Gotway MCM5 review / wheelog 🔥

chrisjunlee

17 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, AFAIK, the only options today are Z6 & Z10, Z8 is discontinued, and the higher numbers mean bigger packs, which the software allows you more power/speed.

yup only Z6 now which sucks.. 1200W motor and 530 Wh battery lol. there is only one Z10 which is the 1800W/995Wh

45 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, AFAIK, the only options today are Z6 & Z10, Z8 is discontinued, and the higher numbers mean bigger packs, which the software allows you more power/speed.

Is the z10 still a relevant wheel to pick up? No new releases coming up, kinks have been worked out, and no other alternative right?

18 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Is the z10 still a relevant wheel to pick up? No new releases coming up, kinks have been worked out, and no other alternative right?

no new releases planned from ninebot at all, maybe ever i think theyre leaving the EUC business.. kinks have not been worked out theres still a chance of you getting a DOA wheel, theres the phantom battery drain, and the calibration going out of whack every so often as well as other issues that can arise with the board.. choose your seller accordingly if youre willing to take a bit of a gamble or not, most people who ride it absolutely rave about it. it is unique enough to say that as of now no, there is nothing else comparable

Edited by Rywokast
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Many would say no, too slow, too many support issues, and too hard to turn.

I would agree with the first 2 (not the last), but THat 4.1" wide dynamic is what draws me back in every time... I can't find it in any other wheel, puts a smile to my face when I'm back on :lol:

Really, you should just try to find a rider in Seattle that might have one to let you try.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

no new releases planned from ninebot at all, maybe ever i think theyre leaving the EUC business.. 

#fakenews, don't believe everything you hear on YouTube; I'll believe it when I see it.

Ninebot bought Segway for a reason: to backup their gyroscopic PEV devisions. Plus, we've heard the same unfounded rumors after the P Pro debacle and seemingly Ninebot EUC hiatus (minus the S2, which was just a recycle NB1 16").

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

#fakenews, don't believe everything you hear on YouTube; I'll believe it when I see it.

Ninebot bought Segway for a reason: to backup their gyroscopic PEV devisions. Plus, we've heard the same unfounded rumors after the P Pro debacle and seemingly Ninebot EUC hiatus (minus the S2, which was just a recycle NB1 16").

well i hope its fake news haha... i mean selling scooters and other PEVs is a lot more profitable and they seemed to abandon the Z10.. but i mean yea its entirely possible, they will have a very hard time gaining trust from users and good luck finding dealers.. they would have to come up with something very unique again if they want to have any sort of sales volume to make it worth it theres no real shortage of options now today, but im hopeful, besides the Z10 problems they make very high quality stuff, and from the outside you can see the amount of effort and craftsmanship that went into creating the Z10

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Unless, response time is a function of angular deviation. Then, yeah, you'll beat me. 

Of course it is. That is the whole equation of inverted penndulum

@houseofjob

Soft mode is not a controller with more resolution. In fact it is worse controller with a slower response rate, however you are using lag for advantage to put a higher body inclination  and it has damping effect.

36 minutes ago, LucasD said:

@houseofjob

Soft mode is not a controller with more resolution. In fact it is worse controller with a slower response rate, however you are using lag for advantage to put a higher body inclination  and it has damping effect.

Dunno about body inclination, but sorry, I just don't agree with the rest, as this is not what it feels like to me.

I find it interesting that you consider a 14 inch wheel "gigantic".  I learned on an 18 incher, and have a 22 inch Monster 100V en route, and couldn't imagine doing any real distance on a smaller wheel in NYC.  (Our roads, especially in my part of NYC, are minefields).  I hardly think my 18S is tough to manipulate; it's actually quite nimble (or I just got used to it).

Very interested to see what your feedback will be if (and when) you upgrade to an 18"+ wheel.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You're matching my euc addiction footstep in in slightly different order. Mine went mten3, z10, and mcm5. You're welcome to try out my Z10. I'm in Wallingford. 

The bugle on the ankle area of the mcm5 can be reduced by removing the GW sticker and putting on neoprene pads. See picture. I bought 5 feet worth. Happy to give you some if you want to pad up your mcm5.  

IMG_0923.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, LucasD said:

I'm talking from control theory perspective. If they use PID to control, they would increase I (integral part) to have a slower step response rate and more dampening effect...

Er, kinda lost me there a bit, but perhaps yes.

In real world usage to me though, it feels to me like I can control the degree of acceleration much finer, instead of just jamming hard on hard pedals all the time. I really wish I could momentarily share my body so people could feel what I feel, instead of struggling to describe it *smh.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Er, kinda lost me there a bit, but perhaps yes.

In real world usage to me though, it feels to me like I can control the degree of acceleration much finer, instead of just jamming hard on hard pedals all the time. I really wish I could momentarily share my body so people could feel what I feel, instead of struggling to describe it *smh.

:o  I do know that @Hunka Hunka Burning Love is really into VR right now ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, greentung said:

You're matching my euc addiction footstep in in slightly different order. Mine went mten3, z10, and mcm5. You're welcome to try out my Z10. I'm in Wallingford. 

The bugle on the ankle area of the mcm5 can be reduced by removing the GW sticker and putting on neoprene pads. See picture. I bought 5 feet worth. Happy to give you some if you want to pad up your mcm5.  

I was thinking of the z10 next! Do you still ride the mcm5? 

Thank you for the neoprene offer, I take up on that. Are you part of the Seattle e-riders group?

Hi. I took the mcm5 to work today. It's a different beast than the mten3. I thought I made a mistake buying it. But the more I ride the mcm5 the more it grew on me. The torque going up hill is very nice. It's a gradual speed rather than the instant acceleration of the mten3. Unlike the mten3 the mcm5 hill climbing power just keeps coming. 

I have not gotten comfortable with the Z10. I use it when it rain. It's very stable on the road. Just wants to go straight. It's the turning and braking on the Z10 that I have trouble with. Feel like I have to plan ahead on braking or turning. It's like driving a boat. Whereas the mten3 I can just do it on a drop of a dime. 

I have not heard of the Seattle e-rider group. I'll look them up. Thanks. 

I'll PM you for the padding. 

1 hour ago, greentung said:

Hi. I took the mcm5 to work today. It's a different beast than the mten3. I thought I made a mistake buying it. But the more I ride the mcm5 the more it grew on me. The torque going up hill is very nice. It's a gradual speed rather than the instant acceleration of the mten3. Unlike the mten3 the mcm5 hill climbing power just keeps coming. 

I have not gotten comfortable with the Z10. I use it when it rain. It's very stable on the road. Just wants to go straight. It's the turning and braking on the Z10 that I have trouble with. Feel like I have to plan ahead on braking or turning. It's like driving a boat. Whereas the mten3 I can just do it on a drop of a dime. 

I have not heard of the Seattle e-rider group. I'll look them up. Thanks. 

I'll PM you for the padding. 

When did you pick up the MCM5, and how many miles do you have on it? I started getting the hang of it yesterday, at 200 miles :D

Why do you like the Z10 in the rain?

Seattle e-rider group: www.facebook.com/groups/SeattleAreaERiders/

I got the MCM5 two months ago. Haven't checked the mileage. But, I ride to UW and back everyday. It's the low speed on the MCM5 that took the most time to get used to as you might know. On tight figure eights it feel like I could tip over. Whereas the mten3 didn't have that problem with its wider tire. 

I don't know if you were around during the Seattle snow storm early this year. But, I took the Z10 to work in the snow. It actually ride pretty well until snow turned to slush. The 4" tire easily rolled over everything. In the wind and rain it feels very stable. Could be due to the 50lbs wheel weight or large tire patch on the pavement? 

There is a very helpful guy on this board that collects wheels like Liberace collects sparkly clothes. I got the mten3 based on his glowing review. Then the Z10 also on his review. His name rhyme with Smartee :). 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, greentung said:

I got the MCM5 two months ago. Haven't checked the mileage. But, I ride to UW and back everyday. It's the low speed on the MCM5 that took the most time to get used to as you might know. On tight figure eights it feel like I could tip over. Whereas the mten3 didn't have that problem with its wider tire. 

I don't know if you were around during the Seattle snow storm early this year. But, I took the Z10 to work in the snow. It actually ride pretty well until snow turned to slush. The 4" tire easily rolled over everything. In the wind and rain it feels very stable. Could be due to the 50lbs wheel weight or large tire patch on the pavement? 

There is a very helpful guy on this board that collects wheels like Liberace collects sparkly clothes. I got the mten3 based on his glowing review. Then the Z10 also on his review. His name rhyme with Smartee :). 

:roflmao:

57 minutes ago, greentung said:

Love it. I wouldn't have gotten into this hobby if it wasn't for Marty. Before I was riding my bike to work under my OWN power like an fool. Life is much easier and better on an euc. I've strolled my daughter to sleep with euc. I've taken out the garbage on an euc. Snowball fighting with the neighbor on the euc. Very tricky to accurately throw a snowball or dodge while riding. 

:D 

I'm curious. Did you randomly come across one of my YouTube videos or ... ?

Exactly Marty. I watched your youtube videos. Unfortunately it was after I got the Luffy. That thing is a toy compared to the other wheels. I got the mten3 based on your review and rode it down the rabbit hole. Now I am contemplating adding the 16X after the first shipment/beta testing round. Looking forward to your review of the 16X. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, greentung said:

Exactly Marty. I watched your youtube videos. Unfortunately it was after I got the Luffy. That thing is a toy compared to the other wheels. I got the mten3 based on your review and rode it down the rabbit hole. Now I am contemplating adding the 16X after the first shipment/beta testing round. Looking forward to your review of the 16X. 

Always nice to know that some of my videos serve the intended function of feeding the addiction :)

== Day 3 - Sat, 7/13/2019 ==

Made today a riding day running errands. Went across the 520 highway bike pass, and boy did that drain the battery. Good thing I brought the rapid charger and was resourceful in my search for power outlets. Overall, put on 69 miles on the MCM5.

Tip: parking garages usually have accessible power. 40 minutes on the 5A rapid charger took battery from 63% to 95%!

Displaying 20190713_194223.jpg

Boosting up at my old workplace before heading back home.

Displaying 20190713_205008.jpg

Edited by chrisjunlee

• chrisjunlee changed the title to Gotway MCM5 review / wheelog 🔥