meepmeepmayer

Youtube embeds should work for shortened URLs if possible

Posted (edited)

See title.

You can post the full url (youtube.com/watch?v=...) and the video gets embedded. But if you post the shortened share URL (youtu.be/...) it doesn't get embedded, it will be just a standard link.

Is it possible to work for the shortened share URLs as embed, too? Many people use some kind of "share" functionality and will have problems getting video embeds without this. Especially on mobile where you have to open the video in a browser to even get the full URL. Sharing from the app just gives the shortened URL.

@HippoPig the latest victim of this:)

Edited by meepmeepmayer

I literally just clicked post after reading this 😂

20 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

See title.

You can post the full url (youtube.com/watch?v=...) and the video gets embedded. But if you post the shortened share URL (youtu.be/...) it doesn't get embedded, it will be just a standard link.

Is it possible to work for the shortened share URLs as embed, too? Many people use some kind of "share" functionality and will have problems getting video embeds without this. Especially on mobile where you have to open the video in a browser to even get the full URL. Sharing from the app just gives the shortened URL.

@HippoPig the latest victim of this:)

Unless the forum software supports it, unfortunately no. The platform's provided by Invision Community, to my knowledge it's not custom-code to which any moderator (or even admin, ie. John Eucist) could make any changes. Might have some sort of plugin-system though, but I can't access anything except the basic moderation tools.

I wasn't sure if the embeds are custom created or just a hard-coded software feature. Apparently the latter.

You think writing Invision an email and asking would help? This is quite an obvious problem/possible improvement. Are they responsive to requests?

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I wasn't sure if the embeds are custom created or just a hard-coded software feature. Apparently the latter.

You think writing Invision an email and asking would help? This is quite an obvious problem/possible improvement. Are they responsive to requests?

@John Eucist might know