King Song 18L - not what I was expecting

Eddie A. Steiner

Hey Dudes, I just got the courage to ride my new 18L (been staring at it for 2 weeks) and kinda disappointed. I've been riding my NB1 E and my NB1 S2 for a bit now and find them very manueverable compared to the 18L. Honestly, I find riding the 18L like riding a tank! Sure, it's big and it's bad and will go 30 mph but the ride is very stiff. I can see for long trips on mostly straight roads this thing would be great but if you need to get around obstacles.....not so much. Maybe it's just me, maybe I need to check tire pressure, maybe I like smaller wheels.....? I don't know, I just find riding my other wheels is just more enjoyable. Please reply and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'd hate to think that I bought this beautiful wheel just for eye candy.

It took me a while to get used to riding a bigger wheel. I also started on a NB1e. I have a 100v monster in my collection now and I thought the same thing when I first started riding it. you will learn to appreciate all different aspects of each wheel you own. I am currently riding mostly my Nikola as it seems to be a happy medium for me and it is the newest of my wheels. It will feel second nature to you as the others do the more you ride it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Awesome! I have relatives in Pensacola.....I'll keep you in mind, thanks buddy!

Yeah that would great I have a IG buddy who lives in Pcola and has a z10 and we have rode together before.

So glad we have this forum. I was really put out when I first tried the wheel thinking...I'm never gonna ride this beast! My 16' and 14" are just a real joy for me to ride, I just didn't understand why this thing feels like I'm riding in mud! Seems like I have to make WIDE turns with this monster.....wierd.

3 hours ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

So glad we have this forum. I was really put out when I first tried the wheel thinking...I'm never gonna ride this beast! My 16' and 14" are just a real joy for me to ride, I just didn't understand why this thing feels like I'm riding in mud! Seems like I have to make WIDE turns with this monster.....wierd.

Try turning on a Z10 :D 

Just now, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Actually glad to hear that, I thought it was just me. I'm definately going to check my tire pressure, maybe more pressure?

My wheel is even heavier because of the extra battery. It is KS18XL. And my previous euc was also 9bot E+.

There are great differences between them. My summary is that the more you drive your KS18L, the more advantage you realise. After getting use to KS, I only use 9bot for short travels in the city. Soon you will learn sharp turns, to climb, to ride fast, will spend hours and hours without plugging the wheel in!!! Be patient and enjoy the fantastic wheel you bought.

• Upvote 1

Thanks buddy, it's just wierd to go from a 16" or 14" then to a monster 18". I'll ride it more and give you guys an update after a few miles under my belt. Still new to this whole thing but loving every minute of it.....thanks for all the replies and advice!!!!!! You guys rule.

I went a similar way in learning with the NB1E+, then starting a love-hate relationship with Z10 (will *never* turn in curves naturally :furious:) and finally turning towards the well balanced KS18L just like yours. It has a different initial behaviour of course but I can ensure you will get used to it. I think it relates more to the additional weight than wheel diameter difference of 16" vs. 18". Once you get used to it you will discover an unknown superpower of the 18L (or other new generation wheels of course). When you get familiar with handling (and I promise you will) you will feel a complete different level of security when entering higher speed regions or more demanding rides. We are talking about 500W vs 2000W (consider MS-DOS vs. Windows 10 ;)) continious motor power which makes a huge difference in cut-out reserves.

So everything fine about your purchase, give yourself the time to master it :)

On 7/24/2019 at 2:36 PM, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. 

Stick with it boss! I like your idea about tire pressure, find something that works for you. But yeah 18" will feel less maneuverable at first. Bigger wheels require more body input. You'll get it and love it once you do. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 9:36 AM, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Seems like I have to make WIDE turns with this monster.....wierd.

Have you seen the Jolly Rama @Rama Douglas make turns with his 18XL? Crazy cool!

Edited by erk1024
fixed text issues
  • Like 1

On the 18L and 18XL, you can go super slow and still balance, and the steering can be super precise. Then when you want to pin your ears back and go 50kph, it can do that too. I bet if you ride the 18L for a while and then go back to your NB's, they will feel "weird". 

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 2

Bigger wheels have their “sweet spot” at higher speeds. And you need to command it with stronger movements using the whole body. You will get used to it. 

youre coming from puny wheels lol.. ride it every day for a month then report back.. will feel almost as nimble as them

22 hours ago, erk1024 said:

Have you seen the Jolly Rama @Rama Douglas make turns with his 18XL? Crazy cool!

Thx yo! When I first got mine, coming from a 14" V5F, I figured I would only be able to freestyle on the smaller wheel. Alas, give it time and the more you'll be flowing on the 18"! 😎👽💜

• Like 1