First Electric Scooter fatality in UK

Asphalt

I looked up a bit for more details, other than it happened in one of those circle like loops that cars enter and exit once they reach their roundabout exit. Sounds like a deathtrap for a pev imho, would hate to think she rode into it for a selfie vlog.   Somewhat disturbed that most of the articles paint it like her "scooter" initiated the crash into a truck. Nothing whether she was even wearing protective gear, but then again it was basically a meat popsicle vs. 3 ton vehicle.  

On 7/14/2019 at 10:05 AM, Asphalt said:

Be prepared for some knee-jerk reaction laws created around PEVs in the UK.

I think the most will happen is verbal warning etc for the time being.  

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately this wont be the first death, infact I think a second died too and a third seriously injured now! The death rate will certainly increase as more devices illegally ride on the public roads. We cant escape the fact that these are illegal transporters on uk public roads, the uk law does not permit it, or deem it safe to do so. I really dont know what the answer is, but cars and scooters do not mix, cant see these being legalised anytime soon, especially not based in recent tragic events. So sad for the families and all involved.

19 minutes ago, AlexEssex said:

The death rate will certainly increase as more devices illegally ride on the public roads. We cant escape the fact that these are illegal transporters on uk public roads

Hence people get killed.

So they pass a law making them legal and all of the sudden people do not get killed? In Belgium those exact same devices are legal and can be ridden on the road. So all of the sudden they are safer now?

And bicycling is not dangerous?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexEssex said:

This is why the UK law is a joke, ebikes that go 15.5mph ARE legally allowed on UK roads!! It just doesn't make sense! UK law needs a major overhaul on many areas!

And you can take any normal bike to > 20mph, without a motor.

• Like 1

the laws in 99% of the world are ridiculously outdated.. cars and scooters certainly do mix, since cars and bicycles mix, same with cars and eucs.. what they need to do is pull their heads out of their ass and get with the times.. make safer cycling lanes everywhere and encourage people to stop using gas powered vehicles, they will spew on about how they care for the environment and then ban or seriously cripple all vehicles that are not gas powered lol.. idiotic.. same with helmet laws, that's been proven many times to discourage people from riding bicycles, let adults make their own decisions ffs we don't need to be babied.. at least here they got rid of that ridiculous thing and put in new bicycle lanes in a lot of places.. luckily the mayor here is an advocate of not driving a car

Edited by Rywokast
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

same with helmet laws, that's been proven many times to discourage people from riding bicycles, let adults make their own decisions ffs we don't need to be babied.

Actually car drivers have big risks wrt head injuries. So why not mandate helmets in cars?

8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Actually car drivers have big risks wrt head injuries. So why not mandate helmets in cars?

because people would be in uproar and refuse or protest, thats not good for big oil companies who have lawmakers in their pockets and want as many people in cars as possible lol

8 hours ago, AlexEssex said:

But they dont mix well, especially not here in London, seen some near misses where I live, and lets just say its was there lucky day!

ive had too many near misses to count.. the problem is not with mixing them, the problem is with the car centric infrastructure and lack of dedicated bike paths.. at least for me any time ive had a close call with a car was when i was on the actual road, no bike lane to speak of just on the road, or forced to go on the sidewalk and acting as a pedestrian which to be fair would have had the same close calls with cars if i was walking since it was idiot drivers not looking where they were going almost crashing right into me turning at a crosswalk.. people suck at driving you can get hit by a car walking, biking, scooter, euc whatever the risk difference is if you are on the road which could be mitigated almost entirely if there was separate cycling lanes put into place but noooooo they want every man woman and child in a gas guzzling car crowding up every street and highway instead