Looking for Help in Baltimore

DaveSignal

Hello,

I am a 38 year old Army veteran, new to riding EUC and have a solowheel that I have been trying to learn.  I've been trying to ride it for about a week now.   I usually go to Patterson Park, and try to find an area with less people to notice me crashing.   I have tried the tennis courts, but am not able to keep turning for very long in that caged in area.   I have tried a basketball court, which is better.  I have tried going down a hill and into the grass by the baseball field, which usually gets me a pretty good distance (probably 100 feet) before I crash it.   I think the grass is bumpy though and it does make things more difficult.  I wear lots of protective gear and have crashed countless times.   Usually, I find a post or something to help me stand on it and then can go for a little while.  There have been a couple times when I have been able to get going without holding onto anything, just pushing off of one foot.   This often results in an even faster crash, though.  I am able to travel sometimes 50 feet, sometimes 100 feet, and often much less.  Sometimes I can go farther if I can find a straight area.  I don't really feel safe or in control, but am continuously working to keep it going as long as I can.  I know how to slow down, but am not very good at it, especially when my wheel starts to tilt and I am unable to recover.  When the wheel starts tilting, I wish I could just slow down and step off, but usually this ends with me jumping off and the wheel slamming and scratching against the pavement.  I have even had times where the wheel slammed into the pavement, hopped up into the air and did a few flips, and then slammed a second time while rolling over itself repeatedly.  I have watched many videos and understand that sometimes you need to twist, sometimes you can bend a leg to turn, sometimes can just point your body in a direction.  I am just not good at it.  My wheel is pretty scratched up from all the crashes, even with the protective cover (which I have now duct-taped together because it is ripping at the seams from all the abuse).  I am pretty sore from trying to ride this thing, but I do try to give it 30 minutes to an hour when I can.  I am pretty sure that if I keep going like this, my wheel is no longer going to be functional.

I am looking for anyone in the Baltimore area who would be willing to meet me in person to give me a few pointers before I destroy this wheel.

I'm not near Baltimore, but it sounds like your tire pressure might be too low. So check if it's ok (see the markings on the tire sidewall for the pressure range). Also, if you can ride for a few dozen feet but not longer, usually that just means you're too slow. Speed stabilizes you, don't be afraid of that. 10+mph is a good stable speed. Braking can always be achieved by doing a "sitting down" motion (literally like there was a chair behind you and you start to sit down in it - that shifts your weight back). And riding on flat, hard ground is easier than on soft, bumpy grass.

Hoping you find someone. Nothing more helpful for learning than another rider! Maybe even someone from the D.C. area. @Lutalo might know more.

Thanks @meepmeepmayer. @DaveSignal The DC Glydiators are local, and we have a Baltimore chapter headed by @JBinBalt

You can follow and join our events on Meetup at: Check out Glydiators http://meetu.ps/c/4ckYm/DMZ1W/a on Meetup
http://meetu.ps/c/4ckYm/DMZ1W/a

You can follow up to the minute happenings, and connect with riders in DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York on our Telegram Chat at: t.me/DMVGlydiators

you can find us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Glydiators/?ref=share

Telegram is an awesome place to link up with someone in Baltimore, or if you have the time we can meet up in DC and spend some time getting you acquainted with your wheel. Soon you will be joining our group rides which occur weekly.

• Upvote 1

@DaveSignal don't worry about destroying the wheel. It can handle a lot of abuse. Everything you are describing is a normal part of the learning experience.

Usually, in the beginning we overcompensate with our hips by swinging them left or right to correct falls; especially, when we experience any wobble or vacillation of the wheel. This actually causes you to fall. Eventually, we discover that the best way to correct when learning is actually by straightening the hips, and micro-adjusting the pressure on the feet. This keeps the body relaxed and straight while allowing the wheel to self-correct.

If you stay 👆 upright, then the wheel will seek to do the same thing. If you are throwing your hips left and right then the wheel will follow your hips and become unsteady. 

Don't know if I have clarified anything that actually helps you. This is really one of those: "I can show you better than I can tell you scenarios." :)

Edited by Lutalo