my 1st negative encounter with a taxi driver, toronto, ontario...

bpong

unbelievable.  the taxi company i shall not name, but their cars (and in this case, minivan) are orange and green.

its tuesday, late afternoon, around between 6 to 6:30ish pm,  corner of shuter and yonge st,  the south east corner.

its my green, but im waiting for the pedestrian traffic to clear before making my right turn.

dick head orange and green taxi driver beeps me,  and i look back at him and basically tell him to bugger off.

the way clears,  and i make my right turn and begin gliding in the bicycle lane, going east.  dick head orange and green taxi driver follows me,

and i look at him and he looks at me.  i tell him go away,  and he quickly turns his vehicle into the bicycle lane once, and steers back into

the street.  UNBELIEVABLE...

we exchange some more words, and its basically an exercise in profanity.  the irony is,  is that im approaching st. mikes hospital, shuter entrance,  and theres

a police car in the emergency lane.   dick head orange and green taxi driver decides to back off and continues on his way,  to pick up a customer.

to the green and orange taxi company,  and any other taxi company in toronto for that matter,  i will be wearing a go-pro on my helmet from now

on.  your drivers little stunt in his 4000+ lb vehicle will not go un-noticed next time,  and it will be posted on social media.  the taxi industry is already

f'd up cause of ride sharing,  and incidences like the one i experienced today will not make it any better,  only worse.  my little respect for the taxi drivers in

toronto just went negative,  and really,  how stupid can you be,  threatening me with your heavy and dangerous vehicle, and me, riding a 30lb electric

unicycle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bpong said:

taxi driver beeps me,  and i look back at him and basically tell him to bugger off.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but it sounds like you aren't blameless and contributed to escalating the situation. The driver (right or wrong) thought you should go, and honked his horn which is a normal method of communication. How did you tell him to bugger off? By giving him the finger?

15 hours ago, bpong said:

i tell him go away,  and he quickly turns his vehicle into the bicycle lane once, and steers back into the street. 

How did you tell him to go away? By telling him to f* off? Again, I'm not saying the driver was an angel. But it doesn't sound like you were one either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

eldermeat:

yes, while i was waiting for the pedestrians to finish crossing, the van driver impatiently beeped me.

i TOLD HIM TO F-OFF.  so you are correct,  i am not blameless in that respect.

however, it was the cyclist behind me who also yelled at the van driver, after the driver made the steering correction INTO OUR LANE.

me, blameless ?!?!?!  no,  not at all.  but for the van driver to steer into our lane ?  that is a threatening gesture and can be brought up in our courts to

charge the driver with wreckless driving.  so, profanities aside,  it is on the driver, not me or the cyclist... sigh .......

• Upvote 2

wheelr;

i was stupid in the following respects:

- no action camera (i have one now, osmo action cam,  and use it on my helmet)

- i reacted too emotionally and did not take down any information such as taxi number, license plate, UGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, next time and there will be a next time im sure,  i will have video footage, and i will try my best to get the important information.

after that is done though,  then perhaps i will have some time to throw in a few profanities.....perhaps....

y'all have a great riding season too !!!!  ours is winding down since fall is fast approaching....

cheers

Edited by bpong
revision...