California - Mt Wilson Ride - Sun 21Jul2019

Time for the first ascent of Mt Wilson for 2019. Our last ride up this epic trail was last September.

Come join myself and @Dzlchef as we ride our Nikolas to the top to enjoy a nice lunch at the Cosmic Cafe. It's a ~8-mile and 4000ft journey.

There will be two return options for you. If you have a 1000wh wheels (V10F, Tesla, KS18L, etc) you'll have zero difficulty doing the climb and joining us for lunch. But the return trip will be going down the same trail, where your batteries will get a substantial recharge. If you have a 1600wh wheel, then you can join us as we ride Hwy 2 down the mountain. I've done both and either one is fun. But today I want to do the road :) 

Park and meet here after 8:30am Sunday morning so that we can depart no later than 9am. Bring sunscreen and water as there is a lot of exposed (sunny) and hot sections of trail. Expect to be having fun for ~5-hours.

Hope you can join us :thumbup:

@enigma35 @HeavyGoing @Marvin Ong @Mushuukyou @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel @Questor @Roll Model @Mike Hanna @Jon Sawa @serfy @swvision @Kimosabi @zentype @ndmcc @Mimir @Josh Morgan

@Shawn Johnson @IRK @MikeV @Peter Q @Sketch @captainwells @NBC44 @Stan Onymous @Gizmo Dork @Alsayyad @Chairman S @who_the @Dave Frear  @roghaj @downtown @Yunicyle @Terenig @Dave U @Flying W @Heyzeus @NightRider @Mike Hanna @Klin @3euc @Unosolo @Williepimpin @Heyzeus @JomMas  @BlackOutEX @Freewheeler @TomM @tihoa @Ferreal@Austin @Ben Richards

@noisycarlos @Tanabe @Dzlchef @Ando Melkonyan @YoshiSkySun @n2eus @maltocs @1Wheeler @Rama Douglas @Nick McCutcheon @mark chanya @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

• Like 1

I won't type out what my wife said today about another mountain ride with Marty because I'm a gentleman but I've been cleared to ride. :D

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I won't type out what my wife said today about another mountain ride with Marty because I'm a gentleman but I've been cleared to ride. :D

:D

Unfortunately you're going to have to tell her that once again, there is no cell phone coverage on this ride. I hope she's not the suspicious type :P

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

:D

Unfortunately you're going to have to tell her that once again, there is no cell phone coverage on this ride. I hope she's not the suspicious type :P

No, she's not, just worried for my safety. I told her that I'd bring a battery pack, we didn't discuss cell coverage. Think I'll leave that alone. 

Edited by Dzlchef
  • Like 3

A day late and a dollar short. Story of my life. But this is actually good news as a day late means I won't make this ride because my NIKOLA PLUS 100V/1845AH has a fedex tracking number that shows delivery of Monday the next day. YAY! Definitely coming with you all next time.

Edited by maltocs
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, maltocs said:

A day late and a dollar short. Story of my life. But this is actually good news as a day late means I won't make this ride because my NIKOLA PLUS 100V/1845AH has a fedex tracking number that shows delivery of Monday the next day. YAY! Definitely coming with you all next time.

Yeah, for a guy who's retired, you never have the time :P

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, for a guy who's retired, you never have the time :P

i'm always vacationing! I've had a change of heart and will show up with Brandon for the first part of the ride. I will take the MCM5. I won't make it to the top with only 800WH, but it's okay, we'll just turn around at some point and head back down the hill when I run low on battery. One option for me to make it to the top is TRADE with brandon halfway. I don't know if the MTen3 will carry me up there, i'm afraid it might burn out. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, maltocs said:

i'm always vacationing! I've had a change of heart and will show up with Brandon for the first part of the ride. I will take the MCM5. I won't make it to the top with only 800WH, but it's okay, we'll just turn around at some point and head back down the hill when I run low on battery. One option for me to make it to the top is TRADE with brandon halfway. I don't know if the MTen3 will carry me up there, i'm afraid it might burn out. 

If it would sweeten the pot, I can loan you a wheel. You could take my Tesla and Brandon can ride the MCM5. Both of you could easily make it all the way up for lunch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That would sweeten the pot! Tesla please! Brandon will be showing up in the Mten3 regardless. He likes the MCM5 only when he can sit as his feet are way wide and very tiring if he is forced to stand. Hard to sit on that trail.  

• Like 2

So any of you 1000wh folks (@Dave U, etc), come along because you'll have company on the way down. @maltocs has ridden this trail before so he can guide you if there's any doubt.

38 minutes ago, maltocs said:

That would sweeten the pot! Tesla please! Brandon will be showing up in the Mten3 regardless. He likes the MCM5 only when he can sit as his feet are way wide and very tiring if he is forced to stand. Hard to sit on that trail.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So any of you 1000wh folks (@Dave U, etc), come along because you'll have company on the way down. @maltocs has ridden this trail before so he can guide you if there's any doubt.

WOW, Thats a BIG WOW!:thumbup: Yes I'm in now knowing  @maltocs and Brandon are in. I never been on this trail before so its nice to know I'll be with good company on the way down as well.

Marty - Side Note , Brian and I are going to Griffith Park tomorrow morning at 9:00 am to see if he could hang on the trails. I want to show him the Bat Cave and the Hollywood Sign, if he does good, would his KS16S  handle MT Wilson with his 110 lbs weight? I know Brandon and Brian will have a blast hanging out!

Edited by Dave U
additional wording
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave U said:

WOW, Thats a BIG WOW!:thumbup: Yes I'm in now knowing  @maltocs and Brandon are in. I never been on this trail before so its nice to know I'll be with good company on the way down as well.

Marty - Side Note , Brian and I are going to Griffith Park tomorrow morning at 9:00 am to see if he could hang on the trails. I want to show him the Bat Cave and the Hollywood Sign, if he does good, would his KS16S  handle MT Wilson with his 110 lbs weight? I know Brandon and Brian will have a blast hanging out!

we're definitely in. Hopefully, we can make it to the top with the MTen3 512WH carrying Brandon's 52lbs up the mountain. Hopefully we will be done by 3p as believe it or not, we have a playdate at 330p. He does better than me. Today we did some roads and mountains with a full charge on the MCM5 800WH me and MTen3 512WH Brandon and ended up me 50% and Brandon 80% battery. Doing some ballpark math, I think that's enough to get him up to the top. Heck, it's probably enough to have him come down the mountain road! I'm guessing 110lbs with an 840WH wheel he will definitely make it. I guess we'll find out Sunday.

Mt Wilson isn't a difficult ride, it's just long. There are a couple of parts that are rocky and loose and probably need walking. As dry as it's been, any mini water gorges perpendicular to the trail should be gone by now. 

3 hours ago, Dave U said:

Yes. I witnessed a more typical guy get to within a mile of the top on an old 800wh ACM. So I'm 'almost positive' that he would make it without difficulties.  Check the weather and bring plenty of water just in case.

2 hours ago, Kens said:

o.jpg

They got ice cream up there.. I'm in :ph34r:

Sorry, I don't recall the menu, but there's a wide selection of cafe type food. However, if you're looking for that picture, you probably shouldn't come ;)

14 hours ago, Dave U said:

I’m cruising through Griffith on my way to work this morning, maybe I’ll see you there? By 9am, I should be in the heart of it just let me know where you’re parking.  If not, look forward to seeing you both tomorrow.

@Dave U link to my ride to work this morning with our brief encounter at the park.   This was the most strenuous hill test to date for me on the Nikola.   Mile 18-19 included massive hills that I took at a good clip, board temp hit a quick peak of 50 degrees Celsius.   The new MOSFETs must be doing their job!

https://euc.world/tour/576982037519215

Edited by Dzlchef
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I’m cruising through Griffith on my way to work this morning, maybe I’ll see you there? By 9am, I should be in the heart of it just let me know where you’re parking.  If not, look forward to seeing you both tomorrow.

@Dave U link to my ride to work this morning with our brief encounter at the park.   This was the most strenuous hill test to date for me on the Nikola.   Mile 18-19 included massive hills that I took at a good clip, board temp hit a quick peak of 50 degrees Celsius.   The new MOSFETs must be doing their job!

https://euc.world/tour/576982037519215

Looks like it did great! Thanks for letting me ride your wheel, now I'm getting that feeling I don't like :eff006f726:. When you are waiting for something to arrive but its still 6 weeks away (my Nikola). :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave U said:

@Marty Backe Do we need to purchase a street/off the highway parking pass/permit for tomorrows ride?

I'm not sure what that is. The Google Pin location is just a residential street where you can park. Pull up the Street View to see what it looks like :)

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm not sure what that is. The Google Pin location is just a residential street where you can park. Pull up the Street View to see what it looks like :)

See everyone tomorrow.:thumbup:

• Like 2

Just watched a YouTube video said Jeff's MSX smoked, is it happened in this ride yesterday?Did he carry the wheel all the way down six miles?

PQ

https://youtu.be/0h_Zg_FoREI

Edited by Peter Q
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Q said:

Just watched a YouTube video said Jeff's MSX smoked, is it happened in this ride yesterday?Did he carry the wheel all the way down six miles?

PQ

We looked for him the whole way down, and when we got there, his car was already gone. I'm pretty sure he carried it all the way down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Q said:

PQ

25 minutes ago, maltocs said:

We looked for him the whole way down, and when we got there, his car was already gone. I'm pretty sure he carried it all the way down.

Yes, I've talked to Jeff and and written about it various places. He brought the wheel down by himself. It was an ordeal and not something he wants to repeat.