How do you deal with passers-by?

AlexEssex

Hi, So. I have just bought myself an E+ after trading in my Xiaomi Scooter, and is due to start the faceplant training shortly lol! 

What I wanted to know is how you deal with the very narrow minded public who see anyone on an electric scooter as an alien from the future and cant get their heads round what they are seeing (yes really!). Everytime I wizz by on my scoot about 80% take a good look and think...wtf? Now im like "get over it, you never seen a scooter before?" But now im going one step further with an EUC, now this is really going to fcuk with their heads. As much as I will be proud as punch to get to work on my super cool EUC im slightly anxious about doing so, because literally they are ALL going to turn heads now, so much so with an EU.

So Im assuming its all about confidence, how did you all manage your first rides in the general public? 

• Like 1

The first rides? There was a lot of stopping, plus I had very poor control of straight line movement, so I was obviously on something new. There was a lot of stopping and talking to people. I'd guess a new rider has to be sociable.

Nowdays I rarely ride my wheels, preferring instead to take my bicycles. When I do ride my wheels, I ride quickly while avoiding people, going so far as to cross the street or take long ways just to avoid people. While the OneWheel is a common sight, and the eEcooter riders often outnumber bicyclists, the EUC is still not common, and you will be stopped by curious people.

Until EUCs get more common, I'd guess most riders eventually become like me, where I actively avoid other people, otherwise you'll never get to your destination.

I will say if you're a young single male, the EUC is probably one of the best ways to casually meet girls.

• Like 1

I just ignore it. No way you can stop and answer everyone's questions. Everyone thinks they are the only ones with questions. Just smile and pass by... why the worries? They are just curious, they don't wanna rob you. 

I mean its kinda like going to the gym for the first time ever, you have a feeling like everyone is looking at you when in reality they are looking at themselves in the mirror. 

People are looking at your EUC, not you.

I feel uncomfortable as well sometimes when there is too much attention, so I pass by slowly and then floor it, really fun ;)

• Like 2

When I commute to work everyday its really quite early and I see the same few people every morning around 6am so roads are quiet and these people dont even 2nd look me, its when I finish work the same time as the school ends...the kids can be hardwork, but I often speed by them!

I will try to promote the ease and fun of EUCs in my small village but I just dont think it will ever catch on somehow! I wish it would!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KingOsmos said:

I just ignore it. No way you can stop and answer everyone's questions. Everyone thinks they are the only ones with questions. Just smile and pass by... why the worries?

If I want to avoid a conversation about the wheel, I just smile and wave (sometimes giving a one-sentence answer) while I continue rolling past. Depending on the situation, I do stop sometimes. For example, last week an older gentleman was driving beside me in his van, rolled down his window and called out, "Do you take questions?" I ended up talking with him and his wife for about 5 minutes. I was smiling about how amazed they were by the EUC.

• Like 1

I think how you carry yourself makes a difference.

When I ride my wheel, I am usually wearing work clothes and I try to pass off like it's no big deal. Of course, people do ask "what is that", but I'm always too far away before I can answer.

I trolley my wheel within a block of where I work. This is where most people try to engage me and ask about my wheel. However, since I work near a major transit hub (where a lot of people are trolleying luggage) I sometimes tell curious people "it's just smart luggage".

The "smart luggage" comment usually ends the conversation. People just scratch their head and imagine it's beyond their comprehension. Should they ask: "where do you put stuff?' I may have to get creative with my answers...

How about:

"You don't put clothes in it, it orders them ahead of time for you..." ;)

Edited by RayRay
Does it fold out into a scooter?
  • Like 3

They said in 2020 we will all be flying cars, but not quite....we are down to just one wheel now. We nearly there though! Just need to remove one more wheel now and the future really is here!

• Like 2

In my case I like talking to people while riding as my time frame or destination is traditionally not mandated. It also might be my line of work as I like gabbing with the patients and their parents.

When I ride around the lake everyone knows me so it’s usually just a quick hello but when I ride at parks the questions become more involved. I will always stop for kids with their parents. They’re so curious and filled with fun, inquisitive questions. 

• Upvote 1

i put in headphones and ignore everyone lol.. sometimes when at a stop light someone will come up to me and motion me and start asking all sorts of questions who seem genuinely interested.. never had anyone with anything negative to say.. i think most people know who i am by now lol ive been riding all around town every single day multiple times for like 2 1/2 years now generally people hardly even glance anymore but i still get some people every so often whos minds are blown, one woman walking with a baby stroller recently screamed at the top of her lungs "WHAT IN THE FUCK IS THAT!?!?!?!?" i laughed and engaged her and she was just completely baffled by how i was riding it lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, Rywokast said:

i put in headphones and ignore everyone lol.. sometimes when at a stop light someone will come up to me and motion me and start asking all sorts of questions who seem genuinely interested.. never had anyone with anything negative to say.. i think most people know who i am by now lol ive been riding all around town every single day multiple times for like 2 1/2 years now generally people hardly even glance anymore but i still get some people every so often whos minds are blown, one woman walking with a baby stroller recently screamed at the top of her lungs "WHAT IN THE FUCK IS THAT!?!?!?!?" i laughed and engaged her and she was just completely baffled by how i was riding it lol

How big is your city/town? 

I live in a small college town so it’s always a new rotation of people coming in. I’d say 1/4 of my riding time is spent socializing, answering questions etc. The kids and students are fun to impress but it’s the older crowd, the parents and such that I love haha. They are much more shocked, with mouths agape, at how far technology has come from their world war 2 days. 

Nowadays I tell people it’s a prototype and I’m lucky enough to test it out. Just recently this one rich Asian student in a Maserati drove up to me in the road and asked me how many of them do I have (because he noticed i ride different looking ones! How perceptive) Since I’m always in the road at stop lights I always get someone rolling down their window asking a question, and then all the other cars roll down their windows to pitch in on the questions or listen 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

How big is your city/town? 

I live in a small college town so it’s always a new rotation of people coming in. I’d say 1/4 of my riding time is spent socializing, answering questions etc. The kids and students are fun to impress but it’s the older crowd, the parents and such that I love haha. They are much more shocked, with mouths agape, at how far technology has come from their world war 2 days. 

Nowadays I tell people it’s a prototype and I’m lucky enough to test it out. Just recently this one rich Asian student in a Maserati drove up to me in the road and asked me how many of them do I have (because he noticed i ride different looking ones! How perceptive) Since I’m always in the road at stop lights I always get someone rolling down their window asking a question, and then all the other cars roll down their windows to pitch in on the questions or listen 

very small, victoria bc.. oh wow, ive never had someone talk to me from a car lol, 99% of people are completely unphased whether im on the road or sidewalk. lmao you should have told the guy in the maserati you could get your hands on another prototype for the low price of $20,000.00

• Like 1

I don't think I have stoppped to chat with anyone yet. But here in Finland it is pretty common thing not to talk people you don't know.

Rarely car might slow down for a second and drive along or older guy giving thumbs up.

People at work thought I had weird looking suitcase with me, until one asked and I show them what it was. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lirva said:

I don't think I have stoppped to chat with anyone yet. But here in Finland it is pretty common thing not to talk people you don't know.

Rarely car might slow down for a second and drive along or older guy giving thumbs up.

People at work thought I had weird looking suitcase with me, until one asked and I show them what it was. 

ive had so many people think it was a suitcase.. especially the 16s haha

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

and then all the other cars roll down their windows to pitch in on the questions or listen 

lmfao! I was wondering when someone was going to mention this. Normally my 1 on 1 conversations turn into a group session. Everyone around smiling and asking things or just listening in. Its a good time. 

Honestly, when I ride, im usually down to talk. Its hard to be in a bad mood when Im riding. I de-stress when Im on it, so when someone is curious, im in the perfect mood to be answering questions. People are generally perceptive and can tell when im in a rush. Or i'll have to end it, politely. "Im so sorry, it was lovely talking to you, but I actually am running a bit behind!  Have a wonderful day!" and then im off. Otherwise I'll yell answers while im moving. But many times i'll stop and chat. And just like Darrell, the older people are my favorite. XD. Met the sweetest 95 year old woman in my neighborhood a while back. Just opens doors to meeting interesting people. 

• Like 1

I was on my (now sold) Walnutt Spectra Pro when a person asked a question and it turned into a instant sidewalk conference and demonstration as others also stopped to listen and inquire. I love it. 

The only time I don't respond is when I have to focus. I learned long ago while on my Segway in the street, I allowed myself to be distracted by someone and a bus turned, hitting my ankle - sprained, no biggie.

Edited by Lillian
Added another sentence.

My V5F has a curved trolley handle so if I'm asked what it is while wheeling it I tell them it's an electric dog that I can take for walks but don't have to clean up shit after it :lol:

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's only a matter of time (and not even a lot).

Two years ago the people who saw me passing through the streets, here in Paris, stopped and pointed at me with the finger. :)

Last year, sometimes someone turned to see me pass. :mellow:

Currently, seeing a wheel has become so common that no one notices me any more when I pass.... :(

• Like 1

I commute to work mostly on dedicated bike paths with cyclists here in Victoria BC.  I try to stay away from sidewalks and roads where I can, but I'm happy to have a brief chat at stoplights.  If people stare, I just smile and wave.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:23 AM, LanghamP said:

The first rides? There was a lot of stopping, plus I had very poor control of straight line movement, so I was obviously on something new. There was a lot of stopping and talking to people. I'd guess a new rider has to be sociable.

Nowdays I rarely ride my wheels, preferring instead to take my bicycles. When I do ride my wheels, I ride quickly while avoiding people, going so far as to cross the street or take long ways just to avoid people. While the OneWheel is a common sight, and the eEcooter riders often outnumber bicyclists, the EUC is still not common, and you will be stopped by curious people.

Until EUCs get more common, I'd guess most riders eventually become like me, where I actively avoid other people, otherwise you'll never get to your destination.

I will say if you're a young single male, the EUC is probably one of the best ways to casually meet girls.

Wow bro. I gotta say this outlook is kinda weird. Especially on an euc forum.  I proudly ride my euc EVERYWHERE !    I have no problems.  Sometimes people are pricks.  I tell them thanks have a great day and wheel on.  I love life and I loooooove to wheel.   I’m not shy about them or on them.   You’re outlook makes you look kinda creepy. Just saying. :)