Longest 18XL Ride

FlyboyEUC

10 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Just wondering who has the record for longest ride on a single charge on the 18XL. I did a 50 mile mountain ride and had 4 lights left. Going to plan on doing a 70 mile ride one of these weekends. @Marty Backe @Lutalo @18XL owners

I've only done ~62-miles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flyboy10 said:

Just wondering who has the record for longest ride on a single charge on the 18XL. I did a 50 mile mountain ride and had 4 lights left. Going to plan on doing a 70 mile ride one of these weekends. @Marty Backe @Lutalo @18XL owners

@Yanex87 Did over 50 last week (estimated) on our last ride together with our Friends visiting from Canada to ride with us. I doubt seriously that this is the longest; however, the most amazing thing is not the distance. The most amazing thing was the remaining charge after he finished the 50 miles. I think that he was at something like 50%. I feel that he could have gone another 40 miles maybe more; unbelievable. 

On the same ride me and @JBinBalt chickened out and recharged back to 80% at the 30 mile mark. It was a +60 mile ride for those of us who completed it. @Yanex87 jumped off at the 50 mile; since the route took us past his house. At the end we were looking at about 50% battery with a brief recharge.  I’m sure that I could have made the entire ride.  My 18L (ridden by my son) and another’s 16s were beeping and screaming loudly by the end of the ride, but they both made it.

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

@Yanex87 Did over 50 last week (estimated) on our last ride together with our Friends visiting from Canada to ride with us. I doubt seriously that this is the longest; however, the most amazing thing is not the distance. The most amazing thing was the remaining charge after he finished the 50 miles. I think that he was at something like 50%. I feel that he could have gone another 40 miles maybe more; unbelievable. 

On the same ride me and @JBinBalt chickened out and recharged back to 80% at the 30 mile mark. It was a +60 mile ride for those of us who completed it. @Yanex87 jumped off at the 50 mile; since the route took us past his house. At the end we were looking at about 50% battery with a brief recharge.  I’m sure that I could have made the entire ride.  My 18L (ridden by my son) and another’s 16s were beeping and screaming loudly by the end of the ride, but they both made it.

@Yanex87 gets crazy range!  He's not a big dude, but he does wear a lot of protective gear and carries a lot of stuff.  He is always the guy with air pump, first aid kit, flashlight or whatever else you need but didn't bring, so he's really not running a light as you'd link.  As for charging at 30mi, my wheel and I are having trust issues right now, so eliminate whatever risk I can, lol.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JBinBalt said:

@Yanex87 gets crazy range!  He's not a big dude, but he does wear a lot of protective gear and carries a lot of stuff.  He is always the guy with air pump, first aid kit, flashlight or whatever else you need but didn't bring, so he's really not running a light as you'd link.  As for charging at 30mi, my wheel and I are having trust issues right now, so eliminate whatever risk I can, lol.

Very true, but even fully loaded he’s 50 pounds lighter than me.:roflmao:

13 minutes ago, who_the said:

What do you think I would get the way I ride? Serious question. 

About 10-miles :laughbounce2:

But seriously, if ridden aggressively (and of course you know that the XL would keep you from riding Jesse style throughout the entire battery range) I think the XL would probably get you 35+ miles.

From my testing experience with the XL, it's gets you about 10-percent further than the MSX. So what's your range on the MSX?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, who_the said:

30 comfortable, no nanny miles. Last 10 or so are beepy and less fun. 

I was close :)Then I would expect about the same with the XL

I've ridden my 18S with 1680Wh battery 34 miles with 40% battery left according to Darknessbot.  They weren't easy miles either, lots of stop and go and hard acceleration.  I know it's not an XL, but figure it could be useful.  The wheel starts getting tilty on me around that point unfortunately.  

Just now, RoadRunner said:

Two weeks ago i made a range test, made 107km with 15% juice left.

BE818087-FF9B-4B3A-B7ED-7FD928045D03.thumb.jpeg.8f613929c76f2a6991c750bc5a30bd44.jpeg42F49443-CD2C-4B7E-8F79-08CA3B73D4D2.thumb.jpeg.a131fda9e8cdd6a3946f1d24802ffe41.jpeg

Your average speed is about 11 mph, so that seems right actually. My average speed on the 18S is closer to 16-17 MPH depending on road conditions.

4 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Your average speed is about 11 mph, so that seems right actually

Well i don’t know how they calculate the average speed, but i tell you what i ride pretty fast most of the time. :)

3 hours ago, Micheal Shen said:

Haha, bcz the time that your APP connect with the wheel is 6 hours.

Yep, Wheel on during the breaks. 

Hey @Micheal Shen now that you are here. Can you tell us if you are planning to fix the mileage error? The app shows about 20% higher mileage consistently. Could apply to speed also. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Yep, Wheel on during the breaks. 

Hey @Micheal Shen now that you are here. Can you tell us if you are planning to fix the mileage error? The app shows about 20% higher mileage consistently. Could apply to speed also. 

ha ha,  i explain it to many users.

GPS Speedometer and wheel speed is different, GPS Speedometer is less than the wheel speed. As weel as GPS distance and mileage in APP.

We consider reducing mileage in APP to satisfy riders, instead of wheel speed.

22 minutes ago, Micheal Shen said:

ha ha,  i explain it to many users.

GPS Speedometer and wheel speed is different, GPS Speedometer is less than the wheel speed. As weel as GPS distance and mileage in APP. 

We consider reducing mileage in APP to satisfy riders, instead of wheel speed. 

I agree that GPS speed is less accurate than the wheel speed. The GPS measures need "Differential Correction" after the measurements (corrections to be done at home) or, alternatively, the GPS has to be connected to an expensive antenna when it is measuring.

Also, the KS APP shows an unrealistic distance (1.14-1.19 times the real one). This fact can be corroborated simply by comparing the actual mileage from an accurate map, road location marker or milestone and the range displayed in the APP.

10 minutes ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

I agree that GPS speed is less accurate than the wheel speed. The GPS measures need "Differential Correction" after the measurements (corrections to be done at home) or, alternatively, the GPS has to be connected to an expensive antenna when it is measuring.

Also, the KS APP shows an unrealistic distance (1.14-1.19 times the real one). This fact can be corroborated simply by comparing the actual mileage from an accurate map, road location marker or milestone and the range displayed in the APP.

Yeah, mileage in APP is longer than real one. Sometimes, not riding in straight line. Sometimes, wheel is idling and so on

mileage in APP is just calculating the rotate laps, and I think reduce mileage in APP to make it more close to physical distance is helpful.

Also many distributors think this change may be more meaningful for riders. :)

• Upvote 3

62 miles according to GPS. 75 miles according to WheelLog.

I'll post the footage later

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Upvote 1

On 7/12/2019 at 11:05 AM, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

Almost every modern smartphone use GPS receiver that employ SBAS correction technique (EGNOS or WAAS). Moreover, they are mostly multi-constellation receivers, so they can fuse results obtained simultaneously using GPS and GLONASS (at least). Many newer receivers can also use Galileo and Baidou systems. Of course there are situations that GPS receiver will be inaccurate (especially in dense urban areas with tall buildings etc.), but in general this method of distance/speed metering is precise enough to use as a reference for our needs.

Wheel gives instant information about speed and this information should be considered primary, but speed information sent by many KS wheels is inflated by about 20 %. Because of this, euc.world WheelLog users now can apply custom correction to speed and distance, so they will be in line with GPS-based information that may be considered real and used as a reference.

Piling on the off-topic part of this thread about inaccurate distance/speed reporting: This is my biggest issue with my new KS18XL wheel.  It reports inflated speed and distance via BLE.  GPS speed reading inaccuracy is not sufficient to explain this, as a it's clear in testing known distances that distance is inflated by 20(ish) percent, and the distance reading is derived from the same wheel revolution data as the speed reading.  The speed is therefore as inaccurate as the distance.

Apart from having to constantly think in "KS miles" vs "real miles" when looking at miles ridden and speeds ridden at, this also means that the 18XL's real maximum speed before tiltback is closer to 25mph (40kmh) than the 31mph (50kmh) the specs claim.  I'm personally OK with my wheel only going up to 25mph, by the way, as I'd like to keep some of my skin and bones if I take a big tumble, but it's not accurate when advertising to the speed demons who want to ride the tiltback and go as fast as possible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Wheel gives instant information about speed and this information should be considered primary, but speed information sent by many KS wheels is inflated by about 20 %.

I really don't think you can put that exact number on it. Speed seems OK on my wheel, distance is maybe 10-12% too high. But GPS and similar systems do not measure the ground roll distance if you are carving. So in the end there will be a 2 measure distance if you ride from A to B. Riders weight and tyre pressure and wear will change so question is what do you expect, it will never be exact messure.