18L Shakes!!!

tsquaremedia

On 8/3/2019 at 10:27 AM, Dylan Weidman said:

You fix it yet? The cracked inner shell was definitely the problem. I replaced mine and it rides better than ever. I knew we had the same problem! Good Timing!

Yes once I figured out the inner shell was cracked, I was able to plastic weld it back together with a soldering iron. Works like a charm!

Apparently this is a known issue with the 18L and Kingsong addressed it by reinforced their inner shell on their later batches.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well thanks guys! I had the same issue with my XL. It started as a little shaking whenever I would stop. But eventually now it shakes almost all the time. I now know why. Took it apart and sure enough, both inner shells were super damaged. (Attached picture). I had recently replaced the motor, I wonder if I had put too much stress on it and cracked it when disassembly or reassembly.

18xl-inner0shell.jpg

Just wanted to issue a PSA... DO NOT use loctite anywhere near these shells. Unless it is formulated for plastic and says it is. Again, do not use loctite near these plastic shells...

Thanks for the writeups guys. Yeah, I heard the original a8L shells were prone to crack. I think the black ones were worse, but i dont recall. I have an 18L and will keep this in mind for sure. I'd imagine its just a matter or time before my baby starts cracking up too.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, tsquaremedia said:

Yes once I figured out the inner shell was cracked, I was able to plastic weld it back together with a soldering iron. Works like a charm!

Apparently this is a known issue with the 18L and Kingsong addressed it by reinforced their inner shell on their later batches.

Something to look at when I change my tire...I'm over 2K miles...maybe 2.5k. (As I keep saying I need to change my tire).

51 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Something to look at when I change my tire...I'm over 2K miles...maybe 2.5k. (As I keep saying I need to change my tire).

Im hitting that 2k miles soon and its only been 5 months of ownership. My tire still has all the treads so I am curious if there is anything I should look at soon. I don't do jumps or high drops to prevent stressing the structure of the wheel.  

@Waulnut I've seen a lot of things you SHOULD and SHOULDN'T do.

The good news is that if everything is running good, you shouldn't have to do anything for several thousand miles.

I have already changed my tubes 2 times on this wheel, and even though my middle is fairly bald, I have not worn through the tire yet. These tires are pretty sturdy. And, I did find removing the tire on the 18L much easier than my 16S.  And I had to change my main board once....not wanting to do that too much.

Some other things I am aware of checking;

*Screws and bolts (the shell screws seem to strip easily, so I have a bag of replacements). Of course the main bolts in the middle should be checked to be in good shape.

*Wiring . check for burnt wires (esp battery/motor), stripped wires from vibration/rubbing...etc.

*Possible lubrication. I know people have posted that...I have not done it yet.

*Overall damage to wheel hubs, other mechanical inspections.

But yeah...I do not ride much every day...maybe 5 or 6 miles, sometimes 10-20 miles on weekends, I don't do jumps, and keep it on flat pavement as much as I can...so It's still in really good shape.

• Like 2