King Song Seated

Miehlvin

I got a KS18XL which I really enjoy. The only thing I miss is a seat. I have to take breaks on longer rides, so it would be great to be able to ride seated as well.

This will only be speculation I guess, but do you guys think King Song will eventually release a new seated model?

No, they won't, as has been stated before.

More importantly though, the inner shell of the KS18L/XL has proven prone to cracking over time, so if you start sitting on the case, this tendency will probably accelerate this weakness.

If you want a seated EUC, you should probably get one that was designed to sit, like the KS-18S or Gotway Monster.

• Upvote 1

@houseofjob He didn't ask about a seat for the 18(X)L, but a new seated KS wheel:)

The 18(X)L had great reception, compared to the "meh" of the 18S despite its competitive specs. So looks like most people don't want tall form factor wheels, or at least the 18S look.

Also, KS could have easily upgraded the 18S with their 18(X)L internals. While that would not be a spec boost (top speed 50kph either way), it would have been a good way to show they still consider the 18S part of the current line-up instead of an older model.

But KS didn't do that.

People are asking for seats and seated options a lot. So sooner or later the manufacturers will have to do that. But given that the 18(X)L is a quite new design and KS didn't rush to upgrade their 18S, probably it's not high on their list right now. I would not expect such an upgrade soon. Maybe Gotway will do it in some capacity and KS will eventually react (just like with the bigger batteries). 

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@meepmeepmayer Thank you for your reply :)

I have seen people stated that the KS18S battery is not delivering the range they expected, so that makes it not so interesting for me. I have never tried riding it, and I see some people say that it feels weird to ride due to it's height, but atleast I want good range. I guess I will wait and see what the future brings :)

2 minutes ago, hwoccurrence said:

I have seen people stated that the KS18S battery is not delivering the range they expected

Never heard of that, but I don't follow the KS stuff that close. Maybe they compared it to the absurd manufacturer claims? Or it is the 840Wh version?

I know of two irregularities:

• Nikola getting less range due to more aggressive firmware
  • 18(X)L getting more range due to depleting the batteries further than other wheels.

Otherwise, the same battery size gave 99% the same range, independent of the wheel. That's how it used to be.

Never heard any complaints about the 18S. I think you should even get better range because seated riding has lower wind resistance. Maybe @US69 or @eddiemoy know something.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@houseofjob He didn't ask about a seat for the 18(X)L, but a new seated KS wheel:)

Ah, thanks, another case of me reading to fast *SMH

But that doesn't change my answer either. KS polled customers across social media about a possible seat for the 16X, and the response was lackluster apparently (per Jason, as I was only remotely interested in the 16X if it had a proper, normal height seat)

Hence, no seat.

Not to mention, on first touch of the 16X, the trend towards less thick, more potentially crack-prone KS plastic shells does not seem like it is stopping, although only time will only tell on this as-of-now, yet-released model.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

People are asking for seats and seated options a lot. 

Maybe on these forums, but doesn't seem to be representative of the actual world-wide majority apparently.

Edited by houseofjob

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

the trend towards less thick, less potentially crack-prone KS plastic shells does not seem like it is stopping

You mean less thick, more crack-prone or more thick, less crack-prone?:P Also, I recommend to always add "inexplicable" or "inexplicably" when complaining about manufacturers. Because... it's true!;)

7 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

KS polled customers across social media about a possible seat for the 16X, and the response was lackluster apparently.

7 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Maybe on these forums, but doesn't seem to be representative of the actual world-wide majority apparently.

:mellow:

Good info.

Tiny sliver of hope: that was about a simple foam seat? Not about a more sophisticated raised seat thing? I still believe the latter, as (collapsible) optional attachment, would be very popular. Maybe a combination of upwards extendible seat and trolley handle, or a trolley handle you can sit on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You mean less thick, more crack-prone or more thick, less crack-prone?:P 

LOL, I corrected it but you must not have caught

Also, I recommend to always add "inexplicable" or "inexplicably" when complaining about manufacturers. Because... it's true!;)

Er, like half of what EUC manufacturers do is inexplicable, isn't this assumed? :lol:

Tiny sliver of hope: that was about a simple foam seat? Not about a more sophisticated raised seat thing? I still believe the latter, as (collapsible) optional attachment, would be very popular. Maybe a combination of upwards extendible seat and trolley handle, or a trolley handle you can sit on.

It was about any chance of a KS-made, stock-fitted seat I believe. 

Not sure how much it costs KS to make such a seat, but it must be enough for them to want to not manufacture if the demand isn't significant enough. (BTW, riders here in NYC have done a DIY yoga foam block cutout mod to sit on their 18XL's)

But based on the reports of the inner shell fragility of the 18L/XL over time, I would be hesitant to sit on these new KS models at all, preferring to ride actual wheels that were designed to sit from the inception.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, hwoccurrence said:

@houseofjob

I have seen you have ridden the KS18S on YouTube. Have you made a review of it?

Sorry, no I haven't.

I've ridden variations of the KS18 tall for years, but this was before I started up my YouTube channel, and plus, although the KS-18S is still an excellent wheel, albeit dated in performance with today's market, it was never a very popular draw IMHO due to the design. (I've also since sold my 18S).

But if you have any questions about the 18S, I'd be happy to answer :lol:

22 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Sorry, no I haven't.

I've ridden variations of the KS18 tall for years, but this was before I started up my YouTube channel, and plus, although the KS-18S is still an excellent wheel, albeit dated in performance with today's market, it was never a very popular draw IMHO due to the design. (I've also since sold my 18S).

But if you have any questions about the 18S, I'd be happy to answer :lol:

Ah OK. I see you have a monster in your signature, so I guess that is your seated wheele of choice :). I am eager to hear what people think of the v3, when it comes out.

43 minutes ago, hwoccurrence said:

Ah OK. I see you have a monster in your signature, so I guess that is your seated wheele of choice :). I am eager to hear what people think of the v3, when it comes out.

I like both 18S and Monster form factors for seated EUC riding, but my 18S was getting too long in the tooth performance-wise next to current gen wheels to justify keeping.

I too am interested in whether there is a noticeable difference for this V3 Monster compare with my fairly new V2.

As a couple of guys are receiving new V3 Monsters, I'll soon be able to tell if the upgrade from V2 to V3 is worth it. :D

• Like 2

On 7/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, houseofjob said:

Ah, thanks, another case of me reading to fast *SMH

But that doesn't change my answer either. KS polled customers across social media about a possible seat for the 16X, and the response was lackluster apparently (per Jason, as I was only remotely interested in the 16X if it had a proper, normal height seat)

Hence, no seat.

Not to mention, on first touch of the 16X, the trend towards less thick, more potentially crack-prone KS plastic shells does not seem like it is stopping, although only time will only tell on this as-of-now, yet-released model. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@buell47 yes, surprising development!

I wonder what changed King Song's minds, as they kept saying no seat until this. :confused1:

Considering no pre-orders had any mention of a seat option, I'm guessing KS threw it in as a concession for being so late too market swapping the board.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:13 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Never heard any complaints about the 18S. I think you should even get better range because seated riding has lower wind resistance. Maybe @US69 or @eddiemoy know something.

Cant say anything bad About 18S range...just where all 18inch wheels with that Watthour size are!

And About Performance:

It is really no difference to the 18L/XL...at least as you can handle the high Shell.

It is perhaps missing a micromini bit agility at the start, first one/two meters, but than it is all the same. And as a 1360/1520/1680wh Version are all 8p/80Amps, i really dont know how it could be different.  (All Statement regarding last 18S Firmware, which has been tweaked and made better constantly)

Edited by US69

Thanks for the replies. 18s looks like a good wheel, but I notice that few people are selling them now. Not in stock in my country at least. I guess the 16x will not be so comfortable seated due to it's height, but still better than no seat.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:28 AM, houseofjob said:

Considering no pre-orders had any mention of a seat option, I'm guessing KS threw it in as a concession for being so late too market swapping the board. 

My information is that the seat is being made by a third-party (but sold via KS). It should be available from late August...

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Upvote 3

On 7/21/2019 at 5:49 AM, hwoccurrence said:

I got a KS18XL which I really enjoy. The only thing I miss is a seat. I have to take breaks on longer rides, so it would be great to be able to ride seated as well.

This will only be speculation I guess, but do you guys think King Song will eventually release a new seated model?

You can always do this... That being out there, I'm a lightweight rider and only sit when on pavement.

• Like 1