MSX 84V mosfet blown. Options?

mrelwood

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:shock2:

I've never understood the exact sequence that causes this to happen to some people. I've never experienced anything but the smallest of sparks.

Never say never...i have even seen that sparks when people UNplug their batterycables.

It shouldnt...but when the batterypacks have different resistance and/or voltage, and dont run exactly same...or the capacitor is empty...it just might happen. 

And seeing what energy sits behind these packs, i always get frightened seeing „bad build“ custom packs and people fiddling arounf with the batterys.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, US69 said:

Never say never...i have even seen that sparks when people UNplug their batterycables.

It shouldnt...but when the batterypacks have different resistance and/or voltage, and dont run exactly same...or the capacitor is empty...it just might happen. 

And seeing what energy sits behind these packs, i always get frightened seeing „bad build“ custom packs and people fiddling arounf with the batterys.....

But this is the connector that goes to the control board so it can't have anything to do with battery packs at different voltages. And the capacitors are always empty on my wheels because I discharge the capacitors before working on the wheel.

I guess I'll just have to wait for it to happen to me :wacko:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I've never understood the exact sequence that causes this to happen to some people. I've never experienced anything but the smallest of sparks.

In this case I think it probably has to do with him having just changed a MOSFET. If I understand the board circuitry correctly, the MOSFET is tapped directly into (and controls) the battery pack voltage going to the motor and is simply signaled/controlled by the rest of the control logic. If that's the case, then if it was damaged internally in a specific way it might have caused a direct short back to the battery through the motor, which means when he connected the last terminal of the power connector (XT150s come in 2 parts I believe...) it closed a short circuit, and these huge batteries of ours can be friggin' MEAN when there is a good short...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Marty Backe said:

But this is the connector that goes to the control board so it can't have anything to do with battery packs at different voltages. And the capacitors are always empty on my wheels because I discharge the capacitors before working on the wheel.

I guess I'll just have to wait for it to happen to me :wacko:

I totally understand you....to me it also never happen...but i really have even seen that Unpluging sparks on video, so i just dont get it!

So press thumbs we stay on the lucky side :-) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The mosfet was in short circuit after replacing them...

Certainly that it wasn't that out-of-service mosfet when they burned

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hansolo said:

The mosfet was in short circuit after replacing them...

Certainly that it wasn't that out-of-service mosfet when they burned

OK, now I understand :)

Did you repair your V3?

Sparks are caused by charging capacitors, or if wheel have 2 battery packs differences in voltage, there is no other option that makes sparks on working wheel.

I seen this motherboard only on pictures from internet can you take some photos.

There is chance that you have mosfet driver burned and or MCU, if that happend Laboratory PSU will be helpfull.

22 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

My meter was set to measure current. 

My colleague do the same thing and one probe from multimeter just gone.

13 hours ago, evil696 said:

Did you repair your V3?

If you are asking me, it’s the MSX, and I have a new board on the way. Should be here next week.

Sparks are caused by charging capacitors, or if wheel have 2 battery packs differences in voltage, there is no other option that makes sparks on working wheel.

I am especially prudent in reaching the same voltage if I connect two packs of batteries. I only connect and recharge the wheel with one pack if the pack is lower in voltage.

I seen this motherboard only on pictures from internet can you take some photos.

Will do.

There is chance that you have mosfet driver burned and or MCU, if that happend Laboratory PSU will be helpfull.

Unfortunately I don’t have a PSU that I could borrow.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Unfortunately I don’t have a PSU that I could borrow.

If you need a reliable low voltage lab PSU in the future (for guitar pedals or whatever), look no further than HP6632 (A or B), which are relatively easy to find as second-hand, this is a serious industrial-grade 100W programmable linear lab rack PSU from the 80's/90's (production discontinued in 2017) with proven track record. East Trade Promotion sells such for example (not sure if they have any in stock right now, but there have been plenty in the past), I bought mine from them through huuto.net:

http://sivut.klikkaa.fi/eastrp.fi/webshop/product_details.php?p=45

https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-838596-pn-6632B/100-watt-system-power-supply-20v-5a?&cc=FI&lc=fin  (The reason the specs are  in Keysight-website is that HP instrument-division first became part of Agilent and then Keysight)

Output Ratings

• Output voltage: 0 to 20 V
  • Output current: 0 to 5 A

Programming Accuracy at 25°C ± 5°C

• Voltage: 10 mV
  • + Current: 0.05% + 2 mA

Ripple & Noise (20 Hz to 20 MHz)

• Voltage Normal Mode rms: 0.3 mV
  • Voltage Normal Mode peak-to-peak: 3 mV
  • Fast mode rms/ peak-to-peak: 1 mV/ 10 mV
  • Current rms: 2 m

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hp-6632a-20v-5amps-programmable-psu/

"They are super precise , and can sink & source current.
The meters are/were the most accurate i had when i bought them."

Mine was off by about 4mV (0.004V) higher up in the voltage, that's about it. Hasn't been calibrated in 10+ years.

In a pinch, it'll work also as a load up to 20V/5A, although at least on mine the down-programmer has an issue where the sinked current will be about 250mA higher than what's programmed, guess it's an general issue (it's not like it was meant to be used as such ;)): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-6632-current-sinking-performance/

Not that big of an investment money-wise (I think I paid 120€ for mine with rack-ears, including shipping), the size might be an issue (2U rack-unit), plus it weighs 10+kg.

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Hansolo said:

On my MSX, I put an XT90 connector anti spark, it's magic no spark

I did the same thing on my old ACM. 

• Like 1

New board arrived. Powered on, 2 seconds of relief and bliss, and the wheel kicked and started a violent rodeo while beeping an error code. So I started disassembling the motor itself, which revealed that the motor cables were melted and shorting inside the axle as well.

I will next replace the motor leads all the way from the coils. I was going to go with PTFE cable, but the local availability is not as good as I had hoped.

Local regular cable is rated up to 150•C, while PTFE would be 200•C. Am I being overly conservative with the PTFE, or would a regular suffice, since regular solder melts already at around 180-190•C?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

New board arrived. Powered on, 2 seconds of relief and bliss, and the wheel kicked and started a violent rodeo while beeping an error code. So I started disassembling the motor itself, which revealed that the motor cables were melted and shorting inside the axle as well.

I will next replace the motor leads all the way from the coils. I was going to go with PTFE cable, but the local availability is not as good as I had hoped.

Local regular cable is rated up to 150•C, while PTFE would be 200•C. Am I being overly conservative with the PTFE, or would a regular suffice, since regular solder melts already at around 180-190•C?

Wow, you really did a job on that wheel ;)

Did you carefully inspect the hall sensor wires. Hopefully none of the insulation on those wires melted.

• Like 1

Bad luck, but when you get new motherboard you dont do anything else that replace. So there is no other option that something else is burned.

If wheel starts to do something like this i think that could be hall sensors broken it could happend when Mosfet burns->Mosfet driver -> MCU-> hall sensor.

if you change wires first check resistance on hall sensors.

Today or tommorow i will replace hall sensors in V5F, there is 3 hall sensors SS41F i will try to replace all of them.

:eff00eab1e::eff00eab1e::eff00eab1e: Before you connect battery just check shotcuts on hall sensors if anything will be shortcuted dont connect battery. If you would live closer i will help you.

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

One of the hall sensor wires has damage to the insulation in two spots, so I will be replacing at least one of those as well.

Regarding the main motor wires, I learned after my last post that the originals must have been PTFE as well. So regular was out of question. I bought silicone shielded wire that’s rated to 260•C, and glass fiber shielding to improve the durability of the silicone shielding.

Will replace the wires later today. If it still doesn’t work, I’m going to wish I’d drink alcohol.

This is the pinnacle of EUC repair, so hats off to your nonchalant attitude of tackling all the repairs :cheers:

Me? I would bought a new motor at this point :)  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

I know I’m in a minority with my attitude to fix everything and passable repair skills regarding electronics. If there was a shop next door with MSX motors for a few hundred bills, I’d have been hard pressed to buy one as well. But while the 16S is now a decent ride (after the second battery repair), I want the MSX up and running as soon as in any way possible.

I replaced all hall sensor wires, no point in mixing new and old.

That's the spirit, nice to see some sisu in action!

• Like 1