Gotway MCM5 review / wheelog šŸ”„

chrisjunlee

== Day 7Ā - Tues, 7/16/2019Ā ==

MetĀ @greentung, and what a swell guy. Gave me a nice sheet of adhesive neoprene to pad up the MCM5! And I got to try out his Ninebot Z10!

Displaying 20190716_231705.jpgĀ 

There's a wise saying of measure twice, cut once -Ā well, I skipped the first part and just went about cutting.

Folks like @greentungĀ make this community amazing. Please shower him with internet points andĀ šŸ’–

MCM5 odometer: 171 miles

Edited by chrisjunlee

== Day 12 - Sun, 7/22/2019Ā ==

Was up at Greenlake doing laps late last night to hit 300 miles. And just when I was finally feeling the groove, had a pretty bad encounter. Group of 4 guys, 2 girls, walking counterclockwise. Me doing laps clockwise.

First two laps I pass them, they're taunting me. I ignore them. One guy in particular, is in the right lane (bikes only lane). You see where this is going.

Third lap, I slow down to pass as usual, and the lane blocking dude, reaches out and pushes me off path. I wobble off, and the wheel does the spin cycle tumble.

The verbal exchange that follows on their end:Ā 

• "you have no control over your machine"
  • "who tf rides a solowheel at night? you should be riding that solowheel during the day (he knows what solowheels are, interesting)"

From my previous incident, I knew that calling the police would be useless. Especially in a 6 vs 1, they could make up whatever story and I would be completely in the wrong.

My patience is wearing thin with these bullies seeing me as an easy target. There has to be some repercussion I can deal out to them to make re-consider their actions. Otherwise, them getting away is just reinforcing their behavior.Ā 

On a positive note, yay for 300+ miles on the MCM5 in 12 days.

Displaying Screenshot_20190722-001647_WheelLog.jpg

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 12 - Sun, 7/22/2019Ā ==

Was up at Greenlake doing laps late last night to hit 300 miles. And just when I was finally feeling the groove, had a pretty bad encounter. Group of 4 guys, 2 girls, walking counterclockwise. Me doing laps clockwise.

First two laps I pass them, they're taunting me. I ignore them. One guy in particular, is in the right lane (bikes only lane). You see where this is going.

Third lap, I slow down to pass as usual, and the lane blocking dude, reaches out and pushes me off path. I wobble off, and the wheel does the spin cycle tumble.

The verbal exchange that follows on their end:Ā 

• "you have no control over your machine"
  • "who tf rides a solowheel at night? you should be riding that solowheel during the day (he knows what solowheels are, interesting)"

From my previous incident, I knew that calling the police would be useless. Especially in a 6 vs 1, they could make up whatever story and I would be completely in the wrong.

My patience is wearing thin with these bullies seeing me as an easy target. There has to be some repercussion I can deal out to them to make re-consider their actions. Otherwise, them getting away is just reinforcing their behavior.Ā 

On a positive note, yay for 300+ miles on the MCM5 in 12 days.

Displaying Screenshot_20190722-001647_WheelLog.jpg

Remind me never to visit SeattleĀ :(

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Remind me never to visit SeattleĀ :(

bring a gun.. seriously though what kind of a shitty neighborhood is this?? ive ridden almost every night for the last 2 1/2 years ive never once had an even remotely bad encounter... that sucks i would carry mace in my back pocket if i were you

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, LucasD said:

You have talent to find the wrong people. Or maybe it is your miles per day increasing the chance..

So how do you find mcm5 compared to mten3, after some days riding?

Being a petite person isĀ an easy target. Same thing girls experience when getting harassed - thereā€™s no obvious deterrent for these lizard brain idiots.

Would love to ride with an AR slung over my shoulder, but that would cause more trouble than itā€™s worth.

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

bring a gun.. seriously though what kind of a shitty neighborhood is this?? ive ridden almost every night for the last 2 1/2 years ive never once had an even remotely bad encounter... that sucks i would carry mace in my back pocket if i were you

Itā€™s just your typical American urban environment. You have testosterone fueledĀ idiots that have a penchant for violence. Anyone you bump into afterĀ midnight isnā€™tĀ going to beĀ your typical responsibleĀ adult.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Itā€™s just your typical American urban environment. You have testosterone fueledĀ idiots that have a penchant for violence. Anyone you bump into afterĀ midnight is going to beĀ your typical responsibleĀ adult.

Or muggerĀ :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LucasD said:

Soļ»æ how do you find mcm5 compared to mten3, after some days ridingļ»æ?ļ»æ

The MCM5 is suppose to be the next zippiest wheel after then mten3. I disagree with that notion - theyā€™re in complete different leagues, and you canā€™t describe the MCM5 with that adjective.

The MCM5 is powerfulĀ but in no way is it zippy. And itā€™s because theĀ motors are tuned differently. If you drop the mten3, it spins out of control, doing violent backflips. Whereas theĀ MCM5 has such a built in delay, that the wheel doesnā€™t even spin up when you drop it.Ā 

TheĀ MCM5 is frustratingly clumsy at low speeds compared to the mten3. Thereā€™s something about the geometry that makes pedal scraping too easy. I had a friend whoā€™s coming from a ks14d, and he was shocked at how he couldnā€™t prevent pedal scrapes on myĀ MCM5.

TheĀ mten3 with a 10ā€ wheel can easily u-turnĀ within a 10ā€ diameter circle. You would expect theĀ MCM5 with its 14ā€ tire to u-turn within a 14ā€ diameter circle - nope, itā€™s more like a 42ā€ circle. Again, there is something seriouslyĀ wrong with the geometry, and I believe thatā€™s why people say it feels like a 16ā€Ā wheel.Ā 

There is only one thing this wheel does well: smoothĀ power delivery. If youā€™re intoĀ motorcycles, the mten3 is like the speed triple or any street v-twin, while the MCM5 is like the Honda Goldwing.

Both have their places, but the MCM5 is like a practical minivan compared to the F1 performance of theĀ mten3.

And before anyone rolls their eyes: this is for my weight of 140lbs. For your typical adult male of 180lbs, I donā€™t think would get the same zippy performance out of the mten3.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

The MCM5 is suppose to be the next zippiest wheel after then mten3. I disagree with that notion - theyā€™re in complete different leagues, and you canā€™t describe the MCM5 with that adjective.

The MCM5 is powerfulĀ but in no way is it zippy. And itā€™s because theĀ motors are tuned differently. If you drop the mten3, it spins out of control, doing violent backflips. Whereas theĀ MCM5 has such a built in delay, that the wheel doesnā€™t even spin up when you drop it.Ā 

TheĀ MCM5 is frustratingly clumsy at low speeds compared to the mten3. Thereā€™s something about the geometry that makes pedal scraping too easy. I had a friend whoā€™s coming from a ks14d, and he was shocked at how he couldnā€™t prevent pedal scrapes on myĀ MCM5.

TheĀ mten3 with a 10ā€ wheel can easily u-turnĀ within a 10ā€ diameter circle. You would expect theĀ MCM5 with its 14ā€ tire to u-turn within a 14ā€ diameter circle - nope, itā€™s more like a 42ā€ circle. Again, there is something seriouslyĀ wrong with the geometry, and I believe thatā€™s why people say it feels like a 16ā€Ā wheel.Ā 

There is only one thing this wheel does well: smoothĀ power delivery. If youā€™re intoĀ motorcycles, the mten3 is like the speed triple or any street v-twin, while the MCM5 is like the Honda Goldwing.

Both have their places, but the MCM5 is like a practical minivan compared to the F1 performance of theĀ mten3.

And before anyone rolls their eyes: this is for my weight of 140lbs. For your typical adult male of 180lbs, I donā€™t think would get the same zippy performance out of the mten3.

The MCM5 is the fastest accelerating wheel that you can buy. I really don't see how you can say it's not zippy. After you ride about a dozen wheels you'll realize just how zippy the MCM5 actually is.

I think this is due to your newbie statusĀ :)Ā Of course I agree that nothing beats the Mten3 for tight turns but I wanted to elaborate for other people that might be reading this thread. The MCM5 is a marvelously agile wheel that can turn on a dime.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The MCM5 is the fastest accelerating wheel that you can buy. I really don't see how you can say it's not zippy. After you ride about a dozen wheels you'll realize just how zippy the MCM5 actually is.

I think this is due to your newbie statusĀ :)Ā Of course I agree that nothing beats the Mten3 for tight turns but I wanted to elaborate for other people that might be reading this thread. The MCM5 is a marvelously agile wheel that can turn on a dime.

The mten3 launches me instantly. Itā€™s how the motor and power deliveryĀ is tuned. WheelogĀ shows Iā€™veĀ drawn overĀ 8,000 watts on launches.Ā I think this is also the reason why the wheel corrects so fast - itā€™s not just the mechanical advantages ofĀ smaller wheel. I doubt the longevity of this wheel (mostly battery),Ā with such large discharges.

I agree that the MCM5 is moreĀ powerful,Ā being able to fluidlyĀ accelerate toĀ 20mph. But compared to the mten3, theĀ power delivery seemsĀ conservative, as in, theyā€™ve throttled it for your safety.

Turning the MCM5 requires the width of aĀ sidewalk.Ā Turning the mten3 require half the width of a narrow sidewalk.

Recently I did some test on Mten3, the acceleration from 0 (already balanced)Ā to 33.84km/h took 5.5s on 31 meter strip.

I would say not bad results. Anybody else has some numbers to share?

Ā 

Edited by LucasD

11 minutes ago, LucasD said:

Recently I did some test on Mten3, the acceleration from 0 (already balanced)Ā to 33.8ļ»æ4km/h took 5.5s on 31 meter strip.

I would say not bad results. Anybody else has some numbers to share?

Ā 

How did you go about measuring?Ā 

8 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

The mten3 launches me instantly. Itā€™s how the motor and power deliveryĀ is tuned. WheelogĀ shows Iā€™veĀ drawn overĀ 8,000 watts on launches.Ā I think this is also the reason why the wheel corrects so fast - itā€™s not just the mechanical advantages ofĀ smaller wheel. I doubt the longevity of this wheel (mostly battery),Ā with such large discharges.

I agree that the MCM5 is moreĀ powerful,Ā being able to fluidlyĀ accelerate toĀ 20mph. But compared to the mten3, theĀ power delivery seemsĀ conservative, as in, theyā€™ve throttled it for your safety.

Turning the MCM5 requires the width of aĀ sidewalk.Ā Turning the mten3 require half the width of a narrow sidewalk.

Yes, of course the Mten3 is easier to turn tightly, but I'm pointing out for other people that with experience, the MCM5 certainly does not require the width of a sidewalk to turn.

And the Mten3 has more torque (10-inches vs anything else) but I don't equate that to acceleration in the real world.

But all this is just one persons opinionĀ :)

48 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

I challenge you to a u-turn duel Sir Backe šŸ§

Depends on turn:

1. carving - pure carving is very smooth but I still think radius (not diameter) is about 30cm for mten3. Limited mostly by pedal scrape.Ā 
  2. mixed - start carving finished by sharp rotation, or some mix - e.g. your videos from mten3 (turning without hands)
  3. pure rotation - 180 degree inĀ almost no space, like in below

Regarding tool for analysis acceleration, this kind is excel or whatever else, pretty manual work.

Edited by LucasD
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

How about turning from standstill with no hip twisting (smooth rolling only)? For the mten3, thatā€™s like a 15cm radiusĀ for me

Not very likely, especially that carving turn also require some speed, the same with bike (till 6km/h you turn mostly by turning the handlebars, afterwards by carving).

Most important is if you put your mten3 on side with pedal just not touching surface you will get a radius of about 30cm maybe slightly less. The same goes for skis, e.g. slalom ski has radius of 13m, with very skilled (olympic level)Ā one maybe you can get to 3-6m, yet most people can turn in 1m radius, but it is not carving ;)

Simply you use method #2 mixed of carving and turning (on mten3 is easy due to size).

To check for pure carving try to do small perfect circles run, the smallest, smoothestĀ and consistent you get this is your turning radius...

If you do ellipsis you ar adding the rotation...

Edited by LucasD

On 7/12/2019 at 5:50 PM, houseofjob said:

argh, I don't wanna keep promising this video until it's actually out, so maybe I'll just try to film some preliminary stuff of me riding and talking over it so I have something out there. (I've got a big 16X review edit on my hands currently, bogged down with too many thoughts for it, etc.)

I know a fellow rider friend @chulanderĀ has some stuff he shot of me just for himself,Ā trying to visualize my pointers, and can attest to what I'm talking about (though I'm not sure how often he's on here).

I have to go thru the footage to see what I can find. if anything, the next ride @houseofjob, can you demo againĀ on a straight way? trade you some indomie for the exclusive
Ā 

• Upvote 1

Late to yourĀ post regarding Greenlake incident. I recommend you wear an actionĀ camera. I use a GoPro Hero 7 attached to the front shoulder strap ofĀ my backpack. It records a wide field in front of me.Ā I turn it on when I leave the house to work. We need to get these idiots harassing ridersĀ on video. You can also wear a helmet cam if you really want to make it known you're recording. I prefer the low profile shoulder/chest cam placement.Ā 

Ā 

• Upvote 1

• chrisjunlee changed the title to Gotway MCM5 review / wheelog šŸ”„