16X or Nikola?

an5vf

On 7/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, houseofjob said:

LOL, yeah, I'm trying to get it out, but if the early airship guys get stuff out first, so be it.

Right now, I've just yesterday received shipment from KS of the new board (ups to 12 247 MOS from 9 smaller MOS of the OG board) and new tire they're using on the production models, but ran into a few hitches, as the I've punctured the inner tube (unsuccessfully patched) when swapping out to the new tire (Jason to the rescue, as he's expressing out a new inner tube :lol:), and frustratingly, they've drilled screw holes on this new board heatsink that are wider than the previous board *smh, so I had to audible and go out and get a longer screw/nut combo as a hack fix.

*Ugh, all this effort for what is in the end not my wheel. Oh well, I will get my 2 cents out on how the new board/ride feels at some point I guess.

Hi guys, pretty new here and looking to get my first EUC! Really appreciate all the excellent content you guys have produced about the various wheels. @houseofjob I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on the updated 16x. I was also considering the Nikola but after all the discussion about the MOSFET issues, not so sure anymore. Although I must say I don't believe I would be pushing a wheel that hard. Looking to use mostly for commuting ~4 miles round trip to work everyday and joy riding on the weekends along the esplanade in boston. My only conundrum at the moment is potentially waiting two months for my first wheel if I do go with the 16x:efee565ab0: I don't know how much longer I can do bluebikes haha! Really want to pull the trigger on a Tesla v2 but not so flush with cash that I could just order the 16x as well. Decisions decisions

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, an5vf said:

I was also considering the Nikola but after all the discussion about the MOSFET issues, not so sure anymore.

With the new board and no glue where it shouldn't be, the Nikola board is the maybe best board available. The 16X will have an equally impressive board. So if you buy now, not an issue.

-

I'm starting to think the Nikola or 16X are too big/heavy/unwieldy for a beginner. Not impossible or bad, just not ideal. Maybe I'm wrong.

So getting a Tesla now and a 16X later (and selling the Tesla then) might be another alternative. Your intuition will tell you what's best for you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

With the new board and no glue where it shouldn't be, the Nikola board is the maybe best board available. The 16X will have an equally impressive board. So if you buy now, not an issue.

-

I'm starting to think the Nikola or 16X are too big/heavy/unwieldy for a beginner. Not impossible or bad, just not ideal. Maybe I'm wrong.

So getting a Tesla now and a 16X later (and selling the Tesla then) might be another alternative. Your intuition will tell you what's best for you.

So the nikolas currently on sale from ewheels have the updated board?

To your second point, I've borrowed a v8 from a friend and have put roughly 100 miles in the last couple weeks! I was also fortunate enough to be able to try the tesla, which I did enjoy. @Marty Backe I know you have tried both the tesla and nikola. Do you feel like the nikola is noticeably more bulky while riding than the tesla? I do appreciate that the 16x has a slimmer width and a better handle, it seems like the nikola handle can be awkward to lug around since you can't get your hand around it fully. I live on the third floor so the awkward nikola handle could get cumbersome :efef36327c:

As for your third point, is there a good place to check for used EUCs for sale? Apologies if this information is available elsewhere that I am unaware of. Thanks for your help and feedback guys! I am really enjoying becoming a part of the community :thumbup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, an5vf said:

Yes they have. I would be extremely, extremely surprised if they hadn't. Jason has been shipping out replacement boards (and I assume did a lot of replacements for customers who didn't to it themselves) so he would sabotage himself by shipping out old boards that he just has to replace anyways. Btw. even those old boards would have been perfectly fine without the glue, just not as well-built as the new boards.

And you can always shoot him a quick email to get from 99.999% certainty to 100%.

So any Nikola not from that tainted first batch is as good and safe as a wheel can be, with (one of) the best board(s) available:wub:

10 minutes ago, an5vf said:

To your second point, I've borrowed a v8 from a friend and have put roughly 100 miles in the last couple weeks! I was also fortunate enough to be able to try the tesla, which I did enjoy.

Great! In that case, forget it. I was talking purely about learning on the first wheel you ride on, where a too bulky wheel might be discouraging.

What kind of wheel (lighter or heavier) you want is simply a question of preference now. The Nikola reportedly has a very nice smooth ride, and for commuting will be more comfortable to ride than the Tesla. If your heart tells you to get a 16X, get that instead. Always buy the wheel you secretly really want.

11 minutes ago, an5vf said:

As for your third point, is there a good place to check for used EUCs for sale?

Used wheel forum here:P They sell quite quickly and sold wheel posts are often hidden, so maybe it looks like less is going on than actually is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, an5vf said:

Thanks for your help and feedback guys! I am really enjoying becoming a part of the community :thumbup:

Welcome!

48339108277_a74efe8fee_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, an5vf said:

@houseofjob I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on the updated 16x. 

Thanks, LOL, no pressure, right? :lol::crying:

2 hours ago, an5vf said:

I was also considering the Nikola but after all the discussion about the MOSFET issues, not so sure anymore. 

Dunno why you wouldn't (?) 

Any first run model wheel always has kinks (like the Nikola, 16X, etc; in contrast, models like the MSX do not qualify, as this wheel draws its lineage back from the MSV3), so now that the major one for the Nikola has been found, I'd say as long as your buying from a reputable dealer, you probably won't encounter this issue.

For the 16X, until this inner tube comes in, I still have yet to hear any legit, I've-tried-this-wheel-for-miles report that the bobbling has been solved in the firmware, or by this new 12 247 MOS board.

2 hours ago, an5vf said:

Looking to use mostly for commuting ~4 miles round trip to work everyday and joy riding on the weekends along the esplanade in boston. My only conundrum at the moment is potentially waiting two months for my first wheel if I do go with the 16x:efee565ab0: I don't know how much longer I can do bluebikes haha! Really want to pull the trigger on a Tesla v2 but not so flush with cash that I could just order the 16x as well. Decisions decisions

I went to school in Boston back in the day.

While Boston roads are not complete Swiss cheese like NYC, they're not exactly smooth as a baby's bottom like the West Coast pavement apparently is.

If I was still living in Boston, I would still want my tire width to be at least 2.5" wide for bad road comfort, and better chance for recovery from bumps.

1 hour ago, an5vf said:

As for your third point, is there a good place to check for used EUCs for sale? Apologies if this information is available elsewhere that I am unaware of. Thanks for your help and feedback guys! I am really enjoying becoming a part of the community :thumbup:

Alternatively to @meepmeepmayer's suggestion of the Private Sales section here on the forums, our NYC PEV Marketplace FB forum has picked up a little activity of late, if you are willing to make the 4-hour trip down here to pick up.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, an5vf said:

To your second point, I've borrowed a v8 from a friend and have put roughly 100 miles in the last couple weeks! I was also fortunate enough to be able to try the tesla, which I did enjoy. @Marty Backe I know you have tried both the tesla and nikola. Do you feel like the nikola is noticeably more bulky while riding than the tesla? I do appreciate that the 16x has a slimmer width and a better handle, it seems like the nikola handle can be awkward to lug around since you can't get your hand around it fully. I live on the third floor so the awkward nikola handle could get cumbersome :efef36327c:

As @meepmeepmayer said (damn the mobile interface, mentions don't work!), If you're buying from eWheels you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The Nikola is a great wheel for what it's worth; I love mine - best wheel I've ridden so far! The wide handle isn't a problem for me in practice, and I'm not sure I've actually heard of anyone for whom it's been a real issue. The KS16X seems like it will be a great wheel as well, so both will probably be great options. Meep makes a good argument though, go with your heart's desire!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nils said:

As @meepmeepmayer said (damn the mobile interface, mentions don't work!), If you're buying from eWheels you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The Nikola is a great wheel for what it's worth; I love mine - best wheel I've ridden so far! The wide handle isn't a problem for me in practice, and I'm not sure I've actually heard of anyone for whom it's been a real issue. The KS16X seems like it will be a great wheel as well, so both will probably be great options. Meep makes a good argument though, go with your heart's desire!

Hi @Nils I have been voraciously reading your comments and reviews about the Nikola! How do you like the trolley handle? You mentioned there was some creakiness on one of the sides as well right? @Marty Backe also said that the grip tape is crap in wet conditions. Plus, I worry about the crack-proneness of the nikola shell. Can you comment on these things?

On a side note, on Kuji's review of the 16x, he mentioned it was a little more nimble and had a bit more acceleration than the nikola. I guess that's to be expected because the 16x is 2 lbs lighter and 1 in thinner lol. How do you feel about the maneuverability of the nikola? Thank you so much for your help and discussion!

Edited by an5vf
left out some discussion points
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

so now that the major one for the Nikola has been found, I'd say as long as your buying from a reputable dealer, you probably definitely won't encounter this issue.

Fixed. New board -> good! No uncertainty there:) Just one of the finest boards (if not the finest board) in existence on one of the finest wheels (if not the finest wheel) in existence.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, an5vf said:

Hi @Nils I have been voraciously reading your comments and reviews about the Nikola! How do you like the trolley handle? You mentioned there was some creakiness on one of the sides as well right? Also I worry about the crack-proneness of the nikola shell. Can you comment on these things? Thank you so much for your help and discussion!

The trolley handle is OK, but I would like for it to lock when raised, similar to the V10F. If works fine though. There is creakiness on the right side, but I only notice it when riding one legged with the right foot, not a major issue. I don't have any concerns about the shell cracking, and I say that as someone who doesn't baby his wheels, my Nikola has taken many a tumble already. It will scratch though of course. Hope this helps :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Anyways, this is a 16X thread so any discussion about the Nikola alone (instead of 16X vs. Nikola) goes into one of the Nikola threads please.

so sorry about that @meepmeepmayer! I am done with solely discussing the nikola here!

7 minutes ago, Nils said:

The trolley handle is OK, but I would like for it to lock when raised, similar to the V10F. If works fine though. There is creakiness on the right side, but I only notice it when riding one legged with the right foot, not a major issue. I don't have any concerns about the shell cracking, and I say that as someone who doesn't baby his wheels, my Nikola has taken many a tumble already. It will scratch though of course. Hope this helps :)

Thank you very much @Nils certainly very helpful! Got some tough decisions to make between the 16X and Nikola. Again I appreciate all your feedback guys! btw anyone know when I can start messaging people directly?

Just now, an5vf said:

so sorry about that @meepmeepmayer! I am done with solely discussing the nikola here!

Nothing to be sorry about. I just tried to preempt the usual topic drift for once;)

1 minute ago, an5vf said:

btw anyone know when I can start messaging people directly?

You should be able to...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Er, I think you're reading into this a little too much.

I weighed the 16X to be about 55 lbs, so the weight difference from the Nikola is negligible IMHO.

Kuji seems to be a shell squeezer (as seen by his penchant for jumping), so body thickness/boxiness is what I believe he is referring to regarding "nimbleness"/"maneuverability"; as when I pressed him to go beyond the usual "every wheel is good" pleasantries, he noted he didn't like the Nikola due to the boxiness (the circular Nikola shell bulges out more than the more straight Nikola shell, as well as the glossy Nikola shell has less grip than the 16X shell, which supports your leg length entirely with padding).

For guys like me who ride wide feet stance anyways, they don't feel that different in "nimbleness" or "maneuverability".

XHusBVY.jpg

whoa thanks for the pic and info @houseofjob that Nikola kind of looks like a little orca from this angle;) What about acceleration? Any big differences there? 

On another note, Marty mentioned that the grip on the pedals doesn't hold up in wet conditions. Another friend of mine mentioned that Gotway is changing the original rubber grip to normal grip tape. Is this true?

4 minutes ago, an5vf said:

whoa thanks for the pic and info @houseofjob that Nikola kind of looks like a little orca from this angle;) What about acceleration? Any big differences there? 

On another note, Marty mentioned that the grip on the pedals doesn't hold up in wet conditions. Another friend of mine mentioned that Gotway is changing the original rubber grip to normal grip tape. Is this true?

The pedals on the Nikola are definitely slippery when you have dirt on your shoes.  It’s not overly horrible if your feet are just wet but any type of dirt makes it extremely bad. 

3 hours ago, an5vf said:

What about acceleration? Any big differences there? 

A.) Not a hill guy, B.) my time with the Nikola is not nearly as much (short demo run to get the gist), so take my opinion for what it is... but....

IMHO, not enough of a difference to care. There might be a tad more on the 16X, but it's gonna make you work some for it, not some magical foot press and instant torque (aka no effort), like some people seem to be expecting. If you want that degree of "no-effort" torque, stick with the lighter 2.125" wide 16's & 14's.

3 hours ago, an5vf said:

Meh, I have been impressed so much with the aftermarket DKL non-abrasive griptape, that I am re-doing all my pedals with it here-on-out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Meh, I have been impressed so much with the aftermarket DKL non-abrasive griptape, that I am re-doing all my pedals with it here-on-out.

Yeh I saw that @eddiemoy mentioned DKL grip tape in another thread. Do you just put it on over the existing grip on the pedal?

Edited by an5vf
spelling

20 minutes ago, an5vf said:

Yeh I saw that @eddiemoy mentioned DKL grip tape in another thread. Do you just put it on over the existing grip on the pedal?

No, I strip the pedal from it's griptape with the help of some Goo Gone, then reapply the DKL grip tape. A few of our riders have it on their wheels, and I haven't heard a bad thing so far; loving them on my Monster pedals.

Edited by houseofjob

7 hours ago, an5vf said:

Hi @Nils I have been voraciously reading your comments and reviews about the Nikola! How do you like the trolley handle? You mentioned there was some creakiness on one of the sides as well right? @Marty Backe also said that the grip tape is crap in wet conditions. Plus, I worry about the crack-proneness of the nikola shell. Can you comment on these things?

On a side note, on Kuji's review of the 16x, he mentioned it was a little more nimble and had a bit more acceleration than the nikola. I guess that's to be expected because the 16x is 2 lbs lighter and 1 in thinner lol. How do you feel about the maneuverability of the nikola? Thank you so much for your help and discussion!

I replaced mine with the standard black grip tape and everyone I know is doing the same. The plastic grip tape sucks IMHO.

6 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Er, I think you're reading into this a little too much.

I weighed the 16X to be about 55 lbs, so the weight difference from the Nikola is negligible IMHO.

Kuji seems to be a shell squeezer (as seen by his penchant for jumping), so body thickness/boxiness is what I believe he is referring to regarding "nimbleness"/"maneuverability"; as when I pressed him to go beyond the usual "every wheel is good" pleasantries, he noted he didn't like the Nikola due to the boxiness (the circular Nikola shell bulges out more than the more straight Nikola shell, as well as the glossy Nikola shell has less grip than the 16X shell, which supports your leg length entirely with padding).

For guys like me who ride wide feet stance anyways, they don't feel that different in "nimbleness" or "maneuverability".

XHusBVY.jpg

The Nikola on the left looks much thinner than the boxy 16x on the right though?

5 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

The Nikola on the left looks much thinner than the boxy 16x on the right though?

Might be the angle.

Nikola is definitely thicker (feels thicker too), but visually, it's not by a huge margin.

• Like 1