16x or 18xl

ray rokni

wanting to upgrade in the next couple months from nb s1 to either ks 16x or ks 18xl. new to euc world.

so battery and motor being the same which wheel would be more fitting for someone if 5’10 165lb, no commuting, no off roading as main part of it, using it for fun, riding around 20 miles round trips maybe little longer. like it to be nimble and responsive yet somewhat forgiving.

any input is appreciated

thx

I haven't ridden the 16X, but I do go the KS18XL. For longer rides the bigger wheels are usually best suited. For high speed going uphill the smaller wheels are usually best. If you have the chance I would highly recommend that you try them both and then make a decision.

Edited by hwoccurrence
  • Like 1

It isn't the same motor... The 18XL has a 2000W motor, but the 16X has a 2200W version.

With a smaller diameter and more power available the 16X should come with a huge amount of torque.

The wider tyre may reduce some of the agility (compared to the 18XL). But then that may be negated due to the wheel being lighter too.

Just get both... It's the obvious answer!   :D

• Like 1

its easy since they are around the same size and weight all you have to decide is do you want more torque and slightly more agility get the 16X, do you want less torque but more comfortable cruising get the 18 XL.. motor difference will be negligible 2000W nominal is way more than enough even if youre >200 lbs.. and they are very different looking so looks do play a large role, personally i think the 16X is butt ugly and the 18 XL is beautiful.. personal preference. just curious as to why these two very expensive wheels if youre looking for something nimble and responsive for 20 mile trips.. both of these are extreme overkill for that, and basically some of the relatively least nimble EUCs available lol, i can think of maybe 4 that would be less so, but something like a 16s is extremely comfortable, very nimble and light weight, and could eeeeeeeasily do 20 mile trips.. maybe a v10f, or MCM5, maybe you like to go very fast then you could get a tesla or something for a hell of a lot cheaper.. just wondering is all not discouraging getting something thats above and beyond what you need its always better to have it and not need it than the opposite if you can afford it.. if you want the 16X btw i would very much recommend against the first wave, there are almost always some kinks to be worked out

Edited by Rywokast
  • Upvote 1

On 7/20/2019 at 2:04 AM, Rywokast said:

its easy since they are around the same size and weight all you have to decide is do you want more torque and slightly more agility get the 16X, do you want less torque but more comfortable cruising get the 18 XL.. motor difference will be negligible 2000W nominal is way more than enough even if youre >200 lbs.. and they are very different looking so looks do play a large role, personally i think the 16X is butt ugly and the 18 XL is beautiful.. personal preference. just curious as to why these two very expensive wheels if youre looking for something nimble and responsive for 20 mile trips.. both of these are extreme overkill for that, and basically some of the relatively least nimble EUCs available lol, i can think of maybe 4 that would be less so, but something like a 16s is extremely comfortable, very nimble and light weight, and could eeeeeeeasily do 20 mile trips.. maybe a v10f, or MCM5, maybe you like to go very fast then you could get a tesla or something for a hell of a lot cheaper.. just wondering is all not discouraging getting something thats above and beyond what you need its always better to have it and not need it than the opposite if you can afford it.. if you want the 16X btw i would very much recommend against the first wave, there are almost always some kinks to be worked out

agree with everything you said. im new ti this hobby. my reasoning is that i don't want to buy something and have to upgrade again. rather spend more and get something that could possibly last me a good while. having said that, i have been looking at the v10f. ive been scared away from gotways with all the problem i hear about the nikola. some early teslas catching fire etc. to be honest i am not even good enough on the s1 yet. ive been told that learning on s1 is more difficult than some of the bigger wheels. suppose ive been reading way too much and confusing myself!!!

56 minutes ago, ray rokni said:

agree with everything you said. im new ti this hobby. my reasoning is that i don't want to buy something and have to upgrade again. rather spend more and get something that could possibly last me a good while. having said that, i have been looking at the v10f. ive been scared away from gotways with all the problem i hear about the nikola. some early teslas catching fire etc. to be honest i am not even good enough on the s1 yet. ive been told that learning on s1 is more difficult than some of the bigger wheels. suppose ive been reading way too much and confusing myself!!!

s1 is a piece of junk that youd give a twelve year old to play on in the driveway lol, its not worth comparing to anything and yes a 14" wheel is generally a bit more difficult to learn on, especially one as weak as the S1.. v10f is good but not for the money, for the cost of it you can get better.. dont be scared away from gotways besides a snafu with a couple first batches they do not have a higher failure rate than other EUCs, nobody tells you when their EUC doesnt catch fire lmao.. speaking of catching fire it has happened to multiple KS18Ls and a KS16S that i know of, not to mention a plethora of other manufacture defects... the reason you hear bad stuff about gotways more is because their audience is generally the more reckless type of people, they like to go fast and take risks more than those who ride king songs or inmotion.. im generalizing of course but you get the idea.. if your main use scenario is what you said in the OP anything above a 16S is total overkill.. of course its best to get the best lol but its a lot of money to plop down on something that may never get used to its potential.. failure rate is so ridiculously low that you shouldnt consider it when looking to buy imo, just look at the specs and weigh out the battery power, weight, and ease of use for something that would suit your needs. either of the EUCs you mentioned you would not regret, all im saying is why get something thats twice the price, twice the weight, and 3x as powerful as you would ever need. regardless of what you get it will be a tremendous upgrade haha

• Like 3

On 7/22/2019 at 2:45 AM, ray rokni said:

I am also new to EUC. I bought a very cheap training wheel and ended up buying the KS18XL a couple of weeks later. Have been riding for a couple of months now and I am totally addicted.

Do you have fun riding your current wheel? If not then maybe you should reconsider buying a second one. There are other PEV that is also a lot of fun to ride.

• Like 1

thank you all for your thoughts. to make my decision  more difficult now i’ve added a third wheel to my choices: the 84v nikola with the new board and mosfets!

ive sent the money to jason at ewheels, who btw has been great answering all my questions. just need to make up my mind.

i know i said i wont be off-roading but since i was told to practice on uneven surface for better balance practice, i’ve actually become hooked on that!

im not one to have different wheels in my arsenal, i like to have one and use the hell out of it and then buy a newer technology down the road to upgrade!.

this why im stuck between the newer technology 16x and nikola vs the 18xl

The handle on the Nikola is pretty cheap feeling.  The 100v wheels will decrease your total range as the battery packs hold less.  If you plan on riding at 100v speeds, you need to be fully armored in motorcycle safety gear.  A fall at those speeds is awful.  Ive put 500 miles on the 18XL in the last month and I have ZERO complaints about it.  It's the best most refined wheel i've ever ridden.  You won't be disappointed in the 18xl.  Its a monster.  Jason has the 18XL in stock and could probably ship it out immediately.  get that on.

16X units will be in people's hands next week with tons of reviews and videos I'm sure.. if you're torn you might as well wait until next week and see the reviews

You know that Nikola still has major problems? Even with the new boards. If you want a Gotway wheel and want to do offroad, you can't really go wrong with the 84v MSX. By far the Gotway wheel with the least problems.

42 minutes ago, Preston Palmer said:

The 100v wheels will decrease your total range as the battery packs hold less.

Not for the Nikola. 84V is 1600Wh and 100V is 1845Wh (no longer 1230!). (There's also a 84V 2100Wh.)

2 minutes ago, hwoccurrence said:

You know that Nikola still has major problems?

There seems to be a problem with the fan control, which is why they are in the process of shipping new boards that will replace the "new" replacement boards before the Nikolas even get into customers hands.

I wouldn't know of any other problem, let alone a major one.

Any Nikola ordered now will be good!