Any way to extend the battery of v10F

Ryzernator

Me and my girlfriend love riding together through the streets of Santa Monica here in LA, I'm usually on a scooter most of the time and she's usually on her v10F. When it comes to range we find that the v10F dies within like 40 miles. Is there any way, shape, or form we can extend her milage? and YES we ride alottt haha, blessed to have some long range bike paths here in california. :)  Many thanks. 

the only way that you can extend range is ride slower or be lighter lol.. things that affect range are incline, wind resistance (another reason why going slower is better for battery), ambient temperature, and rider weight... so really the only thing in your power would be to go slower as obviously everything else is out of your control

Edited by Rywokast

On 7/18/2019 at 3:57 AM, Ryzernator said:

Me and my girlfriend love riding together through the streets of Santa Monica here in LA, I'm usually on a scooter most of the time and she's usually on her v10F. When it comes to range we find that the v10F dies within like 40 miles. Is there any way, shape, or form we can extend her milage? and YES we ride alottt haha, blessed to have some long range bike paths here in california. :)  Many thanks. 

Maybe changing from “sports mode /hard (if your setting is in that) to soft/comfort?

kingsong has this feature, I suspect that inmotion also has it.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, Ryzernator said:

Hi - 

Surprised I haven't seen you - I'm on my V10F on the bike paths and streets of Santa Monica and Westwood all the time! :)

Here's what I've learned:  The more you push the V10F speed wise, the more you sap from the battery.  I began a 10 mile ride a couple of days ago at 100% and finished at 65%.  That's because I was really pushing the wheel almost the entire trip.

The good news is that once the wheel cooled down I restarted it and the battery level was back up to 79%.  This shows that while riding the battery level displayed isn't really a good indicator of what remains in the "tank;" it's more about how you're riding and sapping the power.  **Yes, I know this isn't your question but others may read this wondering about power drain. ;)

So to your question.  I suggest you stay at lower speeds and try to limit start/stops.  This may mean orbiting stop lights instead of dismounting/remounting.  Overcoming inertia is a battery drain.  Also little things like riding in the street vs. the sidewalk...in my experience the street is much less of a drain because I don't have to constantly slow down for pedestrians.  The ride can stay more consistent.

I dimly recall Marty saying that the practical range of the V10F was around 45 miles.  Maybe I'm getting that wrong - but the 61 miles that comes up at 100% charge probably isn't attainable.  As mentioned above, heat, wind (often a factor in Santa Monica), body weight + gear and obstacles and any hills you may encounter can affect your miles.

The furthest I've ridden on one ride is about 18 miles.  Again, the battery indicator jumped up by about 10 miles of range once I stopped for a break and restarted my trip.

At any rate, glad to know there's another V10F prowling around.  Great wheel.  Happy and safe rides you guys~!

Edited by LZMutant
Typos

When I rode the IPS Zero I had to tote the charger in my backpack. I'd stop for coffee, lunch whatever and boost it back up every 8 miles or so. :facepalm:

I will do the same thing on my V10F, but only on super long rides. The charge time of 2 hrs to 80% isn't a huge hindrance to me, especially considering I'll be quadrupling (or more) my range over the Zero.

I certainly wish there was an external pack we could tether to the wheel that would extend the range. But, then I'd have to get over the past the uneasy feeling of having explosives strapped to my back. :efee96588e:

Cheers!