Kens

US-China Trade War

On 7/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, LanghamP said:

And the US is full of these old super (poisoned) sites! Ridiculous that US citizens want to import that shit back here via industry and mining, when our quality of life greatly improved once we moved it out.

The problem in general is people tend to take the good stuff in our lives from granted, without regards to how these things came into place or how quickly they can disappear if we change some things.

I see exactly the same in Europe, where more and more people want to get rid of the European Union. They want that all while at the same time living the good live thanks to:

- no more roaming costs (you can go anywhere in the EU with your mobile phone and call and use data at the same price as at home)

- in lots of countries you pay with the same currency (no need for exchanging money, being stuck with coins and notes you will store somewhere to forget you have them on your next trip, and losing money every time you exchange your currency)

- you can easily order online from plenty of stores in other EU countries, with cheap shipping and no taxation / import duties to pay, or just buy stuff abroad and bring it with you.

- you can easily move around between countries without losing heaps of times at customs or needing visa/documents/...

- you can go work in any country in the EU

- certification for food / toys / ... is regulated on a European level, so you know that the norms applied are the same everywhere and that there is verification of the safety of consumer goods. Same for the contents of certain foods/drinks. It is regulated what can can't be in some of those things so at least you know that the name represents a certain set of ingredients

- the fact that we have 1 market gives us a lot more negotiation leverage when discussing for instance the above point

- stability and therefore peace

- I can go on and on

But no, we want to throw all that under the bus (imagine negotiating all the above points except of course for the currency, which would simply be impossible, in bilateral agreements with all other countries individually, or what importance a small country like Belgium or The Netherlands would have when negotiating trade with a country such as the USA ... what a nightmare) because FOREIGNERS, REFUGEES and ISLAM!!!!

Same with Brexit. Most brexiteers insist on getting stuff back to the UK which is already under UK supervision. They want to take back control over their borders. Well guess what, the UK is not a part of Schengen, so they do already have control over their borders. You can't just go visit the UK without passing border control. They want to get rid of all the money going to Europe, in the mean time forgetting the money Europe pours into certain regions in the UK. And then all of the sudden they realise that if they get their "hard border", there will also be a "hard border" between the United Kingdom and Ireland, because Ireland stays in the EU, and nobody really has a solution for that.

And then they want to turn the clock back to a pre-EU period and negotiate trade independently, as if the EU never existed, getting mad at the EU for not wanting to play along in their game. Well, guess what, if you decide to divorce from me how do you expect me to behave as if we were never together before and negotiate stuff from a neutral standpoint? That's not going to happen, moreover as doing this would show other countries with lots of nationalist citizens that there is an easy way out if they feel like it. They like to use Switzerland as the perfect example, while not understanding that:

- Switzerland pays the EU and has to implement a lot of EU rules to have access to the EU market

- Switzerland has no part in the EU decision taking process while having to apply those rules (what do you prefer, having to implement rules and have a say in them, or having to implement them without having a say in them?)

- These constructions are such a clusterfuck that the EU rather not do this again and I guess in hindsight they would have never done them in the first place.

- Switzerland is part of Schengen, unlike the UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland–European_Union_relations

/rant over

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, LanghamP said:

Oh boy .. just watched it. My first idea "WTF, spraying oil on roads, that will be good for the soil ..." little did I know of what was coming next.

This is just insane, and I guess just one story out of many. Pretty sure we don't know half of what happens with some industrial waste, even with the chemical knowledge and regulations we have today.

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Oh boy .. just watched it. My first idea "WTF, spraying oil on roads, that will be good for the soil ..." little did I know of what was coming next.

This is just insane, and I guess just one story out of many. Pretty sure we don't know half of what happens with some industrial waste, even with the chemical knowledge and regulations we have today.

Used oil and rubber is bad enough, and commonly used for roads and parking lots, but dioxide is on another level entirely. Industrial waste is best moved out of your country, although favor not making the product in the first place. Now while the video showed all those houses being bought out by the Federal Government Superfund, that still means that expense was paid for, but distributed among many.

Gas stations are almost always huge and deadly polluters, and are often super fund sites that cost 2 or 3 million dollars to clean up. The benzene vapors are known to be dangerous, and decommissioned gas stations almost always have rusted and leaking underground tanks. And all gas stations will eventually have severe end of life problems, because the equipment is both useless and contaminated. Ridiculous that the cost of decommissioned gas stations aren't taken into account, because the cost of clean up of a 20 year gas station (their lifespan) can easily exceed whatever profits they make. That is, the taxes from such a gas station is likely not to cover the cost of tax payer clean up.

In contrast, a charge plug leaks no dangerous chemicals, and the copper wire can be easily salvaged and sold. Even if you have to spend a million dollars putting in the heaviest duty charging station (appropriate for city buses, trailers, etc...), it's still several times cheaper than Superfunding a contaminated gas stations.

• Upvote 1