New here, wondering if V10F is a good first wheel

Yellowman

Hello,

I am new here. I first started with a Segway Ninebot S but then it felt not very challenging and with limited range.

I saw that unicycles have longer ranges and I ended up buying a V10F.

The wheel is heavy and I feel I might regret my purchase. I don't know how to ride it yet and perhaps it is an overkill for a beginner.

I would love some feedback, encouragements and advise!

Thank you!

I learnt a year ago to ride an EUC with my V10.  Such wheels might take a bit longer to learn to ride than a light wheel, but you'll manage.  It took me one week of a daily 30-60 minute session in order to feel comfortable on the wheel, another additional week in order to feel comfortable in traffic.  The most difficult I found was starting to ride, there the weight of the wheel is a real drawback. 

Hang in there, after a few days, it just 'clicks' inside your head, and you'll notice suddenly everything will become a lot easier. 

• Upvote 1

I think whatever wheel you learn on is the best wheel honestly.

One can argue power, or size, weight tire width etc, but it's a foreign, weird and unique experience to ride at first in any case; and the basics transfer from one wheel to the next. You don't 'learn' again after you know how to ride, just like a bicycle. One thing to consider for sure is price, because maybe you won't like it, but I've never heard of such a thing!:efeed51798: Riding is a dream once you are confident! Find some fresh paved black asphalt before they even paint it, you'll be hooked.

Pad it up for scratches (inevitable learning). Just remember you will want more power and speed. 3" tires changed the game for me, haha. I always advise safety gear, but i'm very risk averse.

I think A&E is doing a show about @Marty Backe "Extreme EUC Addictions" Be warned - It only takes one summer day carving uphill and you'll be addicted.

• Like 1

The difference between you now and you in a month, is the difference between an inmotion V5 and a MSX. 

Point being, you will quickly grow and adapt to whatever wheel you stick with. I know people that have started on the monster, and have no regrets.

Welcome to the wonderful world of EUCs, hang in there for the first week, you won't regret it :)

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I also went from ninebot to V10. It felt tall and heavy at start but now after 500kms it is best wheel ever.

Took me few hundred kms before i Lost The nervousness and started to enjoy carving around. 

Hi,

Thank you all for your encouragement.

@Kristof Willen, we share similar experience then. I started training this past Friday and by Sunday I managed to hop on the wheel w/o support and go forward mainly.

Now I am ready to practice away from ramps and any support and there's a football field nearby. I noticed that the V10F is barely rolling on it and balancing is much harder than on concrete, is that normal? I have limited its speed to 8mph, could that be the reason why it feels unstable on artificial grass?

I own a V10F. A great polyvalent wheel IMHO. I recommend wearing some kind of chin protector in the beginning...

Also limit the speed to a higher value like 20km/h, you don't want to experience at this stage the pedal raise. (It could cause you to lose balance) 

If you want to see a bit what the wheel is capable of, I have a couple of videos with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDeZc6GOS7s&t=42s

Edited by pico

Can definitely speak to the instability found on football fields. I thought I was going crazy initially when I used to practice on them but they're highly uneven-- this is the turf and also the pebbly turf (dunno what it's called).

Edited by Diana Chiu

1 hour ago, Diana Chiu said:

Can definitely speak to the instability found football fields. I thought I was going crazy initially when I used to practice on them but they're highly uneven-- this is the turf and also the pebbly turf (dunno what it's called).

Yeah, they feel hard / unstable. I recall a YT video of a guy advising to practice on such fields. His video made it look easy.

In all cases, it feels like a good challenge to learn balancing on those fields because ultimately, I feel one has to master his wheel.

To conclude this thread for future readers:

I practiced 2 hours from Friday to Sunday last weekend. By Monday, I was able to ride nicely in a straight line.

By Tuesday I was able to steer better and feel more confident.

As of now (almost a week later), I have 116mi on the V10F and I agree that you will get used to it even if it is heavy. In fact, it really feels stable and that gives you confidence.

Bottom line, I, not only don't regret my purchase, I am actually trying to get my friends to get one too! :)

EUCs are very addictive ;)

This whole thing started with me riding a Segway when I was touring in Montreal. I came back and bought a Segway Ninebot S (~hoverboard), got disappointed by its range and discovered EUCs.

Who wants to buy my Segway Ninebot S? ;)

• Like 3

On 7/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, Yellowman said:

As of now (almost a week later), I have 116mi on the V10F and I agree that you will get used to it even if it is heavy. In fact, it really feels stable and that gives you confidence.

Bottom line, I, not only don't regret my purchase, I am actually trying to get my friends to get one too! :)

You hung in there and got over the hardest part. Congrats 🎉 

And the best part? You will get better in ways you didn’t think possible in 200 miles, 400 miles, 600 miles, etc. It’s pure bliss from here my friend.

Ride safe and within the limits of the motor :).

• Like 1