Jump to content
Flyboy10

Longest 18XL Ride

Recommended Posts

On 7/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, RoadRunner said:

Two weeks ago i did a range test, made 107km with 15% juice left.

BE818087-FF9B-4B3A-B7ED-7FD928045D03.thumb.jpeg.8f613929c76f2a6991c750bc5a30bd44.jpeg42F49443-CD2C-4B7E-8F79-08CA3B73D4D2.thumb.jpeg.a131fda9e8cdd6a3946f1d24802ffe41.jpeg

See now, this is more like it. 30 miles? 35 miles? On an 18XL? Pshaw! I ride quite aggressively; especially, when I ride alone. Even with my most aggressive riding I am certain that I could do much better than that. Where are you guys riding? In Caves? :D I have +90 km with about +/- 30% juice remaining. My Co-Glydiator @Yanex87 does substantially  better than that.

As far as I'm concerned, 10% - 15% is a substantial difference in range parlance. On a plus 50 mile trip that is a minimum of 5 to 7.5 miles; the difference between being stranded 5 miles from home or making it home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I really don't think you can put that exact number on it. Speed seems OK on my wheel, distance is maybe 10-12% too high. But GPS and similar systems do not measure the ground roll distance if you are carving. So in the end there will be a 2 measure distance if you ride from A to B. Riders weight and tyre pressure and wear will change so question is what do you expect, it will never be exact messure.

I agree, but only partially.  Using wheel revolutions to measure speeds and distance can be more accurate than GPS distance, assuming appropriate calibration.  Bicycle computers use wheel revolutions and are quite accurate when set up correctly.  GPS samples position relatively infrequently (especially on phones that are trying to balance battery usage vs. position accuracy), so GPS speed/distance is less accurate when there are lots of curved paths involved.  All that said, if I'm on my KS wheel going 20mph per KS app (or DarknessBot), and I'm on a perfectly straight path (as perfectly straight as possible), a GPS speedometer reads 16mph in my case.  I'm not saying all KS wheels are exactly 20% off, but this one is, and apparently so are others.  It grossly over-measures distance and speed, to a degree that GPS inaccuracies and carving/weaving and curved paths cannot even begin to explain.

On a 50-mile bike ride, if I track via the accurate bike computer and via the phone at the same time (using an app), the instantaneous speed reading at any point in time is very close (within 0.1mph), although GPS reading on the phone lags behind the bike computer's reading from the wheel sensor, and the final odometer reading is within 0.3 miles.  That's less than 1% error.  I'm sure if I rode my bike by doing constant S-turns and other unusual maneuvers I could greatly increase this error margin, but I doubt I could raise it to 20% unless doing near-acrobatic maneuvers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 3:37 AM, Flyboy10 said:

 

The APP name? i would like to download this APP if it can work in China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Micheal Shen said:

The APP name? i would like to download this APP if it can work in China.

Relive is the app that makes that cool arial video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Relive is the app that makes that cool arial video

image.thumb.png.8838b52631dfa327747b6aaff189d35d.png

This APP doesn't work in China :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. China is slowly going back to being a dystopia. :(

Can't you use a VPN on your phone?

#########################
Actually, it probably wouldn't work anyway because of China's intentionally screwed up coordinate system.

 

Edited by atdlzpae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

Yep. China is slowly going back to being a dystopia. :(

Can't you use a VPN on your phone?

#########################
Actually, it probably wouldn't work anyway because of China's intentionally screwed up coordinate system.

 

Haha, True, google map are not allowed by China Government, as well as other e-map.

Yeah, i use VPN to make it work, but open VPN and use Google map will eat my mobile power fast.

Edited by Micheal Shen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I weight about 180 lbs and get 50 miles from my XL from full to empty on hilly terrain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 3:27 AM, RoadRunner said:

Two weeks ago i did a range test, made 107km with 15% juice left.

BE818087-FF9B-4B3A-B7ED-7FD928045D03.thumb.jpeg.8f613929c76f2a6991c750bc5a30bd44.jpeg42F49443-CD2C-4B7E-8F79-08CA3B73D4D2.thumb.jpeg.a131fda9e8cdd6a3946f1d24802ffe41.jpeg

Wow, nice one, was that non-stop? Or did you take some breaks? If on one go, respect, 6h straight riding. Impressive. 

That sounds right as I can do about 60km (GPS) on the 18L (about 25% left, 25km/h avg speed) which has 2/3 of the battery of the 18XL. 

Edited by Jean Dublin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Wow, nice one, was that non-stop? Or did you take some breaks? If on one go, respect, 6h straight riding. Impressive. 

That sounds right as I can do about 60km (GPS) on the 18L (about 25% left, 25km/h avg speed) which has 2/3 of the battery of the 18XL. 

Of course i did breaks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Of course i did breaks. 

Tour De France style, peeing while riding :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got about 95 gps kilometers with 11% remaining. 106 km on the app. Rode pretty fast. The time and average speed include all the breaks. Didn’t have to limit my speed and even at the very end I could have gone 40 km/h. 

C756D190-FBCA-4BB6-993F-9FABACD21D1B.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Tour De France style, peeing while riding :lol:

Just ride backwards and unzip....  easy "pee"sy

Edited by Flyboy10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Of course i did breaks. 

I asked because otherwise someone may think the average speed is the speed you kept most of the time, but with breaks, mainly long enough ones, the average speed just goes low, making people think you got  that range by going at a very slow pace, which isn't the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

I asked because otherwise someone may think the average speed is the speed you kept most of the time, but with breaks, mainly long enough ones, the average speed just goes low, making people think you got  that range by going at a very slow pace, which isn't the case.

22km avg isn't bad, if you consider you have to slow down regularly for intersections and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

22km avg isn't bad, if you consider you have to slow down regularly for intersections and such.

I agree, that's why I thought it maybe was without breaks haha, but 22km/h average keeps more battery. 

Maybe he was actually doing 30km/h average (that's very fast) and the breaks brought it down to 22, so getting +100km range with 30km/h avg speed would be very impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...