G3/V8 Upgrade

gon2fast

I recently saw that InMotion confirmed that there will be a V8 upgrade, but battery capacity will stay the same. What if the external trolley handle is an option? It seems like the upper portions of the case are expanded to accommodate the handle while also keeping a balanced look on each side of the shell. Remove the integrated handle and add additional cells in the newly available free space (on both sides). 

I love my G3, but it needs to do more.

not enough space.. they need to just make it wider, and get rid of those bumps altogether, could easily accommodate an 800 or even 1000 wh.. get rid of the pointless lights that take up most of the room and move the board to the top, put on a v5 trolley instead and there ya go

18 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

not enough space.. they need to just make it wider, and get rid of those bumps altogether, could easily accommodate an 800 or even 1000 wh.. get rid of the pointless lights that take up most of the room and move the board to the top, put on a v5 trolley instead and there ya go

Add a bit wider tire and you have a V10(F).

I think the V8 can be as is because there is always the option of going for V10. The point of V8 is to be very light. It’s good for small commuting, errands and keeping it in the car. Make it heavier and you have an inferior version of a V10. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UniVehje said:

Add a bit wider tire and you have a V10(F).

I think the V8 can be as is because there is always the option of going for V10. The point of V8 is to be very light. It’s good for small commuting, errands and keeping it in the car. Make it heavier and you have an inferior version of a V10. 

yea theres no real point in upgrading it as it brings nothing new.. there already exists exactly that in many forms what they need to do is start working on ways to improve existing things instead of adding on to them.. more powerful motors but without adding weight, more battery while keeping it the same size etc.. one can always go bigger but then that just defeats the purpose

Just get a ks16s.   That’s an upgrade you’ll be happy with from INMOTION.    Dbl the battery 50%more power    It rides like the v8 but on steroids.  I’ll never buy another INMOTION. And I’ll never ever suggest anyone else does either ! 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Just get a ks16s.   That’s an upgrade you’ll be happy with from INMOTION.    Dbl the battery 50%more power    It rides like the v8 but on steroids.  I’ll never buy another INMOTION. And I’ll never ever suggest anyone else does either ! 

Does the ks16s support 2.5inch tires?

The vendor already stated that they are not addressing the requests for more battery capacity so I am going to try and find a 2.5/ 2.75 tire for my G3 (already has the wider V8 tire, but the sidewall is giving under my weight). I am not going to address this until my 16X arrives and my V10 becomes my back up. Then the G3 becomes expendable (a tire mod shouldn't kill it... knock on wood).

BTW - I have ridden a 16S and was not a fan. Not a bad wheel performance-wise, but did not feel/sound right for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2019 at 8:04 AM, Rywokast said:

they need to just make it wider

That would undo one of the big unique selling points of the V8. To me, wheel width and weight are important.

9 hours ago, Mono said:

That would undo one of the big unique selling points of the V8. To me, wheel width and weight are important.

tis true that's why I have multiple unicycle you can't be good at everything lol

A new V8 with light parts, medium sized battery and 2.5inch tire, 35-40km/h max speed, would be very nice. Tubeless would be icing on the cake.

I carry my V8 up stairs every day. I could buy another wheel but there is _nothing_ that rivals a V8 for city riding, even to this day. 

Under 14kg 30km/h 16inch, functional trolley handle that completely relaxes your arm, narrow body width, quick lift disable, front light, doesn't die in rain.

I say make it 100V instead of making the motor heavier to increase power. With more voltage all the coils and cables remain light.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jbc247 said:

What dealers are offering these substantial discounts? Sounds like a good opportunity for a beginner (like myself) to pick up a wheel. 

I think the inmotion usa site, but i have never once seen any refurbished units in stock on that page: https://www.myinmotion.com/pages/refurbished

It would be nice if there was a "V8F" with a 3P battery, say 640-720 Wh. (Or even such an upgraded battery pack for sale) It would be a noticeable boost in range, and the 3P might provide just enough reserve power to avoid some of those cutouts some heavier or more aggressive V8 riders seem to experience.  

58 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

It would be nice if there was a "V8F" with a 3P battery, say 640-720 Wh. (Or even such an upgraded battery pack for sale)

One could make a "V8F" by going to 3500mAh cells instead of the 3200mAh cells they use a highest capacity cells. That would mean 520Wh instead of 480Wh. If I'm not mistaken, that's also how the V5F+ happened.

This is the kind of improvement I expect. No new shell shape, new battery construction, or anything that costs money. Just replacing some parts with better ones while the rest stays identical. A battery upgrade like this (or even just the same capacity like the V8), a bit stronger motor (let's say 1200W like the 16S or even 1500W), and a new board (probably just the one from the V10), maybe a brighter headlight.

IM are still the only ones offering <1000$ wheels besides the KS14M/14D (I wouldn't count the mten3 as competition to that). They probably want to keep that niche. That's why I'm not expecting them to overdo it with the upgrade and get too close to the V10.