16X or Nikola?

an5vf

14 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Might be the angle.

Nikola is definitely thicker (feels thicker too), but visually, it's not by a huge margin.

Hi, my name is a Hsiang and I am a wheel squeezer, and if like me you enjoy the sense of reassurance of having a wheel firmly planted between your knee for control jump or what have you then I think the shell and profile on the 16X is more comfortable than the wider, more slippery shell on the nikola.

I also haven't had extensive ride time on the Nikola, but if it has the same motor and battery config as the MSX then it'll be a faster wheel. The sense of stable predictable ride on the 16X actually made me wish that it is capable of going faster than 31mph, since i had hit that limit on multiple occasion on a longer ride. Yes you wouldn't need that speed just commuting, but let me ask you; if you were to sprout a pair of wing, yes that would make your commute easier, but would you be satisfied just commuting when you can FLY??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

Hi, my name is a Hsiang and I am a wheel squeezer, and if like me you enjoy the sense of reassurance of having a wheel firmly planted between your knee for control jump or what have you then I think the shell and profile on the 16X is more comfortable than the wider, more slippery shell on the nikola.

I also haven't had extensive ride time on the Nikola, but if it has the same motor and battery config as the MSX then it'll be a faster wheel. The sense of stable predictable ride on the 16X actually made me wish that it is capable of going faster than 31mph, since i had hit that limit on multiple occasion on a longer ride. Yes you wouldn't need that speed just commuting, but let me ask you; if you were to sprout a pair of wing, yes that would make your commute easier, but would you be satisfied just commuting when you can FLY??

LOL, why are you replying to me? :confused1: (and why does your signature still say you're eagerly waiting for the Z10)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I replaced mine with the standard black grip tape and everyone I know is doing the same. The plastic grip tape sucks IMHO.

+1. Bit of heat helps to peel off the original tape. The unscrew the foot plates and use them to trace an outline and trim the new grip tape. I appreciate that the Nikola pedals are symmetrical on the left and right. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

The Nikola on the left looks much thinner than the boxy 16x on the right though?

Might a optical illusion due to mix of black and white. This is a trick used to make cars look sportier/smaller too. If you have one colour surface you will likely precieve it as boxier/heavier. 

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Might a optical illusion due to mix of black and white. This is a trick used to make cars look sportier/smaller too. If you have one colour surface you will likely precieve it as boxier/heavier. 

Woah, that’s it! 

There is an appeal regarding the Kingsong safety buffer, however KS wheels habitually report a speed that is lower than actual and in the case of the latest 18L/XL, distance traveled that is greater than actual.  With that said, Your actual top speed before tiltback is about 10% lower than actual; confirmed multiple times by GPS.  Not sure how Gotway reported speed compares to GPS as I do not own one, there is at least the ability to cruise at higher speeds before the tiltback nannies kick in.

With that said, between the two 84V offerings, it's close depending on what you prioritize.  However, the 100V Nikola decimates the 16X on performance and KS didn't even release this wheel yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

There is an appeal regarding the Kingsong safety buffer, however KS wheels habitually report a speed that is lower than actual and in the case of the latest 18L/XL, distance traveled that is greater than actual.  With that said, Your actual top speed before tiltback is about 10% lower than actual; confirmed multiple times by GPS.  Not sure how Gotway reported speed compares to GPS as I do not own one, there is at least the ability to cruise at higher speeds before the tiltback nannies kick in.

With that said, between the two 84V offerings, it's close depending on what you prioritize.  However, the 100V Nikola decimates the 16X on performance and KS didn't even release this wheel yet.

Just out of curiosity how fast would you like to see these things go? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, an5vf said:

Solid advice boys, i think i'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the nikola :efef77eaf5:

:efef77eaf5:  Pull it Pull it what are you waiting for? I'll still be here on your shoulder until you do it !  :efef77eaf5:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Let me rephrase that for you @Patton250

Address to @Ben Kim

How easy do you want to kill yourself? You really don't need to do it on an EUC... 

To me 69kmh on a Nikola or MSX 100v is simply nothing but insane. You only have traction on 1 wheel. Going faster is not going to make it easier for the EUC community. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Patton250 said:

that is irrelevant, my issue is KS’ 31 MPH isn’t a real 31 MPH, then it bases its own tiltback on perceived max speed, not actual. 

With that said, I have a V3 monster on order. 

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

that is irrelevant, my issue is KS’ 31 MPH isn’t a real 31 MPH, then it bases its own tiltback on perceived max speed, not actual. 

With that said, I have a V3 monster on order. 

You mentioned speed so I asked you what you thought. I’m not really sure how that’s a irrelevant . Had I asked you your favorite food to me that would be irrelevant .  Though I would’ve answered that as well had these questions been asked to me. 

Edited by Patton250
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alien Rides said:

Just chiming in to say that much like @Marty Backe, I've been brainwashed by a Nikola. In my case, the 100 volt Nikola Plus. It's got power, range and comfort - the best wheel I have ridden to date. The 16X looks nice and is probably more portable I'd imagine, but I'm sure I'd be missing the power of the Nikola Plus if I rode it.

:thumbup: Yes, welcome to the Nikola club :cheers:

... where all the cool kids hang out:)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:thumbup: Yes, welcome to the Nikola club :cheers:

... where all the cool kids hang out:)

I guess I grew up... 🙄

I don’t hang out, I commute to work. 😏

I am pretty sure the KS16X works great for me. 😎

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I guess I grew up... 🙄

I don’t hang out, I commute to work. 😏

I am pretty sure the KS16X works great for me. 😎

The problem with the 16X is nobody owns one. All we can talk about and say is the best wheel that currently exists, is the Nikola. Non-released wheels are hypothetical. The Nikola has been available for months.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The problem with the 16X is nobody owns one. All we can talk about and say is the best wheel that currently exists, is the Nikola. Non-released wheels are hypothetical. The Nikola has been available for months.

Did you order a 16X Marty?

For speed 70kmh sounds good :) I wouldn't mind 60kmh cruising for short bursts which I'm afraid to do with 84v msx as it beeps around 50kmh for me.

Everytime I want to push it I get insta beep!

There's not many stretches of road you can do that on, but there are a few around me and it would be nice to max out on those. 

Once you get used to it the current "higher" speeds don't feel very fast on open smooth pavement. I normally ride 20-40, but when you want to go fast it's nice to have the option!

11 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

For speed 70kmh sounds good :) I wouldn't mind 60kmh cruising for short bursts which I'm afraid to do with 84v msx as it beeps around 50kmh for me.

Everytime I want to push it I get insta beep!

There's not many stretches of road you can do that on, but there are a few around me and it would be nice to max out on those. 

Once you get used to it the current "higher" speeds don't feel very fast on open smooth pavement. I normally ride 20-40, but when you want to go fast it's nice to have the option!

You want to go 40 mph on a wheel? Lol.  Maybe Darwin was right. Lol

just got some feedback from @Alien Rides on the differences between the Nikola 84v and 100v, I've pasted below if anyone was wondering

"the weight of the 100 volt will be heavier for sure, I don’t have exact numbers, but I’ll try to get those, a few pounds heavier I would imagine. For performance, it’s subjective, but it felt about a 10% increase across the curve, including acceleration, hill climbing, and top-end speed. If you aren’t a speed demon or care about maxing it out, then I think the 84 volt version is totally fine. Many of my friends have that wheel and love it."

4 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

You want to go 40 mph on a wheel? Lol.  Maybe Darwin was right. Lol

Agreed! lol

• Upvote 1

I actually went ahead and ordered the 84v Nikola last night btw! Thanks @Marty Backe and everyone else who provided input and feedback. Unfortunately, the current batch of "new" controllers that Jason was going use to replace the original controller has some issues. So he's waiting on a "newer" batch of controllers arriving at some point next week, which he will then install into the Nikola and ship out. I thought I would have my wheel by the end of the week but it's looking like I won't have it for another 2 weeks :efee565ab0:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, an5vf said:

I thought I would have my wheel by the end of the week but it's looking like I won't have it for another 2 weeks :efee565ab0:

I feel for you, NOT! :laughbounce2:   I won't have mine until the end of August :eff006f726:

Just now, an5vf said:
6 minutes ago, Dave U said:

I won't have mine until the end of August :eff006f726:

Nevermind, just saw the note on your member status! Awesome, go Nikola! I thought the motor was 2000W however

1 hour ago, an5vf said:

Nevermind, just saw the note on your member status! Awesome, go Nikola! I thought the motor was 2000W however

Correct, 84V - 2100wh battery - 2000W motor 
Edited by Dave U
correction