wider tire for mcm5

Mahyar Farsad

6 hours ago, RoCan said:

So I’ve taken it out for a 20km ride expecting it to wear down the shell edges quite a bit. As you can see pretty minimal wear so far. I can feel the friction but it doesn’t bother me enough to deal with taking the wheel apart again. 

I love the tyre! It wants to stay upright which takes a bit of getting used to. This might be due to the contact with the shell. Slow sharp carving feels more solid, less sqwirly/twitchy than the stock tyre. Unfortunately the wind was really strong today so I couldn’t test higher speed carving but I suspect it won’t feel as sharp as the stock tyre.

I got it up to 40kph pretty easily. I think the acceleration and braking is not as instant. Again, hard to know if this down to the friction with the shell or a bigger tyre. Probably mainly the friction so anyone attempting this will likely want to file a few mm off each side BEFORE fitting the new tyre/motor back in.

It feels like a mini steam roller :laughbounce2:

E16DD720-770C-4B70-BEF6-4EB4C353FDC3.jpeg

30565813-39B3-46D0-9895-925BDE7FFA03.jpeg

37852547-0D44-4020-BCBA-0FA97A71EB78.jpeg

hey man i think it would be dangerous to keep riding like this .

do you think does it worth the troubles?

and  thanks a lot for sharing what you have done ( pics and all ) 

8 hours ago, Mahyar Farsad said:

hey man i think it would be dangerous to keep riding like this .

do you think does it worth the troubles?

and  thanks a lot for sharing what you have done ( pics and all ) 

No problem, I don’t think it’s too dangerous. I think if it was an off road tyre with knobbies it might be as they could catch the shell edges. But because it’s a smooth road tyre it just lightly rubs.

That’s not to say I’m 100% confident. Like I said, it was very windy yesterday so it wasn’t a good test as I was battling to stay on anyway. I might end up tearing it down again to mod the shell edges but at the moment i’ll see how it goes.

I would recommend doing this. It feels brilliant to me. I would just file down the shell edges while the motor/tyre is off before reassembling.

My only hesitation in recommending this is that I haven’t seen the clearance inside the shell, as I couldn’t split the two halves. So there is a chance you file down the trims and shell edges but it still rubs inside. There is no way of knowing this at present. Although I would not have expected the wheel to move with my 210lbs on it if this were the case.

Hope this helps. I love it but it is not a mod for the feint hearted. Angle grind at your own risk! :)

@RoCan, thank you for doing this experiment. I think this would make the wheel much better on and off road so I'm really looking forward to more updates once you get it dialed.  I have 1800 miles on mine and it's time for tire number 3.

The tire change process is a total over sight on this wheel! I watched the same (only) 2 videos you did and I cant for the life of me understand why both didnt mention anything about having to split the shell!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

The tire change process is a total over sight on this wheel! I watched the same (only) 2 videos you did and I cant for the life of me understand why both didnt mention anything about having to split the shell!

They've designed it like a disposable. Get a flat tyre, chuck it, buy a new one. :facepalm:

I'm surprised they didn't upgrade all the screw sockets with brass inserts across their range. I just don't like screwing into plastic, it can only be done so many times before they start loosening and ripping the threads. Hence my lack of enthusiasm to reopen and mod the shell.

Those videos are very misleading. I managed to remove the motor without fully splitting the shells, just by loosening them, but it was tight over the motor cables.

I'm filing more shell edge today with a deflated tyre which is working quite well. Hopefully for the last time!

• Like 1

Looking great! I just took a 27mi ride yesterday on the mcm5. I wonder how much effect on range the larger tire has (if any). On flat ground and non windy days I can get 30 miles without too much fuss. I had a head wind half the ride yesterday and was getting beeps at 18mph about 2 miles from the end of the ride.  

12 hours ago, Flying W said:

Looking great! I just took a 27mi ride yesterday on the mcm5. I wonder how much effect on range the larger tire has (if any). On flat ground and non windy days I can get 30 miles without too much fuss. I had a head wind half the ride yesterday and was getting beeps at 18mph about 2 miles from the end of the ride.  

I’m not sure about range. I never did a range test with the original. I’ve not noticed any difference. I tend to ride fast until 30%. I can’t seem to turn the beeps off though. I get 1,2, 3 and 5 beeps. Not had this with the MSX.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, Mahyar Farsad said:

guys i have question for you , what top speed do you get out of mcm5 ?

Are you going to bother changing to the wide tire? And what speed do you get?

Also, if you're interested in my 18L, let me know, we could arrange a Swap with some money my way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, Mahyar Farsad said:

guys i have question for you , what top speed do you get out of mcm5 ?

I’m no speed freak. I don’t like to push past the 5 beeps to see how fast I can go. Happy cruising at 45kph on my MSX and once pushed it to 51kph. The MCM5 I’d previously reached 42kph and felt that was enough for me.

So I was very surprised to see my max  speed today was 56kph on the MCM5. It feels so stable on the 2.5” I honestly had no idea I was going faster than 42kph. I had just been for a ride on the MSX so it always feels like the easiest wheel to ride afterwards, being so small and nimble. Probably down to a confidence I was unaware of.

Anyway, it gave me a shock so I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Anything to avoid a high speed face plant. :cry2:

F74E93C5-45A5-469C-872E-196B31887988.png

• Like 2

That's crazy,  this is very close to max speed durring a free spin (like lifting the wheel and letting spin up all the way). 

I the fastest I've gone on mine was 44kph but I dont go past the beeps ever. Could the larger tire be giving a false reading? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flying W said:

That's crazy,  this is very close to max speed durring a free spin (like lifting the wheel and letting spin up all the way). 

I the fastest I've gone on mine was 44kph but I dont go past the beeps ever. Could the larger tire be giving a false reading? 

Hmmm, possible I guess. The mechanics and electrics goes over my head so I have no idea how the speed is even recorded. 

The 5 beeps in the past seem to kick in at approx 40kph (the advertised top speed) at full battery, hence me not going much over this (Although I believe the beeps are voltage dependant). This was still the case after the tyre was fitted. Yesterday was a one off so I think it was just me pushing it without realising. Especially scary as the battery was under 50%.

A false sense of security. The wheel really is incredible IMO. I just don’t want to reach its limit.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RoCan said:

I have no idea how the speed is even recorded. 

The wheel calculates the speed from the tire rotations. Which means that with the bigger tire you actually go slightly faster (and further) than the apps report. My 16S with a 2.5” is noticeably faster than an original ridden by my lighter brother. I think the difference was somewhere around 5%. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

The wheel calculates the speed from the tire rotations. Which means that with the bigger tire you actually go slightly faster (and further) than the apps report. My 16S with a 2.5” is noticeably faster than an original ridden by my lighter brother. I think the difference was somewhere around 5%. 

Interesting. I presume you mean wheel rotation rather than tyre though. So does this mean my actual speed was higher than 56kph? And does this mean that the wheel mechanics/electrics are being pushed more than with the original tyre and so is therefore at greater risk of cutout? (if close to the limit).

Also, is there any difference between the Gotway app and Darknessbot app in the way that they record the speed? Or can i assume they will both give a lower speed than is actual?

Edited by RoCan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, RoCan said:

Interesting. I presume you mean wheel rotation rather than tyre though. So does this mean my actual speed was higher than 56kph?

Yes and yes. If the difference is around the same 5%, it’s not much, but a difference nonetheless.

And does this mean that the wheel mechanics/electrics are being pushed more than with the original tyre and so is therefore at greater risk of cutout? (if close to the limit).

This is an interesting question. When you ride at an actual 50km/h, with the larger tire the wheel itself rotates slower, so from one aspect the EUC has more torque and headroom available before cut-off speed. If I had to guess, I’d say that the difference is too small to have any real life consequence.

Also, is there any difference between the Gotway app and Darknessbot app in the way that they record the speed? Or can i assume they will both give a lower speed than is actual?

All apps (GPS speedometers excluded of course) only display what the EUC itself reports as the current speed, so it is the same on both.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

This is an interesting question. When you ride at an actual 50km/h, with the larger tire the wheel itself rotates slower, so from one aspect the EUC has more torque and headroom available before cut-off speed. If I had to guess, I’d say that the difference is too small to have any real life consequence.

I see your point. I guess if you are one to push the limits then this could have a real life consequence, as the only monitor of speed is that from the app which would give you a false sense of security as to how much headroom you have. i.e. you wouldn't know your actual speed unless you own a GPS speedometer and so can only judge according to the incorrect app.

I now feel kind of lucky to have got away with that speed without injury. Back to obeying the beeps for me i think.

1 minute ago, RoCan said:

Back to obeying the beeps for me i think

Although, they will now come a bit later. :D

Again, 50km/h + 5% = 52.5km/h. It would take a pointless amount of concentration to stay at a certain speed with that much precision. And if you overlean an EUC at 52.5km/h, you would’ve probably overleaned at 50km/h as well.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 7:29 PM, RoCan said:

Anyone know a seller in Europe of:

14 x 2.5 angled valve inner tube

for MCM5? Thanks

I just contacted them on Instagram,it’s $150 for the Columns and $30 for shipping and the tire is another $30 ,he said he will contact me in a week so I can place my order .

1 hour ago, EUCyou said:

For correct lifting MCM5 to bigger tire much more effective use custom pillars like this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16KkIAVBKLMT_aa1t8tYgRXOfu0WJwURR
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w3XPDMD4YwbrKvX2mJEqG3Won49bGx45

Thanks for the post!

Is there a link to buy somewhere online? Can overseas customers order?

What do the custom hangers do?  I put the 2.5" tire in my MCM5 a couple months ago and i've been loving it.  I seem to hit 48kph on my rides by accident and it kinda scares me when i check my speeds after my ride, but no accidents yet....

I was able to make do with the inner tube that came with the tire. See my posts in the other thread about the MCM5 2.5" tire. 

• Like 1