Gotway Tesla stopped working after riding in the rain

I recently bough a Gotway Tesla (V1) and have been absolutely delighted with the performance and the feel. Recently I started to commute to work with it and it has been a nice alternative to my bike. 

Up until this point the wheel has fallen on a grass a few times and on the sidewalk at extremely low speeds.

A couple days ago I decided to take it out for a ride in the rain, something that I've done in the past. This time the rain was a bit heavier and I managed to make it all the way to my destination.

As I arrived I rode my Tesla at low speed onto a gentle (wheelchair) friendly curb. At this point the wheel threw me off and tumbled on the ground. 

It managed to turn on but could not balance anymore. 

At this point I am in talks with my dealer to see if there is anything that can be done. All the lights seem to turn on and the speakers still beep but the wheel makes a slight thrashing right when it is about to balance and then starts beeping. 

Good water resistance was among the many reasons I got the Tesla. Did I make a mistake? Also is this fixable?

hmmm.. thats pretty strange.. ive ridden multiple eucs in rain dozens of times never had any issues.. the tesla with its shape/design and board placement should be damn near waterproof... are you sure its water damage? can you show some pics of any damage to the unit? either way you are gonna have to take it apart and check out the board if you dont want to send it somewhere.. i have a hard time believing that it was simply riding in the rain unless it was left outside on its side.. but thats why pics would be good because if there was any damage in the area i circled it would leave the board vulnerable

Edited by Rywokast

Right now my dealer is reaching out to Gotway and I'll wait for him to get back. But the next step is to start taking it apart. Hopefully it's something I can fix. The battery seems fine and even the bluetooth seems to connect. 

I'll make sure to take picture and post them here if I do start to take it apart.

The other thing is that when the wheel is off it now feels gritty to roll around. I seem to remember that it was much easier to roll when the unit was powered off.

1 hour ago, gotnothing said:

Right now my dealer is reaching out to Gotway and I'll wait for him to get back. But the next step is to start taking it apart. Hopefully it's something I can fix. The battery seems fine and even the bluetooth seems to connect. 

I'll make sure to take picture and post them here if I do start to take it apart.

The other thing is that when the wheel is off it now feels gritty to roll around. I seem to remember that it was much easier to roll when the unit was powered off.

Your symptoms are of a blown MOSFET. When you open the wheel you'll probably find a burnt control board.

• Like 1

It was really rainy but I took it really easy. I would say under 25k the entire time. My concern is that the rain got into the control board somehow.

I was fortunate that the cutout  happened when I was going very slowly over the bump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

ive ridden multiple eucs in rain dozens of times never had any issues

Yes, I've been in some major downpours with various EUCs, sometimes for extended periods (30-60 minutes), and only once a bad result occurred (which was not very bad): the beeper on my MSuper V2 stopped working. For a month it did not work, so I assumed the water killed it. To my amazement, after not working for a month it started working again and has been fine ever since!

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Like 1

Thanks @MaxLinux, that's good to know. Looks like I might be going with @Marty Backe recommendation and replacing the board. I'll wait to see what my dealer does first. He reached out to Gotway so hopefully I'll hear something soon. 

Definitely want this resolved as soon as possible. In the short time I've ridden I feel like my legs have fused with the wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, gotnothing said:

Would that have happened from water damage or just regular use?  Haven't heard of the Tesla having these issues but perhaps it's more common than I know.

not with the recent iterations of the V1 tesla, no.. its very uncommon but that doesnt mean it cant happen from what can seemingly feel like nothing

2 minutes ago, gotnothing said:

Thanks @MaxLinux, that's good to know. Looks like I might be going with @Marty Backe recommendation and replacing the board. I'll wait to see what my dealer does first. He reached out to Gotway so hopefully I'll hear something soon. 

Definitely want this resolved as soon as possible. In the short time I've ridden I feel like my legs have fused with the wheel.

you might as well take out the board and have a look.. save yourself some time if somethings blown on the board it will be very obvious and you will immediately know i need to replace the board.. if water pours out put it on some rice xD the fact that it happened when going over the bump is what makes me think it wasnt water damage..

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

btw, even though 99% of the time you can ride through even heavy rain and have no issues.. a new control board costs a pretty chunk of change and a hassle.. its best if you think its going to rain to carry something like this i have one in my backpack, and one at work.. theyre cheap, easy and 100% effective at rain proofing 

18 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

carry something like this i have one in my backpack, and one at work.. theyre cheap, easy and 100% effective at rain proofing 

Definitely I want one of these if it's large enough for an 18 inch wheel. However, it might not be 100% effective at rain proofing because I think water can still splash inside where the wheel spins.

2 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

@Rywokast I have often wished for something like this, but I could never think of how to search for it. Do you think this is big enough for an 18-inch wheel?

just search nylon backpack cover or something like that.. usually medium for 16" and smaller wheels and large 50-60L for 18"+ it also depends on which wheel for example the MSX id probably go medium because not much of the wheel is covered maybe even a small in that case but for something like the 18 xl a large.. good thing about amazon you can buy one of each size and free return on the one that doesnt fit :P

1 minute ago, MaxLinux said:

Definitely I want one of these if it's large enough for an 18 inch wheel. However, it might not be 100% effective at rain proofing because I think water can still splash inside where the wheel spins.

oh water can for sure splash inside, but that doesnt matter at all thats just the internal shell which is effectively seals off the battery and board there is no access to either of those on any EUC im aware of.. doesnt matter if the motor gets wet its sealed off and if youre super paranoid you can use some silicone on the motor cable (a lot of new EUCs do this) if you dont ever want a single drop of water getting inside xD but even if it does, thats generally lower than the battery and board

7 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

just search nylon backpack cover or something like that

Using a backpack cover as a EUC cover is a great idea! I was unaware of backpack covers until reading your post. Thanks for the helpful tip!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Using a backpack cover as a EUC cover is a great idea! I was unaware of backpack covers until reading your post. Thanks for the helpful tip!

np, as far as im concerned unless youre literally dunking it in water you should only need to be concerned about water going ↓ splashes, puddles etc are of no consequence unless youre on an euc with the control board way down low on the side and wade through water past your feet :P