoPig